03 A3 action - does it have potential?

0311 G Az

I have an 03 - A3 action, of course in 06. Completely sporterized in a nice Fajen wood stock, devcon bedding. It is time for a new barrel - I am kinda done with the 30-06, so what should I go with? I don't think this can be made into a magnum, I don't know enough, so I figured I would ask here.

Anybody do a nice laminated stock for prone/bipod shooting?

I know I could go 7mm 08, 308 which are not really "long range." I am currently comfortable and scoped to go to work out to 500 yards on maybe antelope/deer but not elk. I am just not confident in my skills to go futher yet - on paper sure, there is no looking for a wounded animal. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you
George

I would call Kevin Cram at Montoure county rifles he did a nice 03 on here a year or so back.

As far as the round is concerned what do you want to do with it? Id say no magnums like you said but there are alot of options to say the least. Personaly I would stick with something base on the 30-06 cast like a 280 rem.

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.