1176 yard bull

There's a canyon I hunt in every fall, but with the brush the options are sitting in the timber patches or long range across the canyon. One shot from my .300 WSM did the job on this bull. Rifle was built specifically for hunting this canyon by West Elk Precision in Grand Junction Colorado. Defiance Deviant Hunter XM action, Trigger Tech, Bartlien 3b barrel, Manners EH1 stock, Nightforce atacr 5-25x56 scope. Load is Berger 215 grain Hybrid over 65 grains RL26 amd Federal 215 primers. 2817 FPS. Last two 3-shot groups fired before the hunt to confirm ballistic inputs measured just under .5 MOA at 1317 yards. Kestrel 5700 AB says 1675 FPS and 1340 remaining energy. Shot was quartering and bullet entered behind the ribs traveling length-wise, going up through a rib and coming to rest in the forward end of a backstrap. Weight is 152.9 grains. The bullets are very accurate but I'm going to look for a similarly accurate load with a bullet rated for a lower impact velocity. Thinking 210 grain Nosler ABLR or 210 gr Berger HVLD
View attachment 313414View attachment 313413View attachment 313415
Nice shot and a beautiful bull! I've been using the Berger VLD Hunters 185gr for quite a few years in my 300 WBY mag. Last year I bought a Browning Hells Canyon long range in 30 Nosler. I've been using the VLDH 210gr and they've been awesome! I've considered changing to the 205gr elite hunters just for the higher BC but haven't made the switch yet. I'm not sure if it will make that much of a difference.

Just saying...If that bullet did its job, I don't think I'd be changing things. I personally don't know of a bullet that is better suited for low velocity expansion/performance. Possibly a HVLD. Great shot and bull, Congrats.

Having said all this, Does anyone have a resource that supplies the retained velocity required for expansion??

If you click on the Home Page CALCULATOR ACADEMY it has a calculator for about anything you can think of & other you wouldn't ever think of.

Hard to argue with success. With me being a mechanic at heart… if it's not broken, don't fix it.
It's really awesome to hear (and see) from guys that are out there walking the walk. Seeing the results inspires me to improve my own shooting skills…. Although I would be happy to succeed at half that distance.
Nice bull!!!

Excellent shot and glad you had that oppurtunity! Obviously all of that practice has paid off! I have a 7mm Sherman Max that is set up with the 195 gr berger to do exactly what you have set your 300 WSM up for...long range shots. I can juuuuuusst get to 1200 yards and retain that minimum 1800 fps velocity required to open that bullet up reliably.

He wants to change to a different bullet because he knows what he is doing. If you look at the bullet, that is not what it was designed to do. Sure it killed the elk but if you are going to shoot longrange at animals like that, you want everything to be in your favor such as wind, bullet expansion etc. The only way that he is going to get the expansion that he wants out of that 215 gr Berger at that distance is to go to a larger capacity cartridge which will get him more velocity. Other than that, he can go to a different bullet that will open easier at the velocities that he is getting. 1675 fps is well below the 1800 fps minimum velocity that is recommended and he knows that and has seen the results. Good on him for trying to remedy it.

Last edited:
There's a canyon I hunt in every fall, but with the brush the options are sitting in the timber patches or long range across the canyon. One shot from my .300 WSM did the job on this bull. Rifle was built specifically for hunting this canyon by West Elk Precision in Grand Junction Colorado. Defiance Deviant Hunter XM action, Trigger Tech, Bartlien 3b barrel, Manners EH1 stock, Nightforce atacr 5-25x56 scope. Load is Berger 215 grain Hybrid over 65 grains RL26 amd Federal 215 primers. 2817 FPS. Last two 3-shot groups fired before the hunt to confirm ballistic inputs measured just under .5 MOA at 1317 yards. Kestrel 5700 AB says 1675 FPS and 1340 remaining energy. Shot was quartering and bullet entered behind the ribs traveling length-wise, going up through a rib and coming to rest in the forward end of a backstrap. Weight is 152.9 grains. The bullets are very accurate but I'm going to look for a similarly accurate load with a bullet rated for a lower impact velocity. Thinking 210 grain Nosler ABLR or 210 gr Berger HVLD
View attachment 313414View attachment 313413View attachment 313415
👏🏻….👏🏻….👏🏻….👏🏻…… 👍👍😎😎
Awesome shooting…..Many Congrats !!