124gr or 154 gr SP in short 7.62x39?

dust

I know that the 7/62x39 is the antithesis of long range, but I wanted some opinions.

Will be shot through a 10-12" 1z;10" barreled pistol. The 154gr shows 1900 fps per this video.

I'm seeing 2200ish for the 124gr from a 16" barrel.

Not much difference. I am hoping to use one or the other for eradication/hunting. The 154gr. seems to be more accurate from most accounts, but most loads are in the 122-125gr range. My question is, assuming same/similar powder load, which will have the most downrange energy at say 100 yards?

Last edited by a moderator:
You've got to know bc for any definitive answer, but assuming the same nose profile the 154's would likely have better performance.

I've used and reloaded for the 7.62x39 a bit but it's been many years. I was using 124 grain factory and hand-loads and the rifle (sks) was worthless beyond 100 paces or so.

I've got a Norinco SKS right now, but looking to build an AR. The round doesn't seem to give up much in the shorter barrels, and I can't get used to the looks of the AK, and the lack of a stable platform for optics.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.