1 gun for all???

oneluckypops

I will start this thread by pointing out that I am a newbie to this forum, I have made an introduction post in the new members section. But to help with any answares that I can get from you fine people i will try to explain my circumstances.

I do not own any rifles at this time, My father is a gunsmith and has several custom built rifles that I have always been able to use. Well I think it is past time for me to obtain my own rifle. He has built rifles for all of my brothers, I just have not been able to come up with 1 that I really wanted. He is not getting any younger and I fear that If I dont get off the "pot" I will be left in the cold of having a trully memorable rifle built by him.

There rifles are all built from 98 Mauser actions, but that is the only thing in common they have, I personally am trying to think off the wall. So I havent decided what to do for an action yet. (defintly open to suggestions).

What I would like to be able to acheive is 1 rifle, that will work for Hunting Whitetails in the midwest, aswell as Elk out west. Of course I would also like it to be accurate at long ranges (1k). Although I do understand that I am NOT ready for taking those long yardage shots I want the capabilities. I also understand that it will take alot of trigger time to acheive the ability to do so.

The midwest hunting I do, has realistic shots from 50-500 yards in the hills, and as far as 1800 yards in the Missouri river bottoms. Now will I ever be able to make those shots?? If I work hard at it maybe 1 day I can. Never the less I do NOT consider it a waste of time or money to try and fail, after all I will still have a Rifle built for me from my father that can and will be cherrished for my lifetime.

Sorry for the rambling, now for the questions lol.

1.) Is it possable for me to have 1 rifle that will work for Hunting Whitetails, and Elk, from 50 yards to 1000 yards?

2.) If it is Possable, What cailbers should I consider with out being overkill for whitetail?

There are alot of other questions that I have, but I will stop there to try learn as much as I can instead of just getting flooded.

Thanks
OLP

I have a question do you want to reload for this rifle or do you want to buy factory bullets for this rifle?

Nice problem you have :D

If I were you, I'd make sure of a few things.

1) Caliber would NOT be a barrel burner, in fact I'd pick a caliber that would allow a LOT of shooting without needing to replace the barrel. Maybe a 338 of some sort.

2) I'd make sure it was something I'd appreciate holding, shooting and looking at. I'm partial to Remington actions personally, but you're the one that needs to love it.

3) I wouldn't waste ANY time in getting the gun built. You don't want to miss this opportunity.

Hope that helps.

BTW: I'd probably have a 338-300wsm built, it will reach out far enough, handle all the animals you listed, tons of options for reloading and should last forever.

AJ

I have a question do you want to reload for this rifle or do you want to buy factory bullets for this rifle?

That is a good question.

I do plan on reloading, I am not sure what all dies i currently have access to other then 7mm, But that is NOT a deciding factor I can get what ever I will need for what ever caliber I choose.

Nice problem you have :D

If I were you, I'd make sure of a few things.

1) Caliber would NOT be a barrel burner, in fact I'd pick a caliber that would allow a LOT of shooting without needing to replace the barrel. Maybe a 338 of some sort. What calibers would you consider to be a "barrel burner"? Also would a 338 be "overkill for whitetail at close ranges?

2) I'd make sure it was something I'd appreciate holding, shooting and looking at. I'm partial to Remington actions personally, but you're the one that needs to love it. I have no problems with a Remington action, actually I am thinking of either: Remington, savage, tikka, or maybe go ahead and use a mauser. I also would agree that the gun needs to be something I want to shoot. I have the look of the gun done in my head

3) I wouldn't waste ANY time in getting the gun built. You don't want to miss this opportunity. Yes sir you are correct again, I am hoping to have it built in plenty of time for deer season next year

Hope that helps.

BTW: I'd probably have a 338-300wsm built, it will reach out far enough, handle all the animals you listed, tons of options for reloading and should last forever. I will keep that in mind, I know I still have alot of research ahead of me before any final decisions get made.

AJ

Thanks for your response, I respnded to you in blue. I look forward to your response
OLP

I think there are several calibers that would meet your requirement. Just to name a few, 7mmRem mag, 270WSM, 300 Win Mag, 300WSM, 6.5x284. Used for hunting,I wouldn't get hung up on the cartridge being a barrel burner. In most cases a cartridge that will take out an elk effectively at 1000 yards will likely eat up a barrel faster than something in the 308/30-06 class. You should get 1000+ shots out of any of these if you don't cook the barrel.

As far as barrel burners. Anything that is really overbore (7mm RUM, 300RUM, 243WSSM, 30-378WSB) I'd consider as a barrel-burner. My all time favorite caliber 7mm Rem Mag, I'd probably consider a barrel burner as well.

AJ

I would choose something in 30 cal. The reason being is bullet choices. You can shoot a 100 grain bullet for varmints all the way up to 240 grain heavys. That being said you need to pick a case that would be able to push the big bullets. I would recommend a 300 win mag or 300 weatherby. If your in a pinch and do not have time to reload you can always buy them off the shelf. I would make sure you get a 1-10 twist barrel in order to stablise all bullets.

Just as I suspected, there are several calibers that can fit the bill. Originally I was thinking about going with the 270 wsm, all though my brother has tried talking me out of doing that caliber from day 1. So I have been since thinking about the 7mm rem. mag.

Should the bullet type hender any decisions on the caliber? I would really like to use either a berger or a barnes bullet.

ok time to start researching the calibers that have been spoken of.

Thanks again all

OLP

I would choose something in 30 cal. The reason being is bullet choices. You can shoot a 100 grain bullet for varmints all the way up to 240 grain heavys. That being said you need to pick a case that would be able to push the big bullets. I would recommend a 300 win mag or 300 weatherby. If your in a pinch and do not have time to reload you can always buy them off the shelf. I would make sure you get a 1-10 twist barrel in order to stablise all bullets.

Excellent point you make. I would defintly like the idea of being able to use the gun for Coyotes aswell, Lord knows we have a ton of them around here.

When you include elk hunting & 1,000 yards to the equation many of the lesser cartridges just don't seem to fit the bill to me. I'd suggest a 300 Wby as a reasonable compromise between your minimum and maximum anticipated need. It is also easy to get factory ammo in 300 Wby if that's important.

My short list would be 270 WSM loaded with 165 Matrix, 300 Win Mag with 210+gr Berger, 300 Norma Mag with 230 Berger OTM and the 338 Norma mag with a 300gr Berger OTM.

I really like the 338's like the Norma or RUM due to the payload you can deliver and they are just sweet to shoot. I shoot the 270 WSM and it take care of a bull elk this year at 865yrds with ease, actually rocked him hard and at my elevation I wouldn't even hesitate to drop one at a 1000yrds. Deer don't argue with it at all!!!!

In your situation you have to plan for elk and realize you are going to be overkill for whitetail. Not sure how far you plan on shooting elk. Also, is this going to be a carry gun or a heavy LR rig? Both are good questions to have answered IMO before you start narrowing down cartridges.

Elk can be taken with almost any caliber but it sure is a safer bet to be .30 or higher. This is especially true when you start to increase the distance a bit.

If it were me and I was looking at a 1/2 mile gun (90% of hunters can't shoot well enough at this distance and 95% of opportunities are going to be at or under this range) I would build a 338-06AI. This is an excellent cartridge and approaches 338 Win velocities with quite a bit less recoil. They are very easy to load for and will shoot most anything well and don't need a brake. They have great barrel life too. The 210-225 grain loads are where it is at. The swift 210 grain sirocco has an excellent BC and great terminal performance. You could load down for your whitetails, there are some good 185 grain bullets, or just put them down quick with the same load you would use for elk.

If it was going to be a longer range gun then you have all kinds of options. I personally would still stay 30 or 338 caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.