1:7 twist 6.5?

I have a Sauer with a 1: 8.66 twist. Fired three Berger 156's at a 200 Yard target. All three key holed the target, so they were certainly not stabilized at 200 yards. This rifle shoots 135 and 140 grain bullets Sub-MOA. So now I'm wondering also, how much twist is required to stabilize the 156? (1:8 or 1:7?) Next time at the range I have a couple of boxes of 120 grain I'm going to try because I'm curious how this rifle will do with the lighter range of bullets.

Also, if you do get a 1:7 twist, does that mean it may not shoot 120's or 130's very well?
With solids you can pretty much spin them as fast as you want. In fact, the faster the better - more stable, better BC and better terminal performance.

Problems are jacketed bullets can come apart if lighter construction and any inconsistent jacket thickness will throw the bullets more the faster they spin.

I know Bartlein and Rock Creek for sure will make you a 7 twist. I am debating 7 or 7-1/2 for the 6.5 I'm doing right now. It will be a Rock Creek. I really want to love the Hammers, but the BC is a little lacking. Their latest results show the faster twists get the BC at or better than quoted BC - which tracks with Bryan Litz's writing.

Call Douglas Barrels [(304) 776 1341]. They will rifle your barrel to any twist you desire and they have a pretty fast turnaround. Even better, their tech experts are willing to spend as much time on the phone as needed to discuss what you are trying to achieve and to offer recommendations for your consideration. They just replaced my Remington 700 Varmint barrel in .223 with one rifled 1:10 because I told them I wanted to be able to shoot a variety of bullet weights but not over-stabilize the lighter bullets. After following their break-in instructions for the first 100 rounds, I am consistently shooting sub-1 inch groups with a variety of loads at 225 yds.

Guys who is a barrel maker I can use for an upcoming build?
I called Brux but they don't make one that fast.
I have a Schneider 1:7 P5 on my 6.5 CM and it shoots up to the 156 Berger <0.5 MOA. Great barrel!

I have a Sauer with a 1: 8.66 twist. Fired three Berger 156's at a 200 Yard target. All three key holed the target, so they were certainly not stabilized at 200 yards. This rifle shoots 135 and 140 grain bullets Sub-MOA. So now I'm wondering also, how much twist is required to stabilize the 156? (1:8 or 1:7?) Next time at the range I have a couple of boxes of 120 grain I'm going to try because I'm curious how this rifle will do with the lighter range of bullets.

Also, if you do get a 1:7 twist, does that mean it may not shoot 120's or 130's very well?

I have a 1-8 twist Bartlein and it will shoot the 95 gr VMax less than 1/4 moa. So shooting lighter 120-130 in a 1-7 twist will be no problem.
6C5ED063-2FD4-474C-A36B-AA844251A030.jpeg

Guys who is a barrel maker I can use for an upcoming build?
I called Brux but they don't make one that fast.
I have shot quit a few different barrels. I'm a hunter not a bench shooter. I favor the Krieger barrels. Whatever they do they are doing it very well. I don't have to fowl out my barrels' like others, to make it shoot good. It just shoots good clean or dirty. Krieger even says you don't have to clean his barrels. I'd have to say he is right. It's not something I practice. I have a place I get to hunt and get to leave one of my guns there. I let my friend shoot it. I don't get to go there as much as I like. I miss 2 years once. Long story. He is not very good at cleaning his guns. Mine either. 😠 but guess what. Krieger was right. It still shot very well. I did clean it afterwards. It was a good test. Gun no longer stays there.

Call Bartlein, they will make almost any twist you want, right hand twist, left hand twist, gain twist, etc. You just have to wait for it.

Bartlein or Benchmark will make a 1-7 but I don't think you need it, I'm running a 26" HawkHill 1-8 twist in my 6.5 PRC and having no issues stabilizing the 156 EOL bullets, averaged 3078fps with 56.6grs of R26 and 0.6" groups.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.