125gr BT Ballistics for new 300-WSM Project

wildcat

Here is some pretty interesting ballistic info on the 125grn ballistic tip. I am building a new project (300-WSM) in which I am designing the whole rifle around the 110grn V-Max and 125grn Nosler Ballistic Tip. Here is what it can do out to 1000 yards in terms of come up or MOA elevation. The barrel is a 30" Krieger with a 1-15 twist and the bullet will be traveling 4000+fps, the BC is .366 and weight is 125grns, powder used will be Vhitivoria N550, primer Federal 215 Match, Norma Brass. With the rifle sighted in at 200 yards, the come up is as follows;
200 YARDS=Rifle sighted in at this range
300 YARDS=1-MOA
400 YARDS=2.5-MOA
500 YARDS=4.5-MOA
600 YARDS=6.5-MOA
700 YARDS=9.1/4-MOA
800 YARDS=11.5-MOA
900 YARDS= 14.1/4-MOA
1000 YARDS=18.1/4-MOA

That is one flat shooting combo. Now if the wind comes up, I realize the higher BC bullets would be much better, however, the wind is not bad where we shoot so it will not be a problem. This rifle is being built for varmint shooting from 100 to 1000 yards. Here are the specs;

1. 300-WSM Match Chamber .333 tight neck
2. Lawton 7500 Action, 1.450 Dia, Fluted Bolt, Oversized bolt knob
3. Krieger 30", 1-15 twist, 1.350 tapered to 1.250, throated for 125 grn Ballistic Tip
4. McMillan Tooley MBR stock, 80%Black, 10%White, 10%Grey, 5lbs lead added, removable front stud for Bi-pod use
5. Jewel 2oz trigger
6. Vias Muzzel Brake
7. Lawton 20MOA Scope base
8. Nightforce 30mm Rings
9. Nightforce 8x32x56mm NXS w/Double Dot Reticle
10. Rifle will weight 25 lbs

This rifle and bullet combo will be perfect for varmint hunting out to 1000 yards. It will be a very flat shooting rig with some very destructive results on varmints.

Let me know if you guys get different come up charts, I would like to see what you guys get.

Wildcat

I would not be worried about the come ups. This is what I would be worried about:

WIND deflection in MOA of 125 @ 4000 fps vs. 210 Amax @ 2800 fps

500 yds 3.25 vs 2.25
600 yds 4 vs 3.25
700 yds 4.75 vs 3.75
800 yds 5.75 vs 4.5
900 yds 6.75 vs 5.25
1000yds 8 vs 6

I've tried the 125s and yes they are explosive but once you pass 500 yds they suck. You'll be much better served w/a hevier bullet.

I know there not the greatest bullet if the wind picks up, however, we do not have much wind where we shoot here in California. Also, the information you provided, for the 125grn BT, is not that bad for MOA adjsutment in the wind. Most of the shots I will be taking with this rifle will be from 400 to 600 yards. I wanted something super flat, accurate, and devastating on varmints out to 1000 yards. Once, I start shooting past 1000 yards I will go to the higher BC bullets. I am hoping to have Kirby build a 338 Allen Mag soon, that will take care of the wind problems in the future.
I've taliked to many shooters who are using this bullet for varmint hunting, in calm conditions, out to 1000 yards with great accuracy and knock down power. I've also seen it in action, and I was impressed. I will admit, I have not seen it shot in windy conditions, however, like I said we do not have much wind were we shoot. Anyhow, thanks for the info. I am looking forward to hearing how your new 338 Allen Mag shoots.

Jake

Hey wildcat this is a very Interesting project I have a 300 wsm That I used to take 2 cariboo in canada with both of them was so close to 500 yards with my rangefinder I just dialed in the 500 yard elevation on my 6.5x20 leup. If you have not already done so you should go to www.richardscustomrifles.com and look at the video of his groundhog hunting video using the 300 wsm.

Killahog, I saw the video it's awesome. The damage is very impressive. The video shows a 20lbs groundhog being hit by a 125grn Ballistic tip, from the 300-WSM. The video shows the groundhog being thrown five feet into the air and splatters the 20lbs hog into pieces, it's awesome stuff!

Jake

That is a cool project. Would also make a heck of a bean field rifle on whitetails. For what you want would it not be better to do the 300 WSM necked to 7mm pushing 120 grain Ballistic Tips w/ B.C. .417

Dimescover, I thought about that too, but I did not want all the hassel of necking down and fireforming the brass for a little more BC. See, Norma is not making brass for the 7mm-WSM yet, so you have to neck down the Norma 300-WSM brass and than fireform it. The 7mm-WSM has a different shoulder angle. If Norma starts making 7mm-WSM Brass, I will have to order a 7mm barrel and change when a burn the barrel out on the 300-WSM. It is going to be an awesome project. I received an e-mail from a well known gunsmith who is shooting this exact same rifle, and he is getting 4" groups at 800 yards in good weather conditions. He is also getting 1 ragged hole groups at 200 yards aswell as a 6 shot group at 100 yards measuring .162 and that equals a 1.62" group at 1000 yards. I don't know about you, but that's some awesome accuracy with the 125grn BT. Anyhow, as soon as she is completed, I will post picks and group sizes. It should be one hell of 1000 yard varmint rig!

Jake

He is also getting 1 ragged hole groups at 200 yards aswell as a 6 shot group at 100 yards measuring .162 and that equals a 1.62" group at 1000 yards. Jake

Sounds like an awesome varmint rig! I don't think you can multiply 100 yd group size by a factor of 10 and predict 1000 yard group size, though. Admittedly I have never shot that far for groups--600 yds max--but I know my groups tend to get a little bigger in moa as distance increases. I think the two factors other than the shooter would be wind drift (big one even with slight wind as distance increases with a modest BC) and ES of velocity. A load with a large ES can shoot tiny 100 yd groups but I would think vertical spread would become a factor as yardage increases.

Sounds like a cool project, be sure to keep us posted!

Sam

Hey, this .162 at 100=1.62 at 1000 sounds very familiar! Perhaps this will shed some light on Fiftydriver's "long range experts" post.

Uh-oh, not to be a killjoy here, but telling your rifle what powder it likes, what bullet it likes, and what it is going to do accuracy wise and bc wise before you actually get the thing built is a little premature methinks.

GG, I decided against this project. It sounded great at first. However, after some more investigation and some comments from others on this site, I decided to build something different.

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.