1:7 twist 6.5?

DXHI

Guys who is a barrel maker I can use for an upcoming build?
I called Brux but they don't make one that fast.

Just wondering, loading for a friend's 6.5-06 with a 1:7, so far doesn't like anything. I might need to try some of the heavy Hammers.

I have a Sauer with a 1: 8.66 twist. Fired three Berger 156's at a 200 Yard target. All three key holed the target, so they were certainly not stabilized at 200 yards. This rifle shoots 135 and 140 grain bullets Sub-MOA. So now I'm wondering also, how much twist is required to stabilize the 156? (1:8 or 1:7?) Next time at the range I have a couple of boxes of 120 grain I'm going to try because I'm curious how this rifle will do with the lighter range of bullets.

Also, if you do get a 1:7 twist, does that mean it may not shoot 120's or 130's very well?

X Caliber, McGowen and K&P will make you a 7" twist barrel.

I've seen fast twist barrels be very picky about what bullets they'll shoot, so be careful going too crazy with the twist. I currently have a 1-7" twist .270 barrel that is too much for a lot of bullets and still won't stabilize the 168gr Hammer Hunter at 200' elevation when it's below 55° outside.

I have a Sauer with a 1: 8.66 twist. Fired three Berger 156's at a 200 Yard target. All three key holed the target, so they were certainly not stabilized at 200 yards. This rifle shoots 135 and 140 grain bullets Sub-MOA. So now I'm wondering also, how much twist is required to stabilize the 156? (1:8 or 1:7?) Next time at the range I have a couple of boxes of 120 grain I'm going to try because I'm curious how this rifle will do with the lighter range of bullets.

Also, if you do get a 1:7 twist, does that mean it may not shoot 120's or 130's very well?
The box says "1:8" twist MINIMUM". Key word being MINIMUM.
I have shot them in a 1:8" 6.5SAUM @2974fps, and they flew great out to 858 so far. Very accurate.
I run them is a 1:7.5" @ 3020fps, and accuracy is amazing.
I also shoot the 131 Hammers @ 3220fps, and wow. Out to 921, they have been crazy accurate. But BC is lower than claimed. I wanted to shoot the 137s, but was worried about twist too. Glad I stayed with the 131s and run them lightning fast.

Bartlein, Mullerworks, Kreiger, Rock Creek, & Proof all make a 6.5mm 1:7.5"
Probably can call and order a 6.5mm 1:7" from a few too.
Bruno's has a Kreiger 6.5mm 1:7" heavy palma in stock now. https://www.brunoshooters.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=26012
And a light palma https://www.brunoshooters.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=558
They have light varmint, heavy varmint, and straight in stock too.

I was running a 7.5 Bart for the 150smk. 6.5/06ai 3110 27" + brake. I had 72 through it before it was bought by a friend of mine. He just shot it @ 1100 yesterday. In his words well minus the Rule 4 violations, Holy ***it was *%#ing awesome. His first time past 300yds ever

A little bit more detail such as what cartridge your looking at, altitude etc may help with better responses and guide you in the right direction.
For you guys wet tumbling your brass what tumbler are you using? Do you like it or wish you had another one? Tumblers to stay away from?

Corey
I'm wanting to be able to use the 137 Hammers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.