My first full custom =)

Spent the morning fire forming the rest of my brass and checking data on full power, fire formed loads. Put about 45 rounds down range and my shoulder's not the least bit sore or even red! This cartridge has less recoil than my father-in-law's -06 pushing 180 Partitions at 2800fps! I'm getting an average speed of 3000fps with the Berger 180 Hybrids! I don't understand how this is happening, but will not be complaining about it. =) Haven't taken it out any further than 50 yards at this point, but I'm betting groups will look great at distance.
I can't wait to find something worth pulling the trigger on. I've got hogs, bobcats, and cougars in the area, so I'll just have to be patient and wait for an opportunity. I really want to see how these hybrids perform on the heavy bones of a hog!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 80
Spent the morning fire forming the rest of my brass and checking data on full power, fire formed loads. Put about 45 rounds down range and my shoulder's not the least bit sore or even red! This cartridge has less recoil than my father-in-law's -06 pushing 180 Partitions at 2800fps! I'm getting an average speed of 3000fps with the Berger 180 Hybrids! I don't understand how this is happening, but will not be complaining about it. =) Haven't taken it out any further than 50 yards at this point, but I'm betting groups will look great at distance.
I can't wait to find something worth pulling the trigger on. I've got hogs, bobcats, and cougars in the area, so I'll just have to be patient and wait for an opportunity. I really want to see how these hybrids perform on the heavy bones of a hog!

We have found the SS case to give more of a push than a slam! I don't exactly know why but its evident! 3000' is pretty darn good for a 23" barrel Wil..........Rich

63.3gr of RL26 is giving me semi-flattened primers but the pockets are still very tight and sticky bolt lift is a non-issue so far. I really want to try and wring some more speed out of this short barrel. I'm going to do a little ladder test next time and go up in .2gr increments and see where things get interesting or plateau out for me. I believe I can reach 3050fps, potentially closer to 3100fps, with this 23 incher! Groups have consistently gotten smaller as speeds went up for me so far... I've always had a need for speed.

Been messing around with loads the past week and seeing what I can do with lighter loadings.
Here's the details for the pic:
Sierra 140gr SBT
3350'
107 yard target
67.0gr RL26
2.75" COAL
Looks like she's a shooter, even with the cheap stuff =)
I think I'm gonna throw a radial brake on just to mitigate recoil enough for spotting shots at 100 yards, and plan on trying out the Berger 140gr VLD and Barnes 145gr LRX with similar charges in the coming weeks.

Attachments

• 72981348-3023-4EDE-BC46-EA2DBC77AF70.jpg
    72981348-3023-4EDE-BC46-EA2DBC77AF70.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 80
Nice rifle, and nice shooting. The Sherman Shorts are intriguing me a lot for the second barrel of my Savage Switch Barrel Build.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.