$100K 1/2 MOA rifle?

"The truth is it's all just for fun, and true half minute rifles are a whole lot harder to come by then most people think."

More good rifles with proper loads are .5 moa capable than most shooters are, and therein lies the bigger issue.

Oh for sure. Especially on the bigger cartridges where recoil management is crucial.

Even with the changes, the answer is still yes. I'll start with one of my 308Win in a 26" barrel weighing in at 11 1/2 # with scope. It is very consistent with 155 and 168 AMAX in the .3-.4" five shot groups. Many years ago, I had an old Rem 700 in 308 Varmint that shot 168gr Sierras into similar .3" groups, and I still have an old FN 270W that loves a load of 4831 and 130gr Speers and shoots well under .5 moa.

My 260AI comes in at about 11#, and it has no problem staying under .5 moa

I have a factory Remington Sendero in 300 RUM that I lapped barrel and lugs, polished the trigger and built a 180gr AB load with Retumbo that will shoot sub .5 moa.

Over my decades, I have owned and seen far too many rifles and loads that would shoot under .5 moa, and several of those began life as a factory rifle that only had a few smith tweaks and good load development.
I'd imagine coming from a BR background that's about impossible for you to settle on any load/rifle that shoots much bigger than .5" hahaha

I enjoy trying to get those crazy one hole groups but it honestly doesn't matter one bit. A true one minute gun and a true half minute gun you can't tell a difference at 900 yards with a little wind. Your hit % doesn't really change. Took me a long time to figure that one out lol.

I enjoy trying to get those crazy one hole groups but it honestly doesn't matter one bit. A true one minute gun and a true half minute gun you can't tell a difference at 900 yards with a little wind. Your hit % doesn't really change. Took me a long time to figure that one out lol.
100% correct

I can understand 5 and even 10 shot or more groups for prairie dog rifles. But anything more than 3 shots for a big game hunting group is not only unnecessary, but shots 4 and 5 give you misleading data that doesn't help you with what you need to know for the all important 1st cold barrel shot.

For target competitors, the more shots/group the better.

Several of my rifles will produce 3-shot groups (all I ever shoot) on a low wind day, under .5 MOA, sometimes better; but only when I apply the requisite marksmanship.

Would the same rifles do it with 5 or 10 shots all in one sitting? Don't know, but I also don't care much since I don't do that kind of high volume shooting when hunting.

I can understand 5 and even 10 shot or more groups for prairie dog rifles. But anything more than 3 shots for a big game hunting group is not only unnecessary, but shots 4 and 5 give you misleading data that doesn't help you with what you need to know for the all important 1st cold barrel shot.

For target competitors, the more shots/group the better.

Several of my rifles will produce 3-shot groups (all I ever shoot) on a low wind day, under .5 MOA, sometimes better; but only when I apply the requisite marksmanship.

Would the same rifles do it with 5 or 10 shots all in one sitting? Don't know, but I also don't care much since I don't do that kind of high volume shooting when hunting.
You can just let rifle cool. One three shot group is also misleading data on what capabilities of the rifle really are. Pretty easy for the same exact gun and load to shoot a .3 group in one three shot series and a .7 group in another three shot series. Done it plenty of times. And in my mind, that a .7" gun, not a .3" gun.

No sir, not even with a full custom and finely tuned hand loads.

True story here.
I picked up a new 7 saum by APR which was shipped to my local gun store.

The guy asked if they were any good and I replied they'll hold .5 when I do my part. One of the counter clerks said if you want a real shooter you should buy one of ours. They sell cuatom actions with prefit proof barrels in mostly mpa chasis stocks.

His orragance got me just a little and I happened to have some cash on me. I layed $500 on the counter and said you pick your best sporter weight gun and I'll get my 30 APR nosler. ONE SHOT no warm up at 600 at the local range. The entire store went quiet and none of them wanted any action.

Btw- I've owned several APRs that will do .3 or so at 600 yards so confidence was high. Plus I had the 30 dialed in tight.

Last edited:
People have always struggled with the whole group thing, for a serious hunt rifle and for serious hunting I like a rig that I can hit the turf and put 3 rounds on a pie plate at (you name the range) in under 10 seconds!

Back when I was guiding a lot of my clients could shoot little bugger groups off a bench woth plenty of time on their side, but they were surely challenged to hit the turf and get it done right freaking now. Especially as the wind, angle, mirage came into play.

For a pure plain killing machine I'll take the hitter vs the group shooter...just another way to look at it

I'd imagine coming from a BR background that's about impossible for you to settle on any load/rifle that shoots much bigger than .5" hahaha
Not only that, but also being an adamant small varmint shooter at LR, very precise rifle/loads and shooting technique is paramount in hitting LR P-dogs and similar. As someone who spent many, many years in varied comp shooting, NM, prone, F-class, Palma, BR, IHMSA, etc, every shot counted and close lost matches. At least to me, the same applies to larger game at similar ranges. But, each to their own and YMMV

You can just let rifle cool. One three shot group is also misleading data on what capabilities of the rifle really are. Pretty easy for the same exact gun and load to shoot a .3 group in one three shot series and a .7 group in another three shot series. Done it plenty of times. And in my mind, that a .7" gun, not a .3" gun.

Can't tell you how many times I drove home from shooting with a big grin on my face while doing load development with a 3 shot group in the .3's only to load up 20 to verify and finding out that load was complete trash. 3 shot groups are liars! I'll take a 10 shot under 1" over a 3 shot in the .3's

People have always struggled with the whole group thing, for a serious hunt rifle and for serious hunting I like a rig that I can hit the turf and put 3 rounds on a pie plate at (you name the range) in under 10 seconds!

Back when I was guiding a lot of my clients could shoot little bugger groups off a bench woth plenty of time on their side, but they were surely challenged to hit the turf and get it done right freaking now. Especially as the wind, angle, mirage came into play.

For a pure plain killing machine I'll take the hitter vs the group shooter...just another way to look at it
Yes Sir, in all reality the first shot is the one that matters

Last edited: