1:7 twist 6.5?

Q please. With a mid range price - production rifle - Savage or maybe the Ruger American - or maybe even a Tikka? - in 6.5 Creed - what rate of twist would you suggest for being able to shoot accurate hunting bullets as well as ping at 1,000 yards occasionally. Thanks

Q please. With a mid range price - production rifle - Savage or maybe the Ruger American - or maybe even a Tikka? - in 6.5 Creed - what rate of twist would you suggest for being able to shoot accurate hunting bullets as well as ping at 1,000 yards occasionally. Thanks

I think for the most part rifle companies are using the 1-8 twist for the 6.5 CM

Don't overlook Benchmark barrels! I've built 2 customs in 260 Remington shooting 140 grain Amaxs or ELD's. Both rifle shot half MOA with devastating terminal effects on game animals. In both instances I was able to locate these barrels in 1: 7 twist quite easily and have them available way before my gunsmith was ready for them. Good luck!

Don't overlook Benchmark barrels! I've built 2 customs in 260 Remington shooting 140 grain Amaxs or ELD's. Both rifle shot half MOA with devastating terminal effects on game animals. In both instances I was able to locate these barrels in 1: 7 twist quite easily and have them available way before my gunsmith was ready for them. Good luck!

I've used about 40 Benchmark barrels and they have been awesome to say the least.
Usually available or if you have to order one they show up in a reasonable amount of time

I think for the most part rifle companies are using the 1-8 twist for the 6.5 CM
I know my Tikka, Weatherby Vangaurd and my TC Encore barrel as well as a TC Compass I sold all had 1 in 8 twist. Also my CA Ridgeline and MGM Encore barrel 6.5 PRC's are 1 in 8. I bought some 156 EOL and 144 Hybrids but haven't tried them in any yet. 124 Hammers are xlnt. Was disappointed that the 131 Hammer didn't shoot well in Tikka and Encore Creeds and MGM PRC but in knew they required 1 in 7.5 twist. Took a chance. Maybe will work in Ridgeline PRC. Going to try in a Cooper 6.5x284 also. Not sure but probably a 1 in 8 also. Hoping the Berger 144 does well in Creeds.

....I'm wanting to be able to use the 137 Hammers.....

A lot of good barrel makers out there that will make to order.

Bartlein turned a 1-6", 6.5 for me.

Specific to the 137 Hammer 1-7" should work, not to put words in his mouth , but I think starting from scratch Steve might recommend 1-6.5". A call to ask could be worthwhile.

Guys who is a barrel maker I can use for an upcoming build?
I called Brux but they don't make one that fast.
1:7 Ive had luck with Bartlein 5r
Have used both. For me I found The windows (Velocity/RPM/bullet weight) for everything GOOD are smaller on 6.5:1s

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.