My first full custom =)

wilkup

I just sent the parts off to Rhian with High Country Precision (bigngreen) to have everything put together and set up to shoot the 7mm SS.
My last rifle I put together to shoot one of Rich's rounds shot excellent and I'm going to be crossing my fingers on another winner with this one.
It's being made with a Fierce action, Bartlein #3 barrel, and a McMillan Hunter stock. I'll finishing the barrel at 23" and throwing 6 straight flutes on it to hopefully drop a little weight.
This is my first experience with McMillan and when the box arrived, I was very impressed with the craftsmanship compared to my previous experiences with B&C Medalist stocks! The Hunter feels so good in the hand! Can't wait to get this rifle back from Rhian and take it for a spin!
I'll post pics soon =)

Did a tour of the McMillan shop last month, pretty impressed, all had done expect for the machining, now I see why it takes 5 months to get a stock

Right now I'm trying to figure out what finish to throw on this rifle once it's completed. Any thoughts on this?
Cerakote
Nitride
DLC
Teflon
Other?

I want it to protect from the weather (heat, snow and rain) as well as bumps and bruises along the way.

Last edited:
I've got some updates on this build =)

Rhian is an OCD gunsmith, and I use that term POSITIVELY!
He's sent me a few pics of the progress I thought I'd share =)

Here's the highlights of my build -
"Rifle throws up like a shotgun, very well balanced, kinda wanting to keep it"
"180 Berger hybrid .040 off the lands"

Oh, one more thing, I decided to go with Stone Grey Cerakote for all the metal parts!

Attachments

• image1.PNG
    image1.PNG
    351.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 67
  • image3.PNG
    image3.PNG
    315 KB · Views: 79
First 3 rounds downrange!!!

First three rounds downrange and I'm blown away! Rhian didn't do any load work and got the 180 Bergers into an excellent group =) Even with a ridiculously heavy trigger pull! This rifle is going to be a hammer, which I doubt I'll be getting rid of =)

Attachments

• image1 (2).jpg
    image1 (2).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Wanted to post an update with an updated pic of the finished rifle.
I haven't had a chance to take her to the range yet, due to a family crisis that's been ongoing the past few weeks, but didn't want to leave y'all hanging.
Rhian did an awesome job of putting this rifle together and I can't recommend his services enough!
One thing I will be doing is selling the SHV as I found I preferred the Burris Veracity 2-10.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 91
Wanted to post an update with an updated pic of the finished rifle.
I haven't had a chance to take her to the range yet, due to a family crisis that's been ongoing the past few weeks, but didn't want to leave y'all hanging.
Rhian did an awesome job of putting this rifle together and I can't recommend his services enough!
One thing I will be doing is selling the SHV as I found I preferred the Burris Veracity 2-10.

Very nice rig, congrats! Yep, the Burris Veracity line is so underrated and people like you and I (very impressed with my 4-20x50 thus far) are slowly realizing what it has to offer. :):Dgun)

Keep us posted. Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.