100 or 200 Yard Zero???

200 yard zero has always worked for me. I verify scope settings each 100 yard increments to 600 yards. This takes the guess work out of knowing my drop charts will give accurate information needed.

Last edited:
300 yards zero guy here starting this past season. 200 yards before that.

Got on a new deer lease and had one shooting position just over 300 yards from the feeder using my 264wm for that, so I set that gun up "point n shoot". My wife used it to make a 307yd shot on her buck, DRT, so it worked perfectly.

The wifes gun, 6.5-06, was only going to to be used from a box blind 100 yards from the feeder, so it got a 100 yards (her's is the exception to my 300yd rule for this season). She shot her cull buck, one Doe and her hog from the blind. All DRT, so it worked perfectly!

Then my 300wm was going to far west Texas for Aoudad (along with the 264wm as a back up gun) so it got a 300 yard zero. Took my Aoudad at 323 yards so again it worked out as planned.

For my big game hunting rifles, I do a 250 yard zero. Gives me a point and shoot to 300 yards with no more than a 2.7" elevation error. +2.2" @ 100 +2.7" @ 150, + 2.1" @ 200, 0 @ 250, -2.7" @ 300.

For my dedicated LR rifle that only comes out for the long shots, I zero @ 300.

The 300 yard zero would be very practical, however if you don't have a range to shoot the 300 yards to confirm the zero, I would not use that. You can print drop tables to figure where you might hit at 300 but there are so many variables that you need to shoot at 300 to confirm that zero. Most shooting ranges don't have the distance to shoot 300 yards, so the best trade off is to sight in with your group being about 2 inches high at 100, and check the ballistics chart see what your point of impact will be at 200 and beyond.

So, how do you feel about people who don't have 400, 600, 881, ,937, 1164, etc, yard ranges who hunt and shoot at those distances at game?

4xforfun, I was directing my reply only to the OP that was asking if he should zero at 100 or 200 yards. I should have used the "quote", but felt it would take up too much space to have his post redisplayed. It seems he doesn't have the experience shooting at 881, 937, or 1164 etc, yard ranges, so I tried to put it in perspective. For the type hunting he was doing when he shot the two deer (at least one at 400 yards), the distance he was sighted in at obviously worked. I was only implying that the further out he shoots, it is best to sight in for consideration for whatever the max distance he might encounter. My response was not directed at anyone in particular (other than the OP). After all, this is a Long Range Hunting Forum, and 300 yards is probably point-blank range for most, the OP would do well to sight in his rifle at whatever distance he feels comfortable.

I am sure this has been discussed many times before, I have searched and cannot find a good info thread.

In the past I have always ran a 200 yard zero and now I am thinking a 100 yard might be better.

While hunting last year I fell and bumped my gun. Needing to check zero it would have been easier to check things at 100 yards. I shot a couple rounds at 200 and was off about 1" and decided to call it good, still having doubts that maybe things were not perfect (hate not having 100% confidence). BTW, did get a Whitetail the next day at 400 yards and a Mule deer a few days after that.

So now I have switched to 100 yard zero, making sure I am shooting an almost perfect POI group and then getting all my validation data from there. My thought is that checking my zero in the field will be easier and more reliable. Not needing to worry about wind or air density.

Am I way off base, would love to hear everyone's thoughts?

Thanks, Jeff

View attachment 88233 View attachment 88234

Jeff, We (wife and I) use a three (3) hundred yard zero, and have for over 25 years. Four high at 100, 5 to 6 high at approx. 170, approx 8 to 9 low at four hundred. For big game, from muzzle to 400....."hold on hair"! memtb

4xforfun, I was directing my reply only to the OP that was asking if he should zero at 100 or 200 yards. I should have used the "quote", but felt it would take up too much space to have his post redisplayed. It seems he doesn't have the experience shooting at 881, 937, or 1164 etc, yard ranges, so I tried to put it in perspective. For the type hunting he was doing when he shot the two deer (at least one at 400 yards), the distance he was sighted in at obviously worked. I was only implying that the further out he shoots, it is best to sight in for consideration for whatever the max distance he might encounter. My response was not directed at anyone in particular (other than the OP). After all, this is a Long Range Hunting Forum, and 300 yards is probably point-blank range for most, the OP would do well to sight in his rifle at whatever distance he feels comfortable.

I agree, but my point...which isn't always readily apperent, is that if they can't trust the dope to have a correct 300 yard zero, then they have no buisnes shooting at long range. As you correctly stated...this is a long range hunting sight. and we should be able to trust our dope at ANY distance.

On the other hand , I always have advocated actual SHOOTING to confirm dope at ANY distance before you attempt taking game, and EVERYONE here should have done actual testing at various ranges to test their dope.

I have quite a few friends who shoot one test target a year at 100, 200, or whatever, and, because they are shooting some high dollar store bought "long range"gun and scope that they are "long range hunters". And trust me, Around here, if someone thinks of them self as a LR shooter, I am the first one they tell!! o_O And, every single one of them says that we should go out and do some shooting, which, as usuall, I'm all up to do. None of them ever call back.

I see this "what distance" topic come up from time to time, and I think it is a GOOD topic......with no correct answer, IMO.

Have a great day,
Tod

Last edited:
100 yards and dial up. Alot of my hunting I'll just adjust my scope to 200 and that way when if there's a quick shot at 200-250 I can be more confident. Plus this way I can dial back down to my 100 yard zero to confirm on paper. I'm very picky about my zero and want to be putting 5 shots into the center of the 1" target dot. Also, this way I'm not having to measure how far high I am at 100 for a perfect zero. Years ago before I dialed I would zero at 200 but my furthest shot was 327 yards on a mule deer. All in a persons preference.

Jeff, I prefer 100 yard zero where environmental's such as wind have less effect on getting a solid group.

If have good long range data and a quality scope that tracks, dial your scope to 200 and set zero stop. If want a 300 yard zero, dial scope up and set zero stop.

With good 100 yard zero, good data and premium scope, you can have your zero anywhere you want it.

I agree, but my point...which isn't always readily apperent, is that if they can't trust the dope to have a correct 300 yard zero, then they have no buisnes shooting at long range. As you correctly stated...this is a long range hunting sight. and we should be able to trust our dope at ANY distance.

On the other hand , I always have advocated actual SHOOTING to confirm dope at ANY distance before you attempt taking game, and EVERYONE here should have done actual testing at various ranges to test their dope.

I have quite a few friends who shoot one test target a year at 100, 200, or whatever, and, because they are shooting some high dollar store bought "long range"gun and scope that they are "long range hunters". And trust me, Around here, if someone thinks of them self as a LR shooter, I am the first one they tell!! o_O And, every single one of them says that we should go out and do some shooting, which, as usuall, I'm all up to do. None of them ever call back.

I see this "what distance" topic come up from time to time, and I think it is a GOOD topic......with no correct answer, IMO.

Have a great day,
Tod
Not sure how we got to this but I think my point/question got lost. I was in the middle of a hunt with around 30 rounds of ammo. We were driving between hunting areas and I needed to check my zero, it would have been much easier to shoot 100 yards. I could not shoot 3-5 rounds, make adjustments and continue (I was shooting at a pop can). I had the sun in my eyes and could not see impacts on the Coke can that I found on the road. At 200 yards in poor conditions I was having troubles. Finding out that the impact was just a little high I had to say "good to go".
I have not near the experience as some but probably shot 400 rounds in the last 6 months (I take this very serious and practice a lot). Much of that shooting was at 600 and a 1000.
I just wanted opinions on a 100 yard zero????

Thanks for all the good info!
Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff, I prefer 100 yard zero where environmental's such as wind have less effect on getting a solid group.

If have good long range data and a quality scope that tracks, dial your scope to 200 and set zero stop. If want a 300 yard zero, dial scope up and set zero stop.

With good 100 yard zero, good data and premium scope, you can have your zero anywhere you want it.
Thank You for the thoughts. I have already zeroed at 100 and used my data to dial and shoot at 500. I need to check a few more distances but 500 was dead on!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.