6.5-20x44 too much for a 1/12 twist .223?

mustardtiger56

Hi all, so I am trying to find a scope for my .223 and had almost decided on a vortex viper 6.5-20x44. I will primarily be using this rifle for varminting and long range shooting(not a good idea for 1/12 I am told). However, I have been told by some it will be fine and I will be able to shoot out to 500 yards or so, while others have said it's too much because I will not be able to get out much past 300 with a 1/12. What do you guys think? The rifle is a browning varmint special and with a 26" heavy barrel.

Thanks

I think that you can shoot a 53 grain Vmax just fine to 500 yards out of a 223 and a 1 in12" bbl. The research I've done it looks to me like the 53 grain Vmax may deliver the best BC available for your barrel. BTW the 53 grain has a better BC than the 55 grain.

A lot of variables involved, get the scope you like. Worst that could happen is you'll see those 500 yard target better than with a lesser scope.

I've done a lot of shooting with a .220 swift to beyond 500yds with 55gr and lighter bullets.

I've done the same with a .204 Ruger shooting 32gr pills.

I would strongly recommend going with a 50mm obj scope though over the 44mm. They just gather dramatically more light all else being equal.

YMMV but My 12tw 223 will shoot only 40gn V-Max. At 3750fps.

It holds up out to 300yards.

It used to wear a 8-24PST it was a fine scope. I've gone to Sightron or Leupold with a few odd balls.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.