1:8" for 300WM: Is this too fast?

Gain twist barrels were all the rage a couple or three years ago but there are some real issues with them, namely they can tear bullets completely apart particularly at high velocities.

The gain twist will eat away much more of the outer surface of a bullet before it leaves the muzzle than a standard twist barrel will. This can seriously weaken bullets with a thin jacket.
I thought it was a little longer than 3 yrs ago when there were interests in gain twist barrels. I do not recall any being advertised as left twist either, why I think these are a new breed. I'm not big on jumping on others advice either, why I said I will try one for myself and make my own assumptions.
You still shooting that Win STW I sold you many moons ago?

Completely agree. Its not all about velocity. IMO Optimal = the best combination of accuracy+energy+velocity. That's why there are nearly all factory rounds for the 308 are between 150-180 grs.
Since the question is regarding a factory Browning gun, I don't think people that have special throated +long barreled guns apply here.
There's a ton of appreciation for people that are willing and able to experiment with niche loads. Without this group, I'd be shooting a 200 gr accubond- not a 215 Berger.

Agreed!

Yup those guys been doing some amazing things with the 215gr and 230gr Berger. I have the right powders, but not the Berger bullets to test. I may get some ELDM's in the mean time to test loads and velocities. I do have a gallon bag full of 190gr CC's, don't ask don't tell ;). I could play with those and Ramshot Hunter just for fun and to see what might be possible with 185gr-190gr weight class.

In my experience those 190 gr cc are one of the easiest bullets to get to shoot very well. That's in a 300 win and a 30-06. The 30-06 wouldn't shoot anything under 1.5" groups consistently but shot these .75 all day long. In fact the rifle was replaced under warranty for not upholding it's 1 moa requirement but those c.c. were under moa. 300 win mag took a black bear with one around 125 yards and actually performed very nice. Muzzle velocity was around 2950 fps.

I would run from that so called "well known gunsmith".
sounds like he has an 8 twist bbl in stock he want to sell.

Nope, I ended up grabbing a 9 twist because the 8's were all sold out. He said it would work but that a 8 would be better. He doesn't sell barrels and is currently 2yrs out. He knows something we don't.

you believe what you want.
its a free country.
show me your 9 twist groups UNDER 0.2MOA with some 210/220/230's.
I have been there with my 1/10.

Nope, I ended up grabbing a 9 twist because the 8's were all sold out. He said it would work but that a 8 would be better. He doesn't sell barrels and is currently 2yrs out. He knows something we don't.

you believe what you want.
its a free country.
show me your 9 twist groups UNDER 0.2MOA with some 210/220/230's.
I have been there with my 1/10.

I'm not saying that a 10 twist won't work. I'm saying if your going to have a choice then you're better suited with a faster twist. But that's ok, like everyone else in the world, you think yours is better because it's yours. Good luck

There MIGHT be an argument to be made for an 8 with a heavy mono.
But
A 300 W M doesn't have the case capacity for a cup core bullet beyond 230 grs. and keep up the speed. Even the 230 is sacrificing some velocity. IMO hunting bullets should shoot 2800+ fps and that isn't happening with the super heavies. And the heavy combination is far from optimal (just like a 200 GR bullet in a 308 is far from optimal). My 300 wm is my favorite gun and it's close to needing a new barrel. I'll get a 10 or a 9 because after a 215 Berger, you see the law of diminishing returns.
A 30 nosler or 300 rum is a different conversation.

I have two break points, 2,800 and 3,250. If I were shooting thousand yard and beyond targets the super heavies wouldprobably interest me but that's not my shtick.

I think mine is better because I have won matches with it. how many matches has your gunsmith won with his 1/8 300 win mag ? the other side of the coin is life it too short to deal with people that choose not to listen.

I thought it was a little longer than 3 yrs ago when there were interests in gain twist barrels. I do not recall any being advertised as left twist either, why I think these are a new breed. I'm not big on jumping on others advice either, why I said I will try one for myself and make my own assumptions.
You still shooting that Win STW I sold you many moons ago?

The Sharp Shooter is my consistent "go to" gun. It's taken 3 big hogs and a nice ten point in the last six weeks or so. I was carrying it tonight but no hogs showed up to volunteer for a ride to the freezer.

I found it a littermate as well. Can you believe I found a Sharp Shooter in .300 Rum new and unfired?

I think mine is better because I have won matches with it. how many matches has your gunsmith won with his 1/8 300 win mag ? the other side of the coin is life it too short to deal with people that choose not to listen.
Lots of guys are winning matches with factory rifles too.

If you're shooting at the extreme heavy end of heavy for caliber bullets the 8 twist makes sense where it isn't necessary for the mid range bullets you are shooting.

Faster twists than you are used to also become necessary when shooting heavy for caliber mono's due to their lower density and significantly greater length than conventional bullets of the same weight.

Last edited:
Many rifles regardless of twist will shoot UNDER 0.2MOA. With the bullets you list 210/220/230 yes they will shoot out of a 10 twist barrel. Bullet dependant with dictate whether or not its adequately stable or not, example being a 230 OTM vs the 230 matchking.

So saying 10 twist is best because thats what you use and won a match or matches doesnt mean anything. My 8 twist and 10 twist both shoot the 225s i shoot through them. Both are accurate and can shoot UNDER 0.2 MOA as you set, but i screw on the 8 twist when i shoot longer range because it holds tighter than the 10.

So i see your argument as irrelevant to the OPs original question

Aye Sir! I am running 1:9" on one of my .30 cals to propel the 215/230 Bergers.
Sorry feenix i'm late... don't know u guys .. but here where i am berger bullets are hard to find in certain weights.. so i keep shooting my hornady in 208. Or now with good results the 225gn eldx.. i go cheap on powder too. Imr 4350... i will like to keep my barrel for at least another 500 shots.. ...if i keep shooting like last year i will end up changing my barrel twice a year.. lol..