Factory rifle vs custom build

I second the Big Horn TL3 LA (DLC and 30 MOA Rail) with a prefit. If it were me it would be a carbon wrapped Bartlein left variable twist with a Fat Bastard. Trigger Tech trigger and adjustable composite stock, say a Manners or GRS. You can pick up 338 and 375 barrels later. Northland and Bighorn Arms both will sell you the tools to change it up yourself in minutes for different hunts. Three calibers, no Smith. More Ammo. Saving up for it now myself.

Hello, I am looking at purchasing a 300 prc. I live in AK so want a larger caliber in case I run into a bear. I am wanting to get advice. Should get a custom gun from a place like R bros or get a stock gun from Fierce or Christensen Arms. Full disclosure I do not reload. Someday I may but at this point in my life with working full time, kids and fishing I just don't have time. If I am shooting factory ammo does custom vs higher end factory rifle make a difference?

If I do go custom other than R bros any recommendations.
Thanks for your help
Ryan
Just my opinion....but today's gun builders (factory) have so many tremendous offerings no point in looking elsewhere unless you fully understand what components are worth to you! And why wait perhaps months to get them all together. Fierce, Gunworks, Weatherby, Tika, the list goes on and on of great Sub Moa guaranteed tried and true guns!

What caliber I was looking at that same rifle in the 6.5 PRC
The .300 PRC like I said is simply amazing up here in Canada we have lots of open spaces to hunt and target shoot. The sky is the limit lots of local ranges to shoot out to 2.5 miles target shooting and the same for hunting the big mulies bucks. Check out some of the ballistics on the .300PRC vrs the .338 Lupa. It is passing the Lupa

What is the price difference between Christensen and a full custom?
How do you feel about paying the difference?
Are you hunting the bear or preparing defend yourself should one come close?
If you are not an Avid hunter you don't need anything more than factory rifle in a suitable chambering.
Close encounter consider the shotgun recommendations that have been made. A pump gun with heavy loads could be good. Alternate between solids and heavy Buskshot maybe
Ive never seen a bear but would love to Hunt one.

If it's just keeping a rifle close by for a possible encounter the the .338wm suggestion seem feasible.

You might buy a new factory rifle in that or .300wm for a fraction of a Christensen or others.

Get a reliable scope and you can eliminate an encounter from 200 yards if you know it's coming in.

If you are happy spending 3k and upwards then buy what you like , it's nice to have good gear , as a hunter I just customised a Tikka on a budget and it does well.

In Australia we see a lot of Howa Rifles, particularly before the later Tikka rifles came around. The Howa/Weatherby 1500/Smith and Wesson 1500 or the early Australian Mountaineer are all made by Howa as a Howa 1500 with some model variants and options and is still capable of hunting accuracy.

With premium ammo most rifles should shoot ok.

Select premium ammo intended for Game so it performs on the intended target. 1/2moa or 1moa shouldn't matter much if you can shoot. As far as hitting a large animal vitals at sensible ranges goes.

Exceptional accuracy is great and it helps but I see it as a prerequisite for long range work but there are many variables.
Starting with a more accurate rifle will help eliminate some of the external effects on the shot or the human error elements.

You can't hunt successfully with a 1moa budget rifle. We just get out jollies by chasing accuracy or quality because it's an interest.

Not sure where you live in AK or where you hunt, and don't get me wrong the 300PRC is a great caliber, but for hunting in AK I think there is a better choice of Caliber and gun since Southern AK is more trees and brush. But like everyone else it's an opinion.

Rebarrel a Savage or go Remage.. best of both worlds. I have found that even with factory ammo match barrels are much more consistent. Reloading is required to take full advantage, but I've still seen significant improvement going to match barrels.

Factory rifles can be very accurate, but it's a bit of a lottery. It may shoot .5moa, it may shoot 1.5 moa. You're stuck with whatever you get unless you start replacing parts.
Yup, you have a point. It's also possible that each rifle 'likes' certain loads better then others and gets the accuracy w/o swapping parts, certainly true in my case.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.