Gun case for flying.

Think I mentioned this the last time it came up. I've taken a Pelican from Adak to the artic circle all way to the Florida panhandle and lots of places in between. Strapped it to the belly of a janky bush plane, used it as a seat in an airboat, even had it float out of a swamped lund.... they take a beating. Probably newer or fancier mousetraps out there but non as proven to me.

I've used a 2 gun metal case from Cabela's that I bought in the mid 1990's. It's been from Atlanta to Edmonton for 13 hunting trips and other than a few minor scraps and dents it still protects my gun 100%. My only wish was it had wheels so I could put my duffel bag on top of it and roll it into the airport.
When the African hunt bug hit me I bought a metal 2 gun Safari Case with wheels from Americase. It's great for travel since I use a bungee cord to strap my duffel bag to it heading into the airport. With 10 round trips to Africa, with both the Atlanta to Jo'berg legs and Jo'berg to interior county legs, it just has a few scratches and dirt to show for it.
With both of these gun cases my guns were still zeroed in upon arrival.

Something to note when buying a gun case for airline travel, be aware of the weight. With airlines now charging as overweight a 50 Lbs. bag, see what the combined weight of your new case plus firearms and anything you'll be putting in will be. Most 2 gun cases are around 25 pounds and if you add on the 2 rifles, scopes, slings, extra magazines and locks you'll be getting close to that 50 Lbs. mark. If you're just traveling with one gun you now have room to securely add optics and not worry about the weight.
The padding in your gun case needs to hold your gun securely. Some case have you pluck out the space your rifle will fit which works, but you can also leave the padding in to hold the gun in place by
pressure. A good way to check your gun in the case is to pack it like you're going to for your trip and drop it a couple of times from 4 or 5 feet. Don't baby it, the airline crews surely won't and if your gun moves around from these "Gentle" drops you need to figure out how to secure it better.
Good Luck on your hunt.

I've used a 2 gun metal case from Cabela's that I bought in the mid 1990's. It's been from Atlanta to Edmonton for 13 hunting trips and other than a few minor scraps and dents it still protects my gun 100%. My only wish was it had wheels so I could put my duffel bag on top of it and roll it into the airport.
When the African hunt bug hit me I bought a metal 2 gun Safari Case with wheels from Americase. It's great for travel since I use a bungee cord to strap my duffel bag to it heading into the airport. With 10 round trips to Africa, with both the Atlanta to Jo'berg legs and Jo'berg to interior county legs, it just has a few scratches and dirt to show for it.
With both of these gun cases my guns were still zeroed in upon arrival.

Something to note when buying a gun case for airline travel, be aware of the weight. With airlines now charging as overweight a 50 Lbs. bag, see what the combined weight of your new case plus firearms and anything you'll be putting in will be. Most 2 gun cases are around 25 pounds and if you add on the 2 rifles, scopes, slings, extra magazines and locks you'll be getting close to that 50 Lbs. mark. If you're just traveling with one gun you now have room to securely add optics and not worry about the weight.
The padding in your gun case needs to hold your gun securely. Some case have you pluck out the space your rifle will fit which works, but you can also leave the padding in to hold the gun in place by
pressure. A good way to check your gun in the case is to pack it like you're going to for your trip and drop it a couple of times from 4 or 5 feet. Don't baby it, the airline crews surely won't and if your gun moves around from these "Gentle" drops you need to figure out how to secure it better.
Good Luck on your hunt.
Didn't know about the 50lbs thing. I like my rifles on the heavier side and I'll be taking 2 of them. Sounds like I'll be paying extra no matter what case I buy.

Where are you located? Maybe I'll rent my case for cheap... don't use it much and I have several SKB's, Pelican, etc. Stay away from the metal cases. They get jacked and are super heavy

Take a big case and put gear in it. It costs the same for an extra bag if it's a Single or a 4 rifle case. Use the space for gear you want to protect on the flight. Binoculars, spotting scope, etc. Load it up as and use the spade.

Take a big case and put gear in it. It costs the same for an extra bag if it's a Single or a 4 rifle case. Use the space for gear you want to protect on the flight. Binoculars, spotting scope, etc. Load it up as and use the spade.
I agree with packing clothing in the case but I wouldn't pack bino, scopes or anything like that in there.