1:8" for 300WM: Is this too fast?

I have had two xbolt stalkers long ranges in 6.5 creed and they have been great rifles. I am also looking at the 300 win in this rifle and from my experience with them i qouldnt hesitate to buy one. However everyones opinion is different. Some good info on here though so thanks for posting the question.

This guy over on accurateshooter does pretty #### good with his 300wsm.
I can just about guarantee you if a 8 or 9 twist was more accurate he would be running one and I bet hes tested them also.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191208-170642_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191208-170642_Chrome.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 254
This guy over on accurateshooter does pretty #### good with his 300wsm.
I can just about guarantee you if a 8 or 9 twist was more accurate he would be running one and I bet hes tested them also.

Looks like he runs an 11? I'm more on the basis of thinking 10 has been the standard for so long, and I am no different from the long-time standard. Until I start shooting well into the 1000s (if it ever happens), I don't think I'll worry about all of the fancier stuff I really have no need for.

Dont hesitate at all with the 8 twist. Better to have enough twist than not enough.

The 8 twist wont hinder anything at all

I'm kind of in this camp. In my 8 twist .300 win mag I wanted to fire form some new brass to my chamber so I put the minimum charge of RE22 in it and a 168gr eldm and it shot sub MOA at 3250 FPS. My AR in 5.56 has a 8 twist barrel and loves both 40gr beger varmint flat base rounds and 70 gr tsx rounds.

Dont hesitate at all with the 8 twist. Better to have enough twist than not enough.

The 8 twist wont hinder anything at all

It won't overspin the bullet? I've heard stories of bullets unraveling in flight due to being overspun? With an 8 on the 300, what range of weight is acceptable? 180s to 220s?

My understanding a 1-10" is all that is needed for a 215gr Berger Hybrid. Which is what I would be running for 300 wsm or a 300 WM. I'm going to try it in my 30-06 when some become available in my area.

I would say depending on how fast you plan on pushing a light weight thin jacket bullet, then yes theres always that possibility. Ive loaded for the 8 twist browning. The 2 loads i made for it are berger 190s for target and plinking because we had a bunch on hand and never planned on using them. And the hunting load is 212 eldx going 3025ish. Neither has issues.

My first post is based on this rifle is "the one you want" as opposed to just wanting it because it has a faster twist.

If you plan on shooting heavies then dont be worried. I wouldnt be with 180+gr bullets

I would say depending on how fast you plan on pushing a light weight thin jacket bullet, then yes theres always that possibility. Ive loaded for the 8 twist browning. The 2 loads i made for it are berger 190s for target and plinking because we had a bunch on hand and never planned on using them. And the hunting load is 212 eldx going 3025ish. Neither has issues.

My first post is based on this rifle is "the one you want" as opposed to just wanting it because it has a faster twist.

If you plan on shooting heavies then dont be worried. I wouldnt be with 180+gr bullets

Ok, that gives me some relief. I only shoot 180s and higher because of the type of game I hunt. I forget if you said you have one of the x-bolts, but if you do, have the longer loads been able to be fed by the magazine or do you have to single feed?

1:8" for heavy for caliber .30's is about right.

The reviews for that rifle are pretty awful so I'd put a lot of thought into it before coughing up a grand for them.

I've shot a couple of them and at best they were 2-3moa rifles and the triggers are horrible.

Would you possibly be able to lead me to the negative reviews about this rifle? I'm wondering if performance is better in the non-LR models..

I had a .308" bore machine that was rifled at 1:10 for 180-grain MatchKings. It shot lights-out unless I abysmally failed it and its fabulously-talented gunsmith...

The 1-8 Twist will shoot just fine and possibly better than most with 180 and below. 180 and above it will stay stable further out than any twist slower. Again New is always scary for some.

My understanding a 1-10" is all that is needed for a 215gr Berger Hybrid. Which is what I would be running for 300 wsm or a 300 WM. I'm going to try it in my 30-06 when some become available in my area.

1:10" (or faster) is the minimum twist for the 215 Berger (https://bergerbullets.com/product/30-caliber-215-grain-hybrid-target/). I have a 1:10" in my .300WSM and propelling the 215 Berger at 2800 FPS. At my range altitude, SG = 1.63 (1.5 or better ensures stability). If I go with ...
1:9": SG = 2.01
1:8"
: SG = 2.25