$100K 1/2 MOA rifle?

I think "hunting" rifle is somewhat subjective, at least for unreasonable people. That's me, I am unreasonable people. My go to hunting rifle is a 18 pound 338 Lapua Ackley improved. For this rifle, I am confident in producing half minute groups for five rounds. This being said, I'm not a betting man, especially for that much money. I would effectively turn a half minute rifle into a two minute rifle with that kind of anxiety 😂

I have some very accurate custom and factory rifles but I would never bet the farm on any of them. The weak link between everyday .5 moa 5 shot groups is me. The most consistent shooter in my stable is a custom trued Rem 700 in 6.5 Creedmoor, It will put 4 shots in one hole, then I usually get excited and slightly pull the last shot. The best I have done with that rifle is a 6 inch 3 shot group center plate at 1505 yards. 1000 yards and under on a calm day is pretty boring with that rifle! I would take the low budget $100 bet though.... Jason

Every guy on here that has claimed "0.5 moa all day if I do my part" better chime in soon!! Haha. I am not much of a betting guy. My 2 primary hunting rifles are 0.75" for 10 shot groups. No way I am taking the risk that 5 fall in to 0.5!! Maybe my 24 lb 6 dasher....
That's the real rub though. I can get 5 shot groups in the .100s and .200s with benchrest rifles.... but that doesn't mean they're repeatable, that the load doesn't require adjusting constantly, and that I don't do things that are very unadvisable loading for a repeater with those rifles.

I could sit there with all the tools and get boomer to shoot a .250" group. But if you overlaid all the shots it took to get there we'd be talking more like 3" groups if not worse. I'd rather take the 1" group and run it out and play in the wind than chase best group ag. If group ag is the game 30 BR is the player, not 300 RUM 🤣

Can't tell you how many times I drove home from shooting with a big grin on my face while doing load development with a 3 shot group in the .3's only to load up 20 to verify and finding out that load was complete trash. 3 shot groups are liars! I'll take a 10 shot under 1" over a 3 shot in the .3's
I think MANY of us have done that!! More than once too hahaha.

Not me anymore though. That MF better stack a few more shots into the group before I consider it "The" load hahaha

Very interesting to read through the replies. Many state they are not gambling men. I occasionally gamble, but it would be a very dumb bet for me. I've shot .5 MOA 5 shot groups, but not consistently. Too many variables and near zero tolerance for human or equipment inconsistency would make this a no go. Anyone that has reviewed Hornady's pod cast on accuracy of rifles would run away from a wager like this.

This is getting interesting…

Attachments

• CF650730-61AB-4CCE-9BF0-947D650793BD.gif
    CF650730-61AB-4CCE-9BF0-947D650793BD.gif
    91.9 KB · Views: 24
I've read with interest, bordering on amazement, at the number of number of sub 1/2 moa shooters using rifles that meet the OP's criteria that I have "forum witnessed" here in my 9+ years as a member. Yet suddenly, a group of 5 shots, with a medium -heavy weight rifle, in a cartridge deemed "elk worthy"…..appears to be a daunting task, riff with reasons that this is not applicable to the real world! 🙀🫢

Suddenly…..I am questioning the validity of words that I read in internet shooting forums! Signed "Disillusioned" 😢

I've read with interest, bordering on amazement, at the number of number of sub 1/2 moa shooters using rifles that meet the OP's criteria that I have "forum witnessed" here in my 9+ years as a member. Yet suddenly, a group of 5 shots, with a medium -heavy weight rifle, in a cartridge deemed "elk worthy"…..appears to be a daunting task, riff with reasons that this is not applicable to the real world! 🙀🫢

Suddenly…..I am questioning the validity of words that I read in internet shooting forums! Signed "Disillusioned" 😢
I think they are pretty rare in the hunting world.

The reason I thought of this thread was because I was loading 195 Berger's for a buddy's 8lb 28 Nosler and he seemed a little disappointed that it wouldn't consistently hold small groups. I told him it's about 1 MOA platform. I said it's either easy to carry, or easy to shoot. Pick better next time 🤣. But there is a lot of unreal expectations out there. Like fierce showing a factory .4" 3 shot group to go with some of their rifles. But when my dad got his fierce rifle, it wouldn't even chamber a piece of brass. Wonder how they got that group???? 😅😅😅😅. Or the 300 PRC gunwerks I'm shooting that kicks like a **** mule and can barely hold a 5 shot 1 MOA group. I'd love to see them lay down a 10 shot .7" group with it lol.

But I totally bought into all that crap when I first started shooting also.

I think they are pretty rare in the hunting world.

The reason I thought of this thread was because I was loading 195 Berger's for a buddy's 8lb 28 Nosler and he seemed a little disappointed that it wouldn't consistently hold small groups. I told him it's about 1 MOA platform. I said it's either easy to carry, or easy to shoot. Pick better next time 🤣. But there is a lot of unreal expectations out there. Like fierce showing a factory .4" 3 shot group to go with some of their rifles. But when my dad got his fierce rifle, it wouldn't even chamber a piece of brass. Wonder how they got that group???? 😅😅😅😅. Or the 300 PRC gunwerks I'm shooting that kicks like a **** mule and can barely hold a 5 shot 1 MOA group. I'd love to see them lay down a 10 shot .7" group with it lol.

But I totally bought into all that crap when I first started shooting also.

Oh how I hate it when someone introduces reality into the fantasies of so many! 🙀 😉 😂 memtb

Sometimes after shooting these crappy lightweight magnum platform rifles my buddies buy, I have to shoot my own stuff to even make sure I know how to shoot lol. I barely held a 5 shot 1 MOA group with both that OMR 28N and gunwerks 300 PRC at 100 yards. Then grabbed my 6.5 PRC and shot a .66 MOA 7 shot group at 600 yards to make sure it wasn't just me 🤣🤣. Almost 1/2 MOA at 600 yards and I still wouldn't take that $100k bet at 100 yards hahahaha

054F6B0C-6FA8-4F80-87B5-6E6DE8E14A79.jpeg