243AI or other in a short action

eddybo

I am having a rifle built by a local smith on a Stiller predator short action (2.70 port) with a 28" 7twist 6mm barrel in a mcmillan A5. I had planned on a 243AI since I am already loading for this cartridge. But, I have almost decided that since I already have a 243AI that I should look for something with a little more ummph. What is available to shoot the 115s w/o having to pull the bolt to unchamber an unfired round with this action? I was thinking 6AI, but I think most manuals list the combined overall length with 115s at around 3.060. I had planned on the rifle being a repeater, but single would be fine. Any suggestions?

I have a 6-284 on a short action. I haven't shot the 115-117 bullets yet. I have some ordered. With the 107's i dont have to pull the bolt to remove the loaded round.

d-a

I have been considering the 6x284....I love my 6.5. Based on the posts I have read concerning it, 6x284 is definately in the running. I am not really worried about barrel life but it is a small consideration. Is 6x284 any more of a barrel burner than than a 6AI or the 243AI?

I would have to think it is. It definatly is pushing more powder thru the throat than the 6mmai and the 243ai.

d-a

Eddybo, go with the 6x284. You will be able to push the 105's and 107's out of a 28" tube at 3400 to 3500 fps, and I am thinking the 115's and 117's will go at around 3300 to 3400 fps. The 6x284 is the quickest 6mm out there; it beats the 6MM AI. Go with the the 6x284.

Jake

Sounds like the 284 gets the nod. As much as I have been shooting of late I should probably go ahead and order another barrel. Since I am picking up a 6ppc tomorrow I think I should have the 6mms about covered. Already have most of the 7s no shortage of 30 cals...gonna have to start looking at 22s and maybe a 270 of some kind...maybe one of those AMs. Reloading is dangerous...it leads to accuracy...accuracy leads to spending a bunch of cash.

Eddybo, you will be happy with the 6x284. I was using a 1&12 twist barrel. My 6x284 was set up for shooting 70 to 90grn bullets. I was shooting the 87grn V-max at 3750fps and my best 3 shot group at 100 yards was .168. It was an awesome set up. If your going to shoot the 105's and 107's go with a 1&10 twist barrel, the 1&10 will still allow you to shoot the lighter bullets.

Jake

OOOPS...cant go with the 1 in 10...my barrel should be here in about two more weeks and it is either 1 in 7 or 7 1/2 cant remember which right now. I want to shoot the 115 and 117s and that is what the builder reccomended. I can shoot the lighter bullets in my 243 or ppc. If I went with the slower twist it would ruin my reason for having another 6mm built...gotta justify it to the wife somehow.

I think you will still be able to shoot the 87grn V-Max too. Let me know what kind of groups you get with the 87grn V-Max in the 1-7 twist barrel. I bet it still will shoot well.

Wildcat

Eddy

dont worry about the twist. You have what you need. I was able to push the 105 @ 3500 in a 26 in kreiger. The bolt was a tad hard to lift. I have never shot mine at 100 yards however i have shot several groups less than an inch at 500 and less than 2.5 inches at 750 when i do my part.

d-a

Eddybo ,

Got 3265 with a 115 DTAC over 49 grs of rl 25 yesterday . Temp was 87 degrees

This was in a 243 AI , Schneider bbl at 30 inches and 7.5 twist , Surgeon action no turn neck , lapua brass Fed 210gm primers ( there soft you know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

No over pressure signs . Granted there were impending max pressure signs....i.e. extractor groove dimension increased by one thou . Forward of the extractor groove dimension increased by 1.5 thou . No heavy or sticky bolt lift , no primer pocket enlargement , no excessive flattening of the primer ( that is to say, there was still a naked eye visibly discernible rounded edge to the primer ) And no primer firing pin cratering .

Relatively easy to fireform and load and shoot as you know . Anyways , that was my 2tenths worth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jim Brown

Jimm,
Yours is faster than mine. I suspect having 4 inches less barrel is the reason. I am going to try the 6-284 this time, but am going to save the reamer for the 243AI because I sold mine along with the dies and brass yesterday.
I didnt realize you could make money on guns, but let someone who has never fired a really accurate rifle shoot one and they are hooked. He made me an offer I couldnt refuse. Guess I better get ready to wait on another barrel.
Still no word on an oryx hunt but I will let you know when I hear.

[ QUOTE ]
Got 3265 with a 115 DTAC over 49 grs of rl 25 yesterday .

[/ QUOTE ]

So what do you do, soak your powder in nitroglycerin? That is just blazing speed.

BB,

This load is a case killer in short order , 3 loads max . Maybe 4 if you glue the primers in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif But if it will shoot accurately I am going to use it . I have not gone to the next step in load development yet so I don't know . Just finished loading the es and sd test samples .

If you knew how fast those dtacs are coming out of that 240 wby of yours you wouldn't think mine was so fast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You shoot them over a chrony yet ?

Jim B.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.