.03-06 lrx

Timbersquatch

has anyone tried the 200 grain barnes lrx for a .03-06? And if so what kind of accuracy results were you getting? Also what powder, primer, casing, and powder charge, worked for you? I think H4350 will be my powder choice. My barrel length is 24in with a 1:10 twist. Any info would be great!

A 30 cal 200 gr LRX is a "long" bullet. I would guess for best accuracy it would need to be pushed as fast as possible. Might be right on the border line in an 1/10 twist 06 , even with a 24" Bbl. Might need a little slower powder than 4350 to gain safe max velocity.

A 200 makes an 06 on the tired side. Look at the 178 absolute hammer to wake it up. Also the 168 bulldozer.
Depends what tired looks like. 225 elds in my 300 win might make it look tired but those big drowsy bullets sure outperform the lighter, zippier pills at any distance.
The 30-06 with the 208 AMAX is a beast, assuming the eld would be the same.

Depends what tired looks like. 225 elds in my 300 win might make it look tired but those big drowsy bullets sure outperform the lighter, zippier pills at any distance.
The 30-06 with the 208 AMAX is a beast, assuming the eld would be the same.
06 is no 300 mag. Like comparing a 300 weatherby to a 338 winmag.

I was hunting west of Augusta , MT. We were on the front hoping for cold and snow to push some elk out. 55 degrees. Nice camping trip in November. My friend and I got bored one afternoon. Lots of rocks across the canyon. We ranged a rock at 605 yards. I knew the post of my leupold duplex was right for 4 feet at 600. Custom 300 weatherby doing 3150 with a 200 nosler partition. Held and whack. Later I tried my 338 win with 250,s. It was like shooting a 45/70 compared to the 300. So basically the same as an 06 with a 200. By the way a 3x9 leupold. I have a friend who is an outfitter at Augusta. Runs 80 to 90 hunters a year. They all show up with big guns and dial scopes. He says the majority can,t hit the inside of a barn. Many think they can spend money and cover up not being a rifleman. Doesn,t work that way. Trigger time.

06 is no 300 mag. Like comparing a 300 weatherby to a 338 winmag.
Oh i didn't intend to equate the 30-06 with the 300 win. But with a bullet 25 grains lighter it's not gonna be too much slower. I'd be surprised if the old 06 could easily get those 200s at or over 2600 FPS. Not a laser beam or anything but not at all
sluggish and it catches up with the light fast ones. People for whatever reason act like if a cartridge isn't exceeding 2800-3000 FPS you might as well
Be throwing sharp sticks at critters (or be using a 45-70 :) )

lol. I haven,t shot hem in an 06 but I did shoot the 178 absolute hammers in a 300 prc I put together with a 26 inch hart. 3350 which is 200 feet faster than a regular 180. So I am thinking about 2950 in an 06. The coefficient isn,t that great at about 450G1 but you would have to shoot far before the heavy bullet would catch it. And it would not be near as as flat to 500. The heavy I mean. And how would it act on the animal? I prefer bullets that punch through.

lol. I haven,t shot hem in an 06 but I did shoot the 178 absolute hammers in a 300 prc I put together with a 26 inch hart. 3350 which is 200 feet faster than a regular 180. So I am thinking about 2950 in an 06. The coefficient isn,t that great at about 450G1 but you would have to shoot far before the heavy bullet would catch it. And it would not be near as as flat to 500. The heavy I mean. And how would it act on the animal? I prefer bullets that punch through.
That's pretty impressive velocity numbers there...it seems that in a few peoples experience so far those absolute hammers actually do what their maker says they do which is good to see (and a bit refreshing in a world of spin advertising, false claims, and inflated figures)

I was hunting west of Augusta , MT. We were on the front hoping for cold and snow to push some elk out. 55 degrees. Nice camping trip in November. My friend and I got bored one afternoon. Lots of rocks across the canyon. We ranged a rock at 605 yards. I knew the post of my leupold duplex was right for 4 feet at 600. Custom 300 weatherby doing 3150 with a 200 nosler partition. Held and whack. Later I tried my 338 win with 250,s. It was like shooting a 45/70 compared to the 300. So basically the same as an 06 with a 200. By the way a 3x9 leupold. I have a friend who is an outfitter at Augusta. Runs 80 to 90 hunters a year. They all show up with big guns and dial scopes. He says the majority can,t hit the inside of a barn. Many think they can spend money and cover up not being a rifleman. Doesn,t work that way. Trigger time.
Besides you never know what range you're going to be shooting at. You may be good to shoot out to 600 yards but may only get the opportunity to shoot at 115. just be prepared. try the 175 Lrx. It's got an OK BC and it will kill

Oh i didn't intend to equate the 30-06 with the 300 win. But with a bullet 25 grains lighter it's not gonna be too much slower. I'd be surprised if the old 06 could easily get those 200s at or over 2600 FPS. Not a laser beam or anything but not at all
sluggish and it catches up with the light fast ones. People for whatever reason act like if a cartridge isn't exceeding 2800-3000 FPS you might as well
Be throwing sharp sticks at critters (or be using a 45-70 :) )
I think I've read that the LRX has a lower expansion velocity threshold but my best results with Barnes bullets in here real is that they perform better when shot light for caliber and driven to higher velocity. Otherwise blood trails have been sparse and they run a long way.
2600fps is sloooowwww in my opinion and won't have great trajectory or wind drift properties.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.