820 Yard cow elk pics

I'm new here so I have stayed out of this issue with respect to your 820 yard shot. I have learned a lot from reading these forums and truly appreciate all the info I have retained in just a few short weeks. I just spent an hour reading the AR Forum and it is obvious there are several who don't agree with the concept of LR hunting. Being brand new to the forum, I don't yet have strong loyalities, but the information I have read hear indicates to me a high degree of both morality and skill. I would venture to say that a lot more animals are lost, per capita, by close shots than LR shots as described on this forum, but only because of the level of expertise involved by the shooters. If I had a nickle for every "he got away" story I have heard, at even under 50 yards, I could buy that new Night Force scope I would like to have. I don't like to play God and pass judgement. But, the information provided here, if coupled with practice and good judgement.....which I think comes from the whole process....leads to more humane hunting....and is a good thing. I am a peace maker by heart and hope we can all focus on the facts, suggestions, information, and encouragement to be better and more humane hunters, and your posted information on LR topics has done that for me. Keep it coming, and thanks again....for they shall inherit the earth. P.S. Excellent shot. It sounds to me like you have your act together and know your stuff. Sounds like you waited for the right conditions...no different than waiting for the buck to get out from behind the brush at 25 yards. Or, waiting for the doe at 10 yards to point something other that her rear end your way. Well done Mister Good Grouper.

Goodgrouper,

I can't beleive the people that have to give you flack over something they you have worked very hard at. Keep on striving for perfection!

I got invited on a elk hunt a couple years back with some friends. Their son was a hunting/shooting expert (just ask him). I got him into shooting almost every week during the summer months with me. I am shooting a 338RUM and shot 20-25 rounds a week from field positions. The gun club has a 300 yd range.
On day 6 of our hunt, there are 20 elk in front of us including 3 bulls. The plan was simple, lets get a double.I shot my 5 pt at 350 yds w/ 1 shot dropped him in his tracks. The "son" never shot because he: 1. didn't think they were legal, 2. scope fogged up (Tasco) 3. didn't have a clear shot. Then he was ****ed because when he asked me why I didn't shoot a second bull, I told him that I got my bull.
The moral of the story is that I spent 9 months in preperation for my shot and had 100% confidence when I pulled the trigger. The "son" was envious of my shooting skills and acted like a jerk towards me.
Sound kinda familar???

Congratulations again to you. Job well done.

Regards,

JD338

Grouper,
You are young and keen. You have the knowledge and skill to do what many individuals who call themselves hunters cannot do. Very few hunters will ever know how it feels to have the confidence to use your personal skills and the potential of your equipment out at the ranges we hunt to. We are not throwing "hail Mary's" like they assume since they do not know what is involved in obtaining the ability to shoot long. Your dedication to the challenge of long range shooting gives you the confidence to make one shot kills and we all appreciate your sharing. (I wish you lived in our city, I could learn from a keener like you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

By the way, I don't think that guy deserves a nuke-job, let's give him the benefit of the doubt. If he did, Dave or I would have done the deed. Maybe he will read our stuff and learn that there is a lot more to long range hunting than just pulling a trigger.

We did not start this site to puff up our egos, or do the mine is bigger than yours thing. We want to share info about our sport. You and Danny Lilja said it well - let's leave it at that.

Time to move on - did I mention I am going to be shooting a GA Precision .325 WSM and a 6.5-284 for long range hunting this year...

goodgrouper

I am fairly new to the forum (a couple of months). First I would like to congradulate you on the supurb shot. As I have mentioned in other posts I recently ordered a Rem 700P in 300 rum, and I don't quite have the experience to set it it up properly, but working on it. I haven't checked out many other forums mainly because of the trash-talking on them other than this one nosler has a decent forum, but not many shooters of this caliber. Again great shooting.

Its strange to see people baggin his shot when there are people over on Wildcathunting.com taking elk at over a 1000yrds.

GG well done buddy and keep any pics coming (from future hunts).

Thanks all you guys for your posts. I haven't checked this thread for awhile becuase I've been turning the necks on 6br and .338 Lapua brass, and it was quite a chore.

Bryan, what is the website address for the nosler forum? Supposedly, John Nosler is putting my pics on there and I would like to check it out!
Thanks again.

So GG, How does it feel to go from irresponsable bullet lobber to long range guru in a week and a half?

Well, according to some, I'm still an irresponsible bullet launcher who just got lucky!

What I think is funny is that I've shot critters almost double the distance of that cow but there was not near as much hub bub about them. People must really love elk stories!

I think my very first post on this forum was a story about my doe antelope hunt last fall where I shot her at 1030 yards with my 6.5-.284. It faded off the first page in about 3 days, and the cow elk has been an active topic for 1 month! Doe antelope must not be as cool to look at as cow elk, at least I think so!

I did a quick search and found it. I never saw it or at least I don't remember reading it. I think the posts with photos get much more attention.

Speaking of photos do you have pictures of the 1500 yard chuck or the antelope in VHA? Which issue?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.