Full custom vs factory rifle

nksmfamjp

This is hard to post. I have several full custom rifles and may have more built.

That said, I have a nice lightweight Ruger M77 that is a legitimate sub moa hunting rifle. I had a factory Savage 12 300 WSM that made 0.6 MOA groups easy. I have shot a friends Savage 12 308win that I could always shoot 3-5shot groups under 1/2 moa.

My custom rifles all shoot fine, but I have had some terrible groups during load development.…like 1.5". Still, best groups were always sub 1/4moa….so, I guess….

If a guy is looking for a 0.75moa shooter, should they go custom, or shoot and develop a great load in a factory rifle? From the viewpoint of accuracy, what am I missing? ….or is it really about everything else in a custom rifle?

Buying one off the rack is probably going to get you a decent hunting rifle. For the custom builds, you have a say in what it should look like and how well it "can or should" shoot. Hand loading is usually a requirement, either way, to get the benefit out of either rifle.
Like most here have said, find all the cartridge components first, then find a rifle to shoot it. Trying times right now.

It all depends on your budget and what you are looking for. certain action, barrel, stock, chambering , etc.

With all of that said, there are a lot of factory Rifles that I would take a hard look at, Waypoint, Seekins, Havak, etc...

not a fan of CA or Fierce, sorry for anyone that is offended. I have seen several non performers to scare me away.

I have factory, semi-custom, and full custom rifles. I have owned quite a few factory rifles that were capable of producing accuracy/SD's comparable to my full customs(<.5MOA/SD<5). The issue is that buying such a factory rifle can be hit or miss. The probability of a custom or semi-custom delivering top accuracy is pretty good and often guaranteed. While a certain level of accuracy has clearly been a requirement with any rifle I acquire, my customs typically have other distinguishing requirements I desire. This could be a proprietary cartridge, and/or a particular set of components(stock, action, barrel, etc) that fills a particular need, not available with a factory offering. Myself and my friends first season shooting PRC. about four years ago, was shot with out of-the=box Ruger RPR's. Interestingly both our rifles were as accurate through 120/round matches for that furst season, as our full customs acquired for the following season. With a season under our belts, our full customs did include many of those aforementioned distinguishing requirements.
8B0C6D33-4A88-408F-B3EF-80582B7CD4FB.jpegC611AAB7-B66C-413E-A785-54DDA5477227.jpeg

Last edited:
IMHO, one first needs to determine budget. The selection ends right there for many folks - custom isn't an option. But if budget allows custom, then - reload or only shoot factory ammo. Then caliber, as it seems many factory guns shoot the 6cm, 6.5cm, and a few others very well with factory ammo. Next would be features/fit along with the one thing often not thought about - time. Time to reload, assemble your own gun, develop your own load, range time to verify- it adds up quick for many folks. Not to mention availability of ammo/components this day and time. No wonder this winds up being quite a few decisions to make and rarely comes down to comparing apples-to-apples.

Oh, and for some - it's got to look good too 😊