My first full custom =)

So what do you not like with the Nightforce SHV???? I ask as Im considering one myself.....

It's not so much that I don't like it, as much as I just prefer the Veracity. The SHV glass is better and the MOAR reticle for punching paper would be much preferred. For the price difference, the Veracity offers a hell of a product imo. I actually prefer the reticle too, as it seems to draw my eyes to the center and the FFP is a nice touch too.
I don't want to take anything from the SHV, I mean, it's a NF. I just found the Burris does everything I want it to do for a hunting scope.
I have my NF posted in classifieds if you're interested. Comes with Seekins rings and an EGW rail if interested.

Very nice rig, congrats! Yep, the Burris Veracity line is so underrated and people like you and I (very impressed with my 4-20x50 thus far) are slowly realizing what it has to offer. :):Dgun)

Keep us posted. Cheers!

My first 2-10 was actually a pretty big let down. I got a lemon but that little problem has given me a chance to get first hand experience of their warranty service department. They were easy to talk to, sent over a shipping label and I mailed it off with UPS. Waiting on the return still but I have been in to a few shops and know what to expect as far as quality goes from this line now. Can't wait to get it back and mounted up!
Truth be told, your review is the biggest contributing factor to my interest in purchasing one at all. Thanks.

Last edited:
That is a GREAT looking rifle Wil! I knew you would appreciate Rhians work. I found that 60 grains of RL26 with a 180 VLD shot very well in mine. It also shot a tight group at 62 grains and 3060'. I think you will find this 7SS to be a VERY effective (and efficient ) rifle. I can't wait to see some game dispatched with it. Derkster and I will likely be slinging some lead with ours too.
I hope your family crisis goes well. You will be in my prayers!....Rich

Right now I'm trying to figure out what finish to throw on this rifle once it's completed. Any thoughts on this?
Cerakote
Nitride
DLC
Teflon
Other?

I want it to protect from the weather (heat, snow and rain) as well as bumps and bruises along the way.

Nitride. 1 (619) 596- 7444, 1 (330) 745-3075

Finally an update!

I finally had the cash put together to send Rich for dies and brass. I should have all the parts needed to get this little rifle throwing lead very soon.
I've got a handful of rounds I will be trying in this rifle, including: Berger 195 EOL, Berger 180 Hybrid, Hornady 162 ELDX, Nosler 140 Accubond, and Barnes 145 LRX. I will be doing a performance test with each of them, if accuracy is acceptable, on the hogs that live on my property. Hoping to see how effective they are and how well they hold together, or not, on shoulder shots with these big boys.
Will be posting updates as I get the chance to shoot the rifle here pretty quick and I'm sure it will be one very accurate thunder stick.

Finally an update!

I finally had the cash put together to send Rich for dies and brass. I should have all the parts needed to get this little rifle throwing lead very soon.
I've got a handful of rounds I will be trying in this rifle, including: Berger 195 EOL, Berger 180 Hybrid, Hornady 162 ELDX, Nosler 140 Accubond, and Barnes 145 LRX. I will be doing a performance test with each of them, if accuracy is acceptable, on the hogs that live on my property. Hoping to see how effective they are and how well they hold together, or not, on shoulder shots with these big boys.
Will be posting updates as I get the chance to shoot the rifle here pretty quick and I'm sure it will be one very accurate thunder stick.

Can't wait to see those piggys!:D

Well, I got my dies and loaded up five rounds last night after work. I just needed to pull the trigger and see how it fired after waiting almost a year since purchasing the first piece of this build. I loaded the shells up with CCI BR2 primers, 59 grains of Mag Pro, and a 154 grain Hornady Interbond. I didn't get the chronograph out to check speeds because it was late and I was in a hurry to fire the rounds.
The brass was fireformed without a hitch! I used Accurate Powder starting load data for the 7 SAUM and MagPro off their website and I'm guessing the bullets were moving right around 2700fps. Rifle was bore-sighted beforehand and shooting offhand, I was able to put all five rounds into one hole at about 50 yards.
I've got some 162gr ELDX to load up once I get the brass formed, pick up some RL26, and find some magnum primers.
It's about to get real!
Here piggy piggy piggy...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Well, I got my dies and loaded up five rounds last night after work. I just needed to pull the trigger and see how it fired after waiting almost a year since purchasing the first piece of this build. I loaded the shells up with CCI BR2 primers, 59 grains of Mag Pro, and a 154 grain Hornady Interbond. I didn't get the chronograph out to check speeds because it was late and I was in a hurry to fire the rounds.
The brass was fireformed without a hitch! I used Accurate Powder starting load data for the 7 SAUM and MagPro off their website and I'm guessing the bullets were moving right around 2700fps. Rifle was bore-sighted beforehand and shooting offhand, I was able to put all five rounds into one hole at about 50 yards.
I've got some 162gr ELDX to load up once I get the brass formed, pick up some RL26, and find some magnum primers.
It's about to get real!

Lookin' good Wil!

And so it begins...

Berger 180 Hybrid - CHECK!
RL26 - CHECK!
CCI BR2 Primers - CHECK!
Fire-formed brass - CHECK!
Strawberry jello saturated corn - CHECK!

No pigs yet but my local shop is LOADED with all the powder I could dream of!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 62
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.