My first full custom!

SOUTHTEXASBOY

Well I got bitten by the long range bug about a year ago so I decided to start the process of rounding up all the part to build my first full custom rifle, here are the list of parts used...

Defiance deviant long action 30 Moa base

Xlr Carbon chassis, 15 inch hand guard, folder, tactical lite butt stock,
338 CIP length mags

Bartlein 28inch 1:8.5 twist R5 medium Palma contour barrel

Night force ATACR 5-25x56 MOART reticle, Nightforce rings with bubble level cap

Atlas PSR bipod

Thunder beast arms Ultra 9 suppresser FDE (still in jail)

I contacted Clayton Smith from West Texas Ordnance out in west Texas about putting it all together for me. With several phone calls back and forth I decided to go with the tried and trued 7 rem mag, pushing 180 Berger Hybrids. I sent him some pictures of the type of camouflage cerakote I was after and he came up with this design, I think it came out absolutely perfect.
I started load development after breaking in the barrel and this is the best group I have so far, .2 vertical and .4 horizontal at 200 yards. I just need to load some more for verification. I'm using Norma brass, 215m primers, 71.5 grains H1000, .005 off the lands, going around 3000fps or so.
All in all I can't explain how happy I am with the way it turned out and the way it is shooting so far.

image.jpg

It weighs right at 14.5 pounds loaded ready to go. It will be used mostly hunting but I will also use it to shoot steel for fun. I have the ability to dial out to 2200 yards but doubt I will every shoot that far but I'm sure going to try.

Thank you, it has been a dream/goal to build a full custom, I think it turned out awesome, hopefully I can take it out this weekend and see what it can do.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.