946 yard cow elk pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
To everyone interested:

I believe Stripes summed it up quite well. Arguing is useless. There will always be naysayers and hecklers that show their ignorance every time they post. It does no good to argue with them. There are a few that lie in wait for me to type something and then criticize just for the sake of criticizing. With these kinds of people, nothing I type will please them. They are bound and determined to find fault in whatever I do and then dangle it out like bait for an argument. I believe the word is "troll".

Well, for those of you who aren't like that, I appreciate you and will continue to teach and help where I can and share some fun hunting stories along the way. Longshot30-378, I think that was the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a month! Thank you. You are why I share my stories my friend.

For those of you who are trolling, I will not take the bait. I will keep doing what I enjoy and nothing you say or do will stop me. Period. If you don't like it, don't read my posts. Pretty simple.

Now for Matt 27:
You seemed to ask a fair question though your tone of voice leads me to believe that you may already have your mind made up before you hear the answer so I'm somewhat hesitant to answer your question for fear that this is just another piece of cheese.

I will answer your question, but remember, once bitten twice shy.

As I said, the computer gave me a correction based off of my input. However, the computer does not calculate for gyroscopic drift, or more than one wind vector. This calculation must come from the shooter or spotter. With a slight wind blowing from the right, it would offset some of the gyro drift. After looking through my spotter, I detected a slight variation in mirage that told me the wind was not the same out there as it was where we were. I studied it for a minute and chose to only go 1/2 moa instead of the full 1 moa. Since the elk we were shooting at was on the far right of the herd, I figured if I guessed the conditions incorrectly it would just land off to the right in the snow and not hit any other elk. In other words, it was better to error to the right than to the left. As it turned out, the bullet did go right more than I anticipated (or wanted) but hit on the forward edge of the hip which only put it what appeared to be about 12-16" back from the shoulder where I told Clint to put it <font color="red">becuase the elk WAS NOT bedded down stretched out. </font> <font color="blue">She was CURLED up and at a slight angle. </font> Now you see that Clint, being an above average shooter, managed to shoot 3 shots into about a 12" group! That is barely over 1 moa at over a half mile! We just needed that group to come to the left a tad and it did. So, your math was correct, but you assumed the rest. As it turned out, Clint did have to adjust more than what the computer said to put the final shot into the kill zone.

Remember, you don't have to shoot long range to be a good shooter. I know several 100 yard BR shooters who never shoot beyond 300 yards who are astounding marksmen and know more about the wind than you and I combined. And with the gun being rested solidly in the varmint rest, Clint really only had to have good techinque, pull the trigger and trust what I told him. He did all three. HIs bench technique was flawless and he corrected for the shot as quickly as I could of myself.

Now, before the hecklers have a go at this, just realize this. I am leaving for an elk hunt tomorrow and will be gone a full week so your bait will undoubtedly not be taken.

Good shooting and happy hunting to all!

GG,

GOOD LUCK on your hunt. I am looking forward to reading your story.

Regards,

JD338

To all

You seem to forget what GG said. "he wanted to show Clint the proper way to hunt long range"

Now read his response to me. He wasn't sure of the shot. As alot of you are saying ,if you aren't sure then you wouldn't take the shot. Kinda an oxymoron.

I like the troll aspect. GG Look at my profile and see who's been around longer. I have seen people come and go on this forum. Some very experienced people. I don't post much because any questions i have have been answered already or on another forum.

Guess i might as well "troll" too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Q's for your return...

How, and at what distance have you seen the results of actual spin drift? And what is the value you found?

Has Clint ever shot the rifle in question at or near the distance the elk was "taken" at?

JB

Well in that case, and you are right I went back and looked it up, I would definantly say that he proabbly didnt have any place taking the shot. That is only my opinion and the only reason I voiced it was because I wanted to answer you Matt27.

I do think you should only shoot at ranges "close" to what you have practiced. Not 550yds past you longest shot ever.

With that said I am moving on to greener pastures. I am heading out this weekend to try and kill a 1 mile pdog so my mind will no longer be on this topic.

I will tell GG I did like the pics though, that is some beautiful country.

Like i said before this is only my opinion and it aint worth sh!t. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

take it easy
steve

Here's my theory...FWIW:

"If a shooter cannot keep all his shots within a 10" diameter kill zone or within 5" from where he's holding.... from 1000 yds., under ALL CONDITIONS, the shot shouldn't be taken!!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RMulhern,
FWIW, dont ever pull the trigger at any range until, you pull your head out and get a grasp on reality.
GOOD LUCK
UB

Cant' wait to read "Had a closer shot but hiked back 1 mile and blew legs off the elk until i connected"

What a joke. No wonder the anti's have a hayday.

seems like everyone is having a hayday here

maybe its time to move on to better topics and let some good info flow,

cant really see how we can draw anymore good info out of just bad mouthing people all day long.

Not a knock on you Matt, seems like everyone is going down this road

later
steve

[ QUOTE ]
Here's my theory...FWIW:

"If a shooter cannot keep all his shots within a 10" diameter kill zone or within 5" from where he's holding.... from 1000 yds., under ALL CONDITIONS, the shot shouldn't be taken!!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

An elk is a bigger target, but this sounds about right for a deer, doesn't it? An errant flyer happens occasionally, but shouldn't be a big fraction of those tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts