130 vld vs 140 vld vs 140 amax for hunting

bretterath

I can't decide which bullet to use, is there much difference in velocity between the 130 vld and the 140 vld and has anyone used the 140 amax for deer hunting they are a lot cheaper to shoot but i have been leaning towards the 140 vld. I know i should get all three of them and try, but looking for an opinion what you guys think. I want to find one bullet for hunting and steel. Thanks

A buddy of mine used the AMax and found it to be too fragile at the shorter ranges. I have taken a dozen deer and antelope between 200 and 1000 yards with 140 Berger Hunting VLD's with excellent results. On all chest shots, 1/2-1" enhance, 3" exit. Massive internal damage. Never tried the 130's. I prefer the higher BC and sectional density over the higher muzzle velocity. I get 2965FPS MV out of my 6.5x284.

thanks for the info i have a 260 that my wife shoots and was also wondering what the difference in the 130 and 140 vld would be if it would be much different if i went with the 140 she is shooting accubonds right now that are great but want to find a load she can use for both steel and hunting

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts