140 NBT vs 140 Accubond

MarkA

I have been getting good results (accuracy/speed) from the 140 BT in 7wsm and was wondering how the 140 accubond behaves comparitivly.

With all the talk of bullet frangibilty with the NBT at WSM speeds approaching 3300 I have just switched to the accubond without ever using the NBT on game!

Any speed differences at same load or POI difference?

Just wondering what to expect.

I have only compaired the 150gr ballistic tips and 150gr accubonds out of a 30-06Ai and they shot to roughlythe same POI the accubonds went about 1" higher in the groups but they grouped very well with the exact same load data as was used with the Ballistic tips.
Some guys say that they foul a little more than the BT's but I haven't noticed in a 3 groove Lilja

Point of impact and accuracy are identical in my model 70 . NBT works fine on lightly built game in my experience . Haven't noticed that the 140 accubond is noticeably better so far . Accubond won't give full penetration on chest shot feral donkeys which weigh perhaps 500lb . Maybe the 160gn would be a better choice for serious penetration ?

I used to shoot 140 SGK with excellent accuracy. The problem was, even on broadside shots, I seldom had pass throughs on whitetails. A friend of mine said they seemed to act like the BT's his 7mm shot. EXPLOSIVE!!! I wanted the ability to shoot a deer head on or through the shoulders if that was my only shot opportunity, and I just did not feel comfortable. So I switched to the Accubonds. I have not looked back. These things are just as accurate as my SGKs, and those were accurate.

I should also mention that I shot a decent size doe (2 1/2 yrs old) this fall during a cull hunt. I shot her facing me. The bullet hit just to the inside of her right shoulder and passed all the way through. The bullet exited through the pelvic area!!! She was only about a 100yrds, but I was impressed. This is out of my .280 pushing the bullets at about 3000fps.

They expand good, and I have the penetration, so they're a winner in my book!

No experience in the 7 but have used both BTs (150) and NABs (140) in 270 cal.

Both shoot awsome. Both do great work on deer. But at 3600 FPS MV I opted for the NAB as it has shown to always retain the core which would almost guarantee greater penetration over the Ballistic Tip.

For deer sized animals either one would serve equally well would be my guess....

Just about the same point of impact and velocity in my 7mm Rem Mags. The NAB hit about 1/2" higher at 100 yds out of my rifle. Accuracy was very similar with both bullets - I'd give a slight advantage to the AB in my rifles over the BTs.

All in all you will see little difference in velocity, POI, and accuracy. The ABs will cause a little less meat damage around the wound channel based on my experiences with black bears and dall sheep.

Last edited:
I also shoot a WSM (270WSM). I will not use BTips for hunting with my rifle but will shoot AccuBombs for all my hunting. They hold together better at the higher impact speeds seen at my shorter shooting ranges (when compared to some here). If I was dropping deer at 500 yards on a regular basis I would shoot BTips. I have had reliable performance on deers and hogs out to my longest thus far (225yards hog) Impact velocities range from 3200 down to just shy of 3000FPS (per my chrono and Pointblank). 140grain Accubond and max load of H1000.

Maybe its because I am pretty new to loading, ballistics and long range
that I do not have tunnel vision (Please DO NOT take that wrong)
I have been hunting for about 40 years and have always just used factory rounds.
For many reasons I have started to change the way I hunt and the cost of Ammo has made me become a loader and researcher of HOW and WHY.

I keep reading where people are not happy unless they have a pass thru shot so they can follow a blood trail.
I have track many blood trails (good and Bad) and it is not something that I really want to do when I can have a Bullet that expends ALL of it energy into the animal rather than the hillside behind it.

Energy= shock and trauma (JELLO Organs) causing close to instant death.
Why would you want to trail a wounded animal till it bleeds out like an arrow shot when you can SLAM him to the ground?

Please, I am not trying to get a fire going here, just trying to justifie it all
in my newbie, unpolluted mind.

CAN YOU SAY BERGER VLD:rolleyes:

Mike

I like both and use both depending on how long the shot is.

The accubond has an expansion rate somewhere between the ballistic tip
and the partition.

So I use the partition up close ( 200 yrds an in ) the accubond at medium
range ( 200 to 500 yrds ) and the ballistic past 500yrds at 7 WSM velocitys.

The range is extended with the 7STW and the 7 RUMs velocitys.

J E CUSTOM

As a small time guide (for a local AF bombing range, different story). I deal with about 100 shot deer each year. Bang flop is a dream most of the time and those only happen when the shot hits the neck or back. I have tracked many very well hit deer. A simple doe with her lungs blown out can go more than a couple hundred of yards in a swamp. The deal I am getting at is a bullet is a bullet. I trust Accubombs will work and not to come apart at WSM speeds. Rarely do normal folks shoot well enough to hit anything beyond 100 yards. The Accubomb is the bullet I suggest they purchase. Most box ammo can be bought with them. I don't like non-bonded bullets in any deer rifle. A deer can be shot from a stand at all ranges, 10 to 350 yards where I guide and I have to insure the bullet the hunter is using will work from "here to there".

Personal experience and many tracked deer tell me, get a pass through it will bleed and we will find it. No pass through, little blood, often lost deer in SC swamps. Shoot a stout bullet.

Men, i need a little info on the accubond. I'm working up some loads with AB and want to know if you have better results seating them close or jumping them, if jumping how many k's usually

thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.