1:7 twist 6.5?

I would go a Bartlein in 1:7 and I would go with the 5R rifleing. Some of the barrels with 4groove and 6groove were having trouble with the heavier bullets Dauch as the 150 SMK Nd 156 Berger's holding together, the 5R seems to be the trick.

Thanks for the replies guys. This is going on the OG 6.5 magnum.....the 264 win mag..committing to getting in shape and setting my goal for the white king of the mountain.

I know this is about 1:7 twist but just wanted to show that there are 1:8 that shoot heavy pills well. (As I'm sure your all aware of). In my experience there are just some pills that are hard to swallow. Pardon the pun. They just don't shoot well.
here is my Sako Finnlight 20"SS barrel in 6.5 CM with a 160gr RN @ 100m. It's my eastern black bear load.
good luck. Please post your final setup. Very interested in what shoots well.

Attachments

• 368B93AA-0D54-4620-990A-1826CF60CE6E.jpeg
    368B93AA-0D54-4620-990A-1826CF60CE6E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
The 160 grain RN's make great short range bullets. I can't recall their length, but measure one, and compare to some of the newer bullets designed for long range.

The 160 grain RN's make great short range bullets. I can't recall their length, but measure one, and compare to some of the newer bullets designed for long range.
Oh yes I agree. It was for illustration That heavy bullets can be accurate In a 1:8 6.5. That's Y it's my bush bullet. minor deflection in the deep dark knurled bush. Just curious. What are the majority of the 6.5x55. 1:8? They have been shooting 156gr for years in Finland.

.......Just curious. What are the majority of the 6.5x55. 1:8? They have been shooting 156gr for years in Finland.......

Norma makes a 156 grain RN that's 1.29"-The 156 Berger is 1.512"-The 137 Hammer Hunter is 1.557" long.

Most of the military rifles in 6.5, are 1-8" +/-, of similar shape to what you are shooting and 1-8" is totally appropriate for that type of bullet. As bullets get longer a generally faster twist is required to fully stabilize them.

The box says "1:8" twist MINIMUM". Key word being MINIMUM.
I have shot them in a 1:8" 6.5SAUM @2974fps, and they flew great out to 858 so far. Very accurate.
I run them is a 1:7.5" @ 3020fps, and accuracy is amazing.
I also shoot the 131 Hammers @ 3220fps, and wow. Out to 921, they have been crazy accurate. But BC is lower than claimed. I wanted to shoot the 137s, but was worried about twist too. Glad I stayed with the 131s and run them lightning fast.

Bartlein, Mullerworks, Kreiger, Rock Creek, & Proof all make a 6.5mm 1:7.5"
Probably can call and order a 6.5mm 1:7" from a few too.
Bruno's has a Kreiger 6.5mm 1:7" heavy palma in stock now. https://www.brunoshooters.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=26012
And a light palma https://www.brunoshooters.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=558
They have light varmint, heavy varmint, and straight in stock too.
Both Bartlein and Krieger do made to order twists including gain twists

You might play with Berger's Bullet Stability Calculator (on their website) to get some ideas of what twist will work for you. You need some specs on the Hammer bullets and then you can enter data like temperature and elevation you typically shoot in to find out what might work best for your needs.

Thanks Starlite, This makes good sense. If my 1:8.66 twist shoots 140 grain well below a quarter MOA, and 142 Sub-MOA, it stands to reason that a 1:8 would work better with the heavy bullets. But you might not need to go down to 1:7. Maybe the longer Hammer bullets need 7.5 to stabilize.
I know this is about 1:7 twist but just wanted to show that there are 1:8 that shoot heavy pills well. (As I'm sure your all aware of). In my experience there are just some pills that are hard to swallow. Pardon the pun. They just don't shoot well.
here is my Sako Finnlight 20"SS barrel in 6.5 CM with a 160gr RN @ 100m. It's my eastern black bear load.
good luck. Please post your final setup. Very interested in what shoots well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.