125 to 130 grain bullets for 308 win

I get the impression Whitetail are not that big. I have used Nosler BT on Fallow and pigs.
I've tried some Copper bullets as they can be light for cal and very effective so they can aid in low recoil loads without losing performance.

whitetail are a very diverse critter some can be 90lbs full grown and some 300 lbs just depends what part of the country you are in but a 125 or 130 mono would work on any of them I like the 150 class mono in a 308 but thats just me

125 Nosler BT or Sierra Pro Hunter 46 grs IMR 4895 WW case, CCI BR2 is what I use but it shoots just about as good in Rem cases with different primers. Work up to this load for yourself. This runs right at 3000 fps and SMOKES deer. I prefer the 125 Nosler BT. I use this bullet in all my 30 cal stuff for deer. Just keep the impact velocity under 3000 fps and you will be ok. Best impact velocity is 2800 fps and under. Oh, felt recoil seems about half of what a 150 gr load is. My buddy and I came up with this load trying to find a lower recoil load for his girlfriend to use in a 308 win. Mission accomplished, she became a deer killing machine.
N 140 works weii also.

110 grain ttsx. 3300 fps out of my 10yr old sons ruger compact 308. 16" bbl. 10 twist.
It's a killer. He's killed a bunch of deer under my supervision. Most all of them dead within sight. Occasional gut shot trails are longer of course. This gun is feather light, and with a good brake, has very little recoil. This load shoots 1/2 moa in this Gun. He started shooting it at 7 yrs old. Longest kill was 140 lb whitetail doe at 408 yards. Entered shoulder and exited last rib. His biggest buck was 175lbs. Shot him facing us at 105 yards. Entered off center chest and exited hind qtr. I hope to one day retrieve a bullet to inspect the expansion and weight retention.

I'm looking at trying some of those I have a load for the 150 grain ttsx bullets already but haven't got to try them on anything yet
If you are going to load Barnes shoot them hot and lite 110 and 130 TTSX will do a good job , shot many deer with them from 80 pound does' to 300 pound bucks , I recovered 1 bullet 130TTSX shot through at 350 yds sitting on the ground that passed through and went into a 4" sapling . Use the Barnes book , monolithic bullets develop pressure faster than lead core softer bullets . IMR 4064 was my powder , a good powder forgotten by many present day reloaders . JMHO

My 13 year old shot this deer with 125g Nosler BT from a 30-06 a couple weeks ago. Knocked the little deer right off it's feet. 55.5g of Varget shoots 5/8" out of a factory Browning. I absolutely recommend these bullets for deer.

Attachments

• IMG_20201127_125722888_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201127_125722888_HDR.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 139
I've
Hello all I've been throughing around the idea of loading up some 110 to 130 grains bullets for white tail for my 308 win for next season one reason behind this is that's about all I can find in 30 cal and they would be all copper or something like a sst or fip game king.just wondering if it would be worth a try and If anyone has used these grain weights on whitetail and how did they do thanks
I have used Sierra 110 grain varminter hollow points in .308,3006,300wm and 300 wby mag. The 2 mags just destroy every bit of flesh within 10-12" of entrance never exit. 308 they're good in. I really liked the Speer 130 grain hp in the 308 just a great combo. I also used 110 grain Speer soft point got a 12 point on the wall with them. Complete pass thru. Also used the 130 Speer in 300 wsm but much better suited to 308 speeds, the large hollow points just explode and make a mess over 3000 FPS.

Hello all I've been throughing around the idea of loading up some 110 to 130 grains bullets for white tail for my 308 win for next season one reason behind this is that's about all I can find in 30 cal and they would be all copper or something like a sst or fip game king.just wondering if it would be worth a try and If anyone has used these grain weights on whitetail and how did they do thanks

I've

I have used Sierra 110 grain varminter hollow points in .308,3006,300wm and 300 wby mag. The 2 mags just destroy every bit of flesh within 10-12" of entrance never exit. 308 they're good in. I really liked the Speer 130 grain hp in the 308 just a great combo. I also used 110 grain Speer soft point got a 12 point on the wall with them. Complete pass thru. Also used the 130 Speer in 300 wsm but much better suited to 308 speeds, the large hollow points just explode and make a mess over 3000 FPS.
I suppose there should be a happy medium between a slow moving projectile that pokes a hole in and pokes a hole out both in and out the diameter of the bullet, which let's a lot of energy go out the other side and damage a limb or make hole in the ground. As opposed to a very fast projectile that starts dissentigrating on impact and continues with meat and bone blowing ahead of the blowing bullet which almost always drops the deer where it stands. I have shot deer with many different combinations and have had best lethal results when all of energy is released all at once and no pass through. Have used different brands of 125 grn in 308 diameter at 4050 fps from 100 yards to 488 yards with the same result. Have used 180 grain in 308 at 3500 fps and with a pass through have had some run some distance. It seems the low ballistic coefficient of the 125 grn creates massive blood shock which one gun writer said "when the deer has massive blood shock, it usually drops where it is standing.

I get the impression Whitetail are not that big. I have used Nosler BT on Fallow and pigs.
I've tried some Copper bullets as they can be light for cal and very effective so they can aid in low recoil loads without losing performance.
It depends on where you hunt. A mature deer in the south is usually 80-100 pounds for a doe and 130-180 for an average buck.
I track all of the deer by weight, sex and age off of a 16,000 acre piece of property and this is our average.

The 125 NBT works on non-whitetail deer as well.
wJFuMh5.jpg

gLoc46q.jpg

EcLCZEE.jpg

BTW my daughter was 5' 9" for refrence when this picture was taken.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.