1 full custom or 4-5 factory guns????

Yeah, I have heard that saying but don't subscribe to it. The with multiple rifle is more likely to have a lot more trigger time.

There was a time I only had one rifle and didn't shoot more than a box a year through it. I wasn't a bad shot, but my proficiency is better shooting multiple rifles.
I agree. My proficiency has increased to such a level where I can shoot any gun good, and I can assure you that if your gun isn't shooting, it's your gun or ammo, and not the nut behind the bang-switch. Example, my buddy is a K9 Unit for the next adjacent town over, and he came to the range with us one day to sight in his deer rifle. Remington 710 (piece of junk) .270 Win. Had some cheap Fusion roundnose junk, and his rifle HATED them! He thought his scope was screwed, but I saw him keep fiddling with it constantly after about 14 shots. I finally said, here, go shoot your pistols, let me handle this... So I shot it, and got shot 1 dialed in. Shot #2 was 4" away. Shot 3 was 6" away and it was shooting them all over the place in a 6" circle. This thing wouldn't group to save it's life from the scrap kiln. I told him to get some higher quality ammo and we'd go back to the range to try this again. And if that didn't work, send it back to Remington with a nice note telling them it's a *** that won't shoot a 6" group @ 100 yards, with a very experienced shooter.

I feel your pain! Over several years time I too acquired several factory bolt guns. Most of them had some minor work done. I bought a few rifles as donor actions and had my smith rebarrel with Douglas barrel. All of them shot okay but the allure of a high priced rifle was still nagging me. I started to sell off all of the factory and semi custom guns. As I searched for a builder I came across a HS Precision that was exactly what I wanted. Stock color, length of pull and so on. Then I bought Swarovski glass and sold all of my Leupolds. I continued to sell and bought a Dakota and topped it with Swarovski glass. I had Red Hawk rifles build my 13 year old a custom and once again put , you guessed it a Z5 on top. My last purchase was a Cooper. Great gun but I am selling because I don't want to go down this road where I accumulate rifles again. The 300 win mag and 280 AI will do it all for me. I have a few others guns that are sentimental, so they will always have a place in the safe. Having one or two great guns with load development that puts the bullets on top of each other provides confidence. I just wish I would have done this years ago and saved myself a truck load of money! Good luck to ya

It all depends on what you want to do with them and what level of precision you want.

First off, I would never have just one rifle.

I don't own a full custom yet but it is in my plans to get 1 or 2 or more. I've got 3 semi customs, with match grade barrels, quality bedded stocks and blue printed factory actions. These are my long range rifles.

match grade barrel, quality stock, blue printed action? Wouldnt that be a full custom? Also, not being a smart ***, but what makes a custom action a custom? Stiller, Borden, Surgeon, etc...are all made by a company with pre set plans and machinery and they are produced just like any other good (minus excellent, excellent quality control). Do we just use "custom" as a defualt word since they are excellent quality?

Also, I would go with at least one full custom (regardless of your definition, lol) so you can appreciate the craftsmanship, style, and accuracy of a rifle made by a reputable gunsmith/manufacturer. AND if its made to your specs you will have confidence in making that once in a lifetime shot if it ever came to it.

I can't own just one rifle...thats crazy. :D

match grade barrel, quality stock, blue printed action? Wouldnt that be a custom? Also, not being a smart ***, but what makes a custom action a custom? Stiller, Borden, Surgeon, etc...are all made by a company with pre set plans and machinery and they are produced just like any other good (minus excellent, excellent quality control). Do we just use "custom" as a defualt word since they are excellent quality?

Also, I would go with at least one full custom (regardless of your definition, lol) so you can appreciate the craftsmanship, style, and accuracy of a rifle made by a reputable gunsmith/manufacturer. AND if its made to your specs you will have confidence in making that once in a lifetime shot if it ever came to it.

I can't own just one rifle...thats crazy. :D
Custom actions are fully machined from solid billet steel, and not from cheaper cast steel, which is not as strong, and is more brittle and porous because of the nature of the casting process. Plus, the entire receiver and bolt assembly have been machined to exacting tolerances that are much higher and tighter than a factory action.

Yes, those brands you mentioned are based off of the 700 design, and will fit in place of a factory 700, however, their design has been improved upon, based on the years that people have figured out the 700's weak points.

A "full-custom" would be a rifle built on a custom action with no factory-produced parts, that was all put together by 1 smith and is flawless.

A "custom" or "semi-custom" is a rifle built off a factory action that has been trued or modified.

I had been working up to get a custom action until I acquired a Tikka M695. It has everything that a custom action has without the price. I put a good, heavy barrel on it. Up until i got it, i was looking really hard at getting a surgeon action to build upon, but I am completely satisfied with what that Tikka has offered. Now, I want another to build up! My semi-custom infatuation all started with mausers, then Remingtons, and the latest is the tikka! I just wish that there was a better aftermarket for it is all. That being said, I have never handled nor shot a full custom, only semi customs.

I am not into selling guns. I have kids and grandkids to give anything they can pry from my hands. That's my main excuse for keep buying as this one could use this or that. I have well over 10 guns I have never shot but mainly they were bought with the grandkids in mind... Soon as they grow a little they can use them..... or at least that's what I tell myself. I have 2 more projects to get done and then I am starting my custom account. There are 4-5 calibers I really would like to have in a custom... Just need to figure out which one and go for it. I guess I really only need to save 50% for the down payment then I could have another year or so to save the rest while the smith works his magic.. Thanks for all the comments...dgarrett

I am not into selling guns. I have kids and grandkids to give anything they can pry from my hands. That's my main excuse for keep buying as this one could use this or that. I have well over 10 guns I have never shot but mainly they were bought with the grandkids in mind... Soon as they grow a little they can use them..... or at least that's what I tell myself. I have 2 more projects to get done and then I am starting my custom account. There are 4-5 calibers I really would like to have in a custom... Just need to figure out which one and go for it. I guess I really only need to save 50% for the down payment then I could have another year or so to save the rest while the smith works his magic.. Thanks for all the comments...dgarrett

A good way to manage the timing and budget is to order the components you need once you have the funds. Some of them will probably take 6 months or longer to get in. While waiting for the components to arrive, you can save for labor (smithing) My smith requires half down which is OK with me because, 1) I trust him and 2) it helps me budget.

Here's a little checklist that might help...

Reamer and gauges if required
Custom dies from reamer drawing if required
Action
Stock
Barrel
Brass
Bullets
Powder

Most glass and related components are readily available. And can be purchased during the smithing.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts