$100K 1/2 MOA rifle?

In a 28 Nosler, hunting weight of about 9.5lbs, I can occasionally get 3 inside 1/2 - but two more would probably average closer to a little over an inch.
My 28 nosler with 169 hammers was probably my best shooting rifle. I shot 10 shots into a .6 group with that combo once doing a ladder test…. Before I knew ladder tests were trash hahaha

There's a hunter BR class?! I didn't know that at all
A Hunter Class rifle is described in the NBRSA rule book but the basics are as follows: A Hunter rifle stock must not be over 2 ¼ inches wide and be convex on all bottom surfaces of the stock. Bolt action receivers must be no wider than 1.400 inches and no longer than 10.25 inches. Custom re-barreling is permitted. The barrel shall have a diameter of not more than 1.250 for 4 inches in front of the bolt face and would taper to a diameter of .750 diameter at 26 inches from the bolt face. Original factory issue barrels need not meet these specifications. Glue-ins are not allowed. Bore diameter can be up to .338 and case capacity is not limited. Magazines shall not be required, but receivers must be cut out for a magazine. Scopes must be 6X or less. Variables are allowed but must be set at 6X and taped. Rifle and scope not to exceed 10 pounds in weight. Falling Block/Rolling Block single shot rifles will be allowed in Hunter Class competition.

Yeah I threw in "hunting" rifles to eliminate the 20 pound, small cartridge rifles and stuff haha. I was thinking 12lb max, elk killer type cartridges.
Haha even said hunting rifle in caps and I still didn't see it🙄 mine is definitely to heavy to pack around but it has killed a lot of prairie dogs……. Kind of counts???

Haha even said hunting rifle in caps and I still didn't see it🙄 mine is definitely to heavy to pack around but it has killed a lot of prairie dogs……. Kind of counts???
hahaha, no no, I just edited the post the post to capitalize hunting and then threw in some stipulations also lol. You're fine haha.

When I thinking "hunting" my mind immediately goes to a gun capable of killing an elk. I should have been more specific to begin with.

Does anyone have a HUNTING rifle that they'd honestly bet $100K that they can lay down, on demand, and shoot a sub 1/2 MOA, 5 shot group with? I was thinking about it, and I really don't think I do. Even with a couple nice rifles that have produced much smaller than 1/2 MOA groups on occasion... I wouldn't bet $100k on the next 5 shotter being under .5".... I'd like a rifle like that at some point though haha.

Let's say:
-12lbs Max weight
-Minimum cartridge of 6.5 PRC
-Think 600 yard+ elk capable rifle.

If you do, I'd love to see it and get the details on the build, load, and some groups that the rifle/rifles puts down!
Even with the changes, the answer is still yes. I'll start with one of my 308Win in a 26" barrel weighing in at 11 1/2 # with scope. It is very consistent with 155 and 168 AMAX in the .3-.4" five shot groups. Many years ago, I had an old Rem 700 in 308 Varmint that shot 168gr Sierras into similar .3" groups, and I still have an old FN 270W that loves a load of 4831 and 130gr Speers and shoots well under .5 moa.

My 260AI comes in at about 11#, and it has no problem staying under .5 moa

I have a factory Remington Sendero in 300 RUM that I lapped barrel and lugs, polished the trigger and built a 180gr AB load with Retumbo that will shoot sub .5 moa.

Over my decades, I have owned and seen far too many rifles and loads that would shoot under .5 moa, and several of those began life as a factory rifle that only had a few smith tweaks and good load development.

I'm extremely Happy with my, 7 Pound, 10 Ounce, .270 WSM T-3 Tikka that, RELIABLY Prints, 5 Shots into, 1.5 inches at, 200 Yards and Sub 6 inch groups, Prone at, 700 Yds.
Yup, she's an "Elk Slayer" with, 140 Berger's, zipping out at, 3,185 FPS and I can carry it, way back,.. into the Mountains.
I do have, a 10 Pound, 6 XC that would Win the Bet ( gets 5, 107 SMK's into, the .2's and .3's ) But, it's not, an Elk Rifle.

Sub half moa on demand isn't easy for a five shot group. I had a rifle (6.5 creed, fairly lightweight rifle, around 9 pounds fully dressed) that I would have taken that bet with. Sold it to a buddy and I can still get behind that thing and shoot some groups in the .3's and .4's

The 300 PRC I have in the classifieds right now I would call an honest half minute gun, but 300 PRC is a whole lot harder to drive then a Creed so when I broke a .5 group with it I usually felt it was on me. This is a 5 shot group out of it, the high flier was on me C6781CD5-44A4-4F1A-AF12-529E9B135A7E.png

These are 10 shot groups out of a 300 wm I sold and a 300 wsm I still have.I know the 300 wm looks like 5 but I can promise it was 10. Both very consistent guns but I wouldn't take that bet with either. 607AD728-BE58-4ADE-8B83-075FC24FFD64.pngDD162857-4191-48EF-B08F-57B4EE7CA300.png

This a a 6.5 prc my wife had, this was a typical 5 shot out of it but sometime it would shoot more in the .6's or 7's so I also wouldn't take that bet with it. F9FE8C8F-22C0-4576-B2F4-298A605E58FF.png

The truth is it's all just for fun, and true half minute rifles are a whole lot harder to come by then most people think. if you can put 10 in 1 moa with good ES and call wind good you can kill anything you point a rifle at.

Sub half moa on demand isn't easy for a five shot group. I had a rifle (6.5 creed, fairly lightweight rifle, around 9 pounds fully dressed) that I would have taken that bet with. Sold it to a buddy and I can still get behind that thing and shoot some groups in the .3's and .4's

The 300 PRC I have in the classifieds right now I would call an honest half minute gun, but 300 PRC is a whole lot harder to drive then a Creed so when I broke a .5 group with it I usually felt it was on me. This is a 5 shot group out of it, the high flier was on meView attachment 454548

These are 10 shot groups out of a 300 wm I sold and a 300 wsm I still have.I know the 300 wm looks like 5 but I can promise it was 10. Both very consistent guns but I wouldn't take that bet with either. View attachment 454550View attachment 454551

This a a 6.5 prc my wife had, this was a typical 5 shot out of it but sometime it would shoot more in the .6's or 7's so I also wouldn't take that bet with it. View attachment 454552

The truth is it's all just for fun, and true half minute rifles are a whole lot harder to come by then most people think. if you can put 10 in 1 moa with good ES and call wind good you can kill anything you point a rifle at.
Great groups right there!! And the last part of your post is spot on for sure! Putting 10 shots into a .6-.8 groups is actually a **** nice group

ThinkN, if the challenge was for $100 bet and Ya covered all takers, by the end of the day, you'd have a pocket full of $100's. Probably have to pay off a couple.
I think you're 100% right. Because I would definitely wager $100, or maybe even $1000 on a couple my rifle/loads going into .5"

But to have one that will do it every single time and putting down $100k to prove it, makes you think a little more haha.

"The truth is it's all just for fun, and true half minute rifles are a whole lot harder to come by then most people think."

More good rifles with proper loads are .5 moa capable than most shooters are, and therein lies the bigger issue.

When I was a gun club VP, we trained a lot of shooters, and one group was teens in small bore, prone 22 shooting. After much training, you could hand different shooters the same excellent Anschutz target rifle and see so many different groupings.

Last edited: