1000 Yard Gun - .260 vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Hudge

I'm new to long distance shooting, so I wanted to lean on the expertise of this forum's membership in evaluating two cartridges. I'd like to build a good gun for hunting deer or shooting targets out to 1000 yards. At the higher end, really only targets, since I'm not confident I could kill an animal at range. I think I've narrowed it down to a Savage model 12 LRP, but it comes in .260 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Lapua just announced they would be selling brass in .260, so I believe quality reloading costs would be better on that round as opposed to the 6.5 Creedmoor. I think the ballistics are almost identical, so I'm wondering if there's a reason not to do the .260 and, instead, go with the 6.5 Creedmoor?

Like I said, I'm new to this, and I was hoping some of the experienced shooters out there could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

I have had a 260 custom for a while and love it ! i built it for the 140g amax and it is superb to 1000 and beyond, a stout load of vitavori N560 really works for me .

the creedmor has slightly less oommph but i doubt you'd notice ?

in the end i don't think either would dissapoint you?

Russ

ps , i guarantee you will love the 6.5mm bullet!

Either one will "ring steel" way on out there, I've built rifles in both caibers just for that purpose. IMHO, neither one has the 'foot pounds' needed for deer size or larger game 'way on out there'.

brass is harder to get for a creedmoor, a few 1k matchs have been dominated by a 260 ai but id use a 35 degree shoulder instead of 40, unless your set on a factory rifle, savage barrels swaps are pretty easy.

The 6.5x47L/6.5CMs were never intended to be used for 1kyd competition. They are under powered for it, as even the 260 with a full 5gr more capacity is still underpowered for 1kyd.
My basis for this is that you cannot reach the ~2950 node with ~140gr highest BC bullets without high pressures, and overworking of brass, compared to higher cap cartridges like a 6.5x284, or 6.5WSSM, etc.
The perfect 26cal capacity in my view is the 260AI(which matches the 26WSSM).

Ultimately, both the touted mighty mouses and the 260 are variant 26-243 wildcats, and there is nothing 'new' or unpredictable about them.
What I like about the 260AI, or other improved forms of the 260, is that they remove much of the body taper, and increase shoulder angles to prolong brass life -with rational pressures. It also makes reloading way easier, as far less sizing is needed, and so less brass movement/trimming of it.

I don't see a reason to go with 600yd bullets(123-130gr) for longer shooting, just to reach a common accuracy node with a cartridge that's too small to do it otherwise.
So I say go atleast 260, improved or not.

Ditto Mikecr.... For me between the two would be the 260 rem, I would prefer the improved cartridge but for pure simplicity the standard 260 would be my choice. Fireforming of AI brass burns a barrel up a lot faster.

The 6.5 Creedmoor which is a great little cartridge was designed to match 260 specs while using heavier bullets and still being able to fit in a AR platform magazine (or Tubb 2000 type platform) for High Power competition. For that application it makes more sense than a 260 remington otherwise in a bolt action rifle there is no advantage.

I have been observing the shift now away from 6.5's to 7mm based cartridges for LR work. The trend has shifted and this may doom the creedmoor which is having problems gaining traction. There is a real resurgence of the 284 win cartridge and again with higher BC bullets and new powders some ole friends are seeing revivals.

My basis for this is that you cannot reach the ~2950 node with ~140gr highest BC bullets without high pressures, it.

I don't see a reason to go with 600yd bullets(123-130gr) for longer shooting, just to reach a common accuracy node

Mikecr
Could you please explain this a little more. This is something new to me and may make some difference in the 6.5-06 that I want to build.
Thanks,CliffM

The "2950" is the gold standard for 1000 yd performance with high BC 140 class bullets in the 6.5 X 284 cartridge that everyone has tried to approximate with a short action cartridge. For the most part, safely anyway most of these cartridges fall at least 100 fps short.

I have heard others claim to get there, and they may but it is at a huge cost and not safe or reasonable in my opinion.

I know you asked Mike but thought I would throw in my .02

With 27-30" barrels there is usually a lower node 2700-2900fps, and higher at 2900-3100fps. There is a node further above still, but it's tougher to utilize with gain. This I suppose is the basis for declarations like "does the same as a 6.5x284 with less powder".
But I don't ever believe 'more with less' notions.

There are recent cartridges specifically designed to provide more for LIMITED applications/RULES(niche). These are the mighty mouses 6.5x47L, and 6.5Creedmore. Some competitive shooters/wannabes are again claiming 'more with less' here, but by now they have obviously exceeded any basis.

Long range hunters are not really bound by equipment rules. We can use any cartridge capacity, and the many powders/bullets to get pretty much what we want. We don't have to work toward an edge over 6.5grendel in a set magazine length afforded by AR platforms. Instead we just use a gun and cartridge that makes better sense for the application.
Well, most of us..

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.