cow elk@1203 yards

[ QUOTE ]
POP,

Here is your problem:
[ QUOTE ]
I assume

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that and you frequent a forum that you don't believe in and you don't follow it's rules.

As to the rest of your post, whatever. I have nothing else to say to a traitor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee-Gee:

The only time I used I assume is when I said that I assumed he aimed at the shoulder area.

Was I wrong? Or was he aiming at the head? Seems no one is willing to answer this question!!! Why? MAybe because this will give a lot of insight.

Secondly, as far as me being a traitor? Again poor choice of words! I never swore alligiance to your type of hunting (shooting actually) GG, so I am not a traitor.

Mr. Chawlston:
You do not have to apologise for me sir. I am just calling it as I see it. Nothing to apologise for. At all.

I am just appaulled that no one sees a foul here. I guess in long range hunting the end result justifies everything else huh? As long as we can stick a 4 digit number on our 8.5"x11" sheet of paper--which is now a prerequisite, along with our magic marker--for the obligatory picture!!!
No questions asked?
Either way the pooch was screwed on this shot. Surprised that there are so many hunters here no one wants to admit that except a few handfull. Everybody is just plain happy getting stroked by everybody else here for a job well done!

I guess denial is bliss! Fill that tag as far as possible and be stroked by your buddies no matter what the situation, I guess. Heck even if you miss the spot your shooting for! If it's done long range then you did it right!

And while we are on the subject let's get something straight! I do not condemn long range hunting. Every person has a definition of same and each one differs. For me 550-600 yards is my absolute max if---and only if-- I can not get any closer! Neither do I jump on each side of the fence! But for the life of me is there no one else that sees this as nothing more than a lucky shot. Head shot on elk at 1203 yards? And you guys see nothing wrong with that?

If the shot impacted behind the shoulder then I would have said nothing. Then and only then it is clearly a matter of ethics which as we all know its discussion is verbotten here. But the guy missed and you're all about to vote him hunter of the year!
And no , nobody is trying to convert nobody. Just pointing out facts.

Anyway I am done with this. No sense trying to reason here. Later.

Always interesting to see what people do with their last shred of dignity. Reminds me of the kid who got caught red-handed with his hand in the cookie jar and then says he wasn't hungry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It seems that the shot that was taken by me with GG'S .338 Thunder has created a bit of controversy.What is this forem about?If you have the right equipement and the ability to do it why not? the conditions were perfect if the wind or other weather conditions were not I wouldn't have taken the shot.It is not that I haven't shot at long range before. Two years ago I got in the 1K club on rock chucks. The first one at 1076yds and the second at 1202yds.Most of my hunting has been in the west and seldom had shots under 250yds. The closest was a bull elk five years ago in the timber at about 90 yds. **** near shot over the beast as the 300win was sighted for zero at 300yds.If you have the right equipement and ability and condtions the the etheical question is up to you.
Old Bear

I agree with BB, and am not questioning any ethics.

just wondering if old bear was aiming at the head or shoulder? would be interesting to know either way.

thanks and great story, thanks for sharing. I love coming on here and reading about peoples kills, so please continue to share. nice work old bear.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
POP,

Here is your problem:
[ QUOTE ]
I assume

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that and you frequent a forum that you don't believe in and you don't follow it's rules.

As to the rest of your post, whatever. I have nothing else to say to a traitor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee-Gee:

The only time I used I assume is when I said that I assumed he aimed at the shoulder area.

Was I wrong? Or was he aiming at the head? Seems no one is willing to answer this question!!! Why? MAybe because this will give a lot of insight.

Secondly, as far as me being a traitor? Again poor choice of words! I never swore alligiance to your type of hunting (shooting actually) GG, so I am not a traitor.

Mr. Chawlston:
You do not have to apologise for me sir. I am just calling it as I see it. Nothing to apologise for. At all.

I am just appaulled that no one sees a foul here. I guess in long range hunting the end result justifies everything else huh? As long as we can stick a 4 digit number on our 8.5"x11" sheet of paper--which is now a prerequisite, along with our magic marker--for the obligatory picture!!!
No questions asked?
Either way the pooch was screwed on this shot. Surprised that there are so many hunters here no one wants to admit that except a few handfull. Everybody is just plain happy getting stroked by everybody else here for a job well done!

I guess denial is bliss! Fill that tag as far as possible and be stroked by your buddies no matter what the situation, I guess. Heck even if you miss the spot your shooting for! If it's done long range then you did it right!

And while we are on the subject let's get something straight! I do not condemn long range hunting. Every person has a definition of same and each one differs. For me 550-600 yards is my absolute max if---and only if-- I can not get any closer! Neither do I jump on each side of the fence! But for the life of me is there no one else that sees this as nothing more than a lucky shot. Head shot on elk at 1203 yards? And you guys see nothing wrong with that?

If the shot impacted behind the shoulder then I would have said nothing. Then and only then it is clearly a matter of ethics which as we all know its discussion is verbotten here. But the guy missed and you're all about to vote him hunter of the year!
And no , nobody is trying to convert nobody. Just pointing out facts.

Anyway I am done with this. No sense trying to reason here. Later.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is crazy. As long as the animal is hit behind the front shoulder you are okay with it??????? So, if he WAS aiming at the head and hit the shoulder, you would have no problem with the shot and kill correct? Boy talk about consistency........ Or the lack of it.

James

I don't say much on these boards at all but the bashing of old bears shot actually annoys me... he made a great shot and sounds like he had a great experience during the hunt...
One point that i have to make is that the animal is dead (no longer breathing), where he meant to place the bullet and where it actually went in this case is not an issue to debate the animal is already dead and in his freezer also it died quickly for all you bleeding hearts out there, alot quicker than a chest shot...
In my opinion from what old bear and others on this post have said about his shooting ability leads me to believe that indeed he was actually aiming at the head not at the heart and lungs... i know that 1203 yrds is a long shot but to be aiming at the elks chest area and hit its head is a very lucky shot if he missed... remember an elk is not a deer so its head would be around three feet away from the "classic" spot to shoot game as well as possibly higher or lower than a lung shot... The second point that i would like to make is that if the animal was hit in the jaw do you really think it would still be up running around??? chances are it wouldn't be... have you ever been hit in the jaw it hurts like hell doesn't it, now have you been knocked out??? you can't really do much when your knocked out.. so you figure bullet going around 2500 fps hitting an animal in the jaw wouldn't rattle it enough to knock it out for a little bit, chances are that it would even kill the animal just from the force of impact. Rattling something in the head is usually a bad thing...
On the other hand if you are not confident in making a shot out to 1203 yrds don't do it because most likely you would miss... old bear seems to be an accomplished long range hunter so don't bash on a good clean kill...
I have seen people miss at much closer distances than 1203yrds, I have actually seen people mortally wound an animal at 25yrds and not be able to find the kill until the birds have found it the next day.
I myself am not comfortable at shooting anything over 500yrds but i haven't practiced anything further than that so i will not take a shot over that distance, I am actually amazed at the shots that some of the people on these boards take, and from what i have read the majority have been clean kills..

[ QUOTE ]
I don't say much on these boards at all but the bashing of old bears shot actually annoys me... he made a great shot and sounds like he had a great experience during the hunt...
One point that i have to make is that the animal is dead (no longer breathing), where he meant to place the bullet and where it actually went in this case is not an issue to debate the animal is already dead and in his freezer also it died quickly for all you bleeding hearts out there, alot quicker than a chest shot...
In my opinion from what old bear and others on this post have said about his shooting ability leads me to believe that indeed he was actually aiming at the head not at the heart and lungs... i know that 1203 yrds is a long shot but to be aiming at the elks chest area and hit its head is a very lucky shot if he missed... remember an elk is not a deer so its head would be around three feet away from the "classic" spot to shoot game as well as possibly higher or lower than a lung shot... The second point that i would like to make is that if the animal was hit in the jaw do you really think it would still be up running around??? chances are it wouldn't be... have you ever been hit in the jaw it hurts like hell doesn't it, now have you been knocked out??? you can't really do much when your knocked out.. so you figure bullet going around 2500 fps hitting an animal in the jaw wouldn't rattle it enough to knock it out for a little bit, chances are that it would even kill the animal just from the force of impact. Rattling something in the head is usually a bad thing...
On the other hand if you are not confident in making a shot out to 1203 yrds don't do it because most likely you would miss... old bear seems to be an accomplished long range hunter so don't bash on a good clean kill...
I have seen people miss at much closer distances than 1203yrds, I have actually seen people mortally wound an animal at 25yrds and not be able to find the kill until the birds have found it the next day.
I myself am not comfortable at shooting anything over 500yrds but i haven't practiced anything further than that so i will not take a shot over that distance, I am actually amazed at the shots that some of the people on these boards take, and from what i have read the majority have been clean kills..

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed the point......... I don't care where he aimed or hit. As long as he enjoyed applying his skill to a hunt more power to him.

My previous post was aimed at those who think that if the elk was shot in the shoulder it is okay and if shot in the head it was a miss. This is an inconsistent position and that was the point of my previous post. I support the Big Bear and his guide.

James

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care where he aimed or hit. As long as he enjoyed applying his skill to a hunt more power to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I agree.

I never even asked him where he aimed because all I saw was an elk sliding down the mountain that was obviously dead. So I laced up my boots and went and got it out. A dead elk is a dead elk. He didn't miss. His target was an elk and his target was killed. And the best of all, the whole thing is on video so I can watch it over and over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

<font color="blue">With respect to everyone, don't you think this has been beaten to death?

GG is it possible to get a copy of the video? It would be awesome to see.</font>

Well said Old Bear, And quite restrained under the circumstances !!!

GG brought over the video a few days ago and we enjoyed watching You and the Thunder harvest the Elk. The big smile and hoopin' and hollerin' were priceless.!!!!---7mmRHB

I just reviewed al the threaded post relating to this hunt,WOW!!!
To all that are interested this was a team effort with many trips in the general area.most of the time the conditions were bad,lion hunters with dogs spooking the elk up into the clouds,foot hunters moving into the area wounding and leaving a cow not a real effort to recover. I would liked to have shot with my .300 Win mag but it only has a 4.5x14 leupold a bit of a streach at the longer ranges.The load for this one would have done the job but not the optics. For any interested 180Gr Sirocco in match preped fed.cases fed GM215 primer 84 gr IRECO 85 ball powder, chrno at 3265fps 60DegF. Pressure tested at Barnes at 59500psi, sami spec is 64000 psi.
I am sorry that some folks were up set about the head shot( about the size of a big fat chuck).But that is my lucky shot of the day the neck doesn't have any tender meat either.My other long shot was 2 years ago on chucks with my 25-06 KM77vt Ruger 6.5x25x50 Leupold #1 was 1076yds on the #4 shot,#2 was at 1202yds.Very exiciting!!! For any that are interested the load was match preped LC69 National Match brass necked down, fed GM215 primer 58.5 gr VHIT N165 with a moly coated Berger 115VLD @ 3200fps.( safe in my gun) not a recomended load in any manual!!!
I do appreciate al the kind words and prayers from you guys for my recovery from the repair job on the right shoulder. As a point of interest my orthopedic doctor is a african big game hunter, you would love to see the Cape Bufflo heads in his office.
Old Bear

Good judgement come from experence, experence comes from bad judgement.

[ QUOTE ]
GG is it possible to get a copy of the video?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I am actually in the process of turning the 8mm tape into DVD format and will make a few copies while I'm at it. You're welcome to one.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.