Anybody 175gr LRX 30/06?

JOHNNIE WALKER

Have any of you ever used the Barnes 175gr LRX in a 30/06? I'm was just curious if anybody had any experience with this bullet. I'm starting to put another elk hunt together. It'll be with a rifle this time. Planning on digging the old 30/06 out of the safe. Needing to start working on a good load. I'm also considering the 180gr Accubond, but all copper bullets are really starting to fascinate me.

I've got one at about 2775 FPS out of a 22" barrel.

Win brass
55.5 gr H4350
CCI 200

They are seated pretty deep with a good jump to the lands.
Isn't high preesure in mine.
Work it up though.

I've got some IMR 4350 I was going to play with. What kind of accuracy are you getting at 2775fps? Have you put one in an animal?

Accuracy is good. Better than 1/2 minute with cold bore and three shot group.

Did some cold clean bore/ group work and it shot very consistent. Very predictable. I think it is the rifle though. It shoots most loads pretty good.

I have not used it on any game yet. Just got it worked up last spring in anticipation of he all copper California.

57.5 gr of superformance and I get about 2900 with it. 26" barrel. I have a high wall Browning woth tons of free bore so i need longer bullets that will still stabilize in a 1:12. Shoots the same velocity at 40 degrees as it does 80 for me.

Shot a deer in idaho on the last day. Was broadside but up at a steep angle. 320 yds. Bullet went through with a consistent wound channel. Picture is of the exit. Entrance was almost identical to the exit. Caught a little heart and both lungs.

Attachments

• 20151024_085706.jpg
    20151024_085706.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 291
That was the kind of response I was hoping for. Shooting paper, and killing game, are two totally different things. I have a very limited amount of experience with all copper bullets. I shot an elk back in September with an all copper bullet (Thor) out of my muzzloader, and couldn't believe the performance it gave. That's what got me interested.
As far as internal damage, was there a fare amount of damage to the vitals? Are you confident in this bullet? Would you in any way hesitate to use it again?

I have used IMR 4350 for 30 years in my 30-06. But before that I used
IMR 4895 with good scores of deer to my credit. I bet 48.0 of IMR 4895 in WW Brass with the 175gr in the 30-06 would be excellent.

Last edited:
Have used the 175lrx quite a bit in my 30.06. Elk,moose, deer, bears. Small hole in, small hole out ....big ole mess in between. Never had a critter go more than 40 yds. RL 17 works well for me, hunting load is 2852fps in a 24" tube.

For those of you who have used them on game (I have not) based on my 30-06 set up. What ranges/impact velocity are you seeing good results?

I have a smokin load with my 300 wm with them and would be more confident with it for velocity at range.

I have always used 200 fps over manufacturers claims, paired with 1000 ft/lbs with barnes and had stellar repeatable performance. So with the 175 lrx, however far your load will hold 1800 fps AND 1000ft/lbs, you'll be good to go even if you dont hit bone.
As an example....the 175lrx@3000fps, i would have no concerns out to 700 yds as thats where it hits 1800 fps. If you can be sure of hitting bone they will work beyond that though.

Jmo
Chris

Last edited: