125 to 130 grain bullets for 308 win

Hello all I've been throughing around the idea of loading up some 110 to 130 grains bullets for white tail for my 308 win for next season one reason behind this is that's about all I can find in 30 cal and they would be all copper or something like a sst or fip game king.just wondering if it would be worth a try and If anyone has used these grain weights on whitetail and how did they do thanks
I've used the Nosler 125 grain Ballistic tip and the 130 grain Barnes tipped triple shock with good results. Used Varget and a light crimp because the bullets are so short in the neck. Both average 3000+ FPS.

Attachments

• E2D68095-94F5-4B61-A5BA-CE2E586C8A9C.jpeg
    E2D68095-94F5-4B61-A5BA-CE2E586C8A9C.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 189
I shot this Kansas whitetail with a 130 gr. TTSX out of my 300 WEA @ 300+ yards. I have also used this bullet in a 308 WIN with very good results. Push them fast, and they are among the best of the 308 dia. available for medium size big game.

Attachments

• IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 160
125 Nosler BT or Sierra Pro Hunter 46 grs IMR 4895 WW case, CCI BR2 is what I use but it shoots just about as good in Rem cases with different primers. Work up to this load for yourself. This runs right at 3000 fps and SMOKES deer. I prefer the 125 Nosler BT. I use this bullet in all my 30 cal stuff for deer. Just keep the impact velocity under 3000 fps and you will be ok. Best impact velocity is 2800 fps and under. Oh, felt recoil seems about half of what a 150 gr load is. My buddy and I came up with this load trying to find a lower recoil load for his girlfriend to use in a 308 win. Mission accomplished, she became a deer killing machine.
I totally agree with the 125 Nosler BT for Whitetail I push mine with 46.5 gr Varget

Hello all I've been throughing around the idea of loading up some 110 to 130 grains bullets for white tail for my 308 win for next season one reason behind this is that's about all I can find in 30 cal and they would be all copper or something like a sst or fip game king.just wondering if it would be worth a try and If anyone has used these grain weights on whitetail and how did they do thanks
I have found that the 165 and 168 grain bullet in 308 works the best for accuracy and long range. I reload though. The 165 grain B.T.S.P. #2034 with 42.0 grains of IMR 4064 gives me 2485 F.P.S. with a CCI #200 primer. If you don't reload and are buying factory rounds it is hard to find the best load for the 308.

I use a 125 Nosler BT OUT OF A 24" barrel and its nasty on white tails. 47gr of variety, w/ lapua brass, Winchester primers. Very accurate, did this load for my 2 daughters and they've killed a lot of deer with it!

I use a load of a 130 gr Barnes TTSX bullet mounted to brass left-over from my tactical class .308 PRS rifle (which I use Federal Match in) and 47-ish grains of Varget ignited by some Remington primers. I went with the lighter, faster copper bullet hoping to keep recoil as low as can be on my CZ 550 rifle which has a 18" barrel, avoid meat damage, and keep lead out of my food.

I would say recoil is "less" but not much if I compare to a 150 gr Federal Non-Typical softpoint or something. If I compare to a 180 grain round, okay... the recoil is less. The gun is light and the barrel is short so... anything counts.

I've never actually done load development for this considering I rarely deer hunt past 200 yards and the load is always sub-MOA at the 100 yard range... so... not going to mess with something that works fine.

With copper bullets, you don't need the same grain weight as the regular lead core softpoints to do the same job.

My luck finding a deer to shoot is low, but this year I took a "bigger-ish" doe on some private land I got access to. She took the bullet, jumped up, ran 50 yards, and nose dived - conveniently - into a bunch of mud. Job done.

Last edited:
A gunsmith years ago had a service where he would accurize any gun customers would bring him. He would glass bed, clean the bore and work up the best load for that rifle. He had "experimented" with many rifles and knew what was good and not so good. He shot in matches, before the PPC, and chose the 308 and the Sierra 168 grn match. For deer hunting his choice was the 308 with Sierra 125 grn. I would hunt with him on his big farm and witnessed many deer kills and will say out to 600 yards it is very effective better than many big cartridges in dropping the deer. I personally have chambered several 30 caliber chamberings and have shot many different 30 caliber bullets at deer, including 125 BT and Speer TNT thin jacket and shoot them at 4000 fps and does very good at that velocity. I feel that the 125 grn bullet in 30 cal. Is a very good choice from 2500 fps to 4000 fps. I have a 308 40X and 14" twist and is accurate with the 125 grn. Also a 30-378 25 lb gun with 14" twist and shoot 125 grn and up to 168 grn, but usually use 125 grn with great results.

125 NBT flat smokes deer and the 125 Accubond is a winner as well. My daughter has piled up close to 20 Whitetail and Mule deer with both these bullets in .300 Savage and .308 Win over the last seven years. Much like someone else posted, I was looking for a reduced recoil load for her when she was 11 and moving up from the .223 for deer.

I've just started using 130 grn barnes tsx, I'm using CFE 223 powder and S&B primers. With this powder it really fills the case so keeping to the COAL is important. Barnes recommend 2.810" which don't leave too much of the bullet in the neck of the case. Evenso they don't appear to be hitting the rifling.
My rifle has a 26" barrel so I expect to see velocities in excess of 3000 fps especially as I necksize only.
Just waiting till the range reopens after covid to see which of the 5 workup loads is the one to choose.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.