Have access to a 788 action is it worth messing with??

kweidner

I can get it for $100. It has a tuned trigger but the barrel is crap. Thinking about building off of it. I have a Sendero stock just hanging around. Anybody ever build off this action? I am concerned about the lugs in the rear. Just doesn't seem to lend itself to great accuracy. What do you guys think?

My first rifle was a 788 in .308. I shot it for years. Since I was just getting started with rifles, I didn't understand what all the fuss was about rifles that shot groups under 1 in. My 788 would do 3/4 in groups all day, seemingly regardless of the load. I found out later that the 788 was a sort of embarassment for Remington. It was their "cheap" rifle, but it often shot better than the pricier 700s. This in spite of the rear locking lugs, non-adjustable trigger & cheap everything else.

My 3rd rifle was a 788 Lefthand in 6mm Rem. When the trap shooting bug bit me I sold it so I could buy a Citori Trap. Now that bug has subsided and I regret my act of stupidity.

Those rifles ARE shooters.

I am not sure how you will make the floor plate and clip feed work to your satifaction with that stock. But for those who are mechnically gifted that should be able to be worked out.

BUY IT!!!

I thought about making it a single shot for long range plinking. I guess I can find a follower for it. I figure even with a good match bbl, I wouldn't have much in it. OK, now that I am going to buy it, let's kick the hornets nest. It is a long action. All my current configurations are based on short actions. What is the most efficient LA round. I don't want punishing and I really prefer not to have a break (too loud) I shoot with protection but there is the occasional shot hunting when I don't have my ears. I made the mistake one time of loosing my .308 which has a break without protection. I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN! My ears rang for hours. I already have a .280 in a Thompson (good short range rig out to 250) Can shoot POA. to there comfortably. I am thinking 500-600 yds. max. at Southeast GA deer size targets (up to 150#) I don't really like a .270 (not enough bullet selection) .308 is anemic from a trajectory standpoint IMHO. What say you guys?

what boltface does it have? Since it is a LA I am assuming that it has a magnum or .308 bolt face. If it is a 308 how about a 6.5/06AI? If a mangum boltface how about a 264 win mag? I do not think that the HS stock is going to work w/o a bunch of hassle.

it is currently in dirty 06. What stock might you suggest? Is the in-letting that different between the two. I have never had a 788 out of the stock. Don't see too many of them. Only 2 in seven years. The current stock is pretty rough. I may can get by with it but it would take a PILE of work. I haven't yet looked for an after market. Surely someone makes one.

About all you can do is try it and see. I do not have a 788 around to say for sure, but expect that the bolt spacing would be different but may be way off base.......BTW if it doesnt work and you want to part with the LA HS stock let me know, I am hunting one right now. My own selfish reasons may have influenced my tongue in cheek response earlier.:confused:

no worries friend. I will let you know if I decide to part with it. I have to get a hold of that 788 first to measure the spacing.

it is currently in dirty 06.

788 Remingtons were not made in any long action calibers. Longest was 308 or 6mm.

Model 788
Description: Moderately priced, bolt action rifle commonly referred to as "Remington's budget tackdriver".
Introduction Year:
Year Discontinued:
Total Production: Approximately 565,000
Designer/Inventor:
Wayne Leek
Action Type:
Bolt action
Caliber/Gauge:

.222 Rem. – 1967 – 1980, 1982
.223 Rem. – 1975
.22-250 Rem. – 1967
.243 Win. 1968; w/ 18 ½" barrel 1980
6mm. Rem. – 1969 – 1980
6mm. Rem. Left Hand – 1969 – 1980
7mm-08 Rem. – 1980 w/ 18 ½" barrel
.308 Win. – 1969
.308 Win. Left Hand – 1969 – 1980; w/ 18 ½" barrel 1980
.30-30 Win. – 1967 – 1970
.44 Rem. Mag. – 1967 – 1970

-------------------------------------------------------
Maybe it is a Remington 78. The 78 is the 700 ADL action in a cheaper stock. It was available in long and short action.

spacer.gif
Model 78 Sportsman
Description: Bolt Action Rifle
Introduction Year:
Year Discontinued: 1988
Total Production: N/A
Designer/Inventor:
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans serif] Research & Development[/FONT]
Action Type:
Bolt Action
Caliber/Gauge:
.223 Remington, .243 Win, .308 Win, .270 Win, .30-06

http://www.remington.com/library/history/firearm_models/

Bruce

Last edited:
Bruce you are correct it is a Sportsman 78. Thanks. It is in 30/06. I guess that solves the stock issue eh?

I have 78's in long and short actions. They fit perfectly in 700 ADL stocks, or in BDL stocks with magazine changed to BDL pieces.

Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.