946 yard cow elk pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
[ QUOTE ]
My point is.....neither you, me nor anybody else on this board can claim that we hunt because that is the only way we have to survive.......and you can't use that to justify what you want to do.......you know it and I know it......so don't act all offended when somebody raises the BS flag at that nonsense.

[/ QUOTE ]

And my point is this:
<font color="blue">There ARE people who hunt for food only out there as I have SEEN AND TALKED TO THEM so I know they are real. Did it ever occur to you that these are also the people who probably CAN"T AFFORD a computer or internet dues so they could come on here and raise their hand in their defense?! </font> Now, this is beside the point. My point was (as 4ked horn pointed out clearly) that we cannot control 100% of our hunts just as lions and coyotes cannot control thier hunts either. As Lerch stated, "SH!T happens! And it happens to all predators.

<font color="red">Websters dictionary:
PRedator: n. one that preys, destroys, or devours.
Predation: n. a mode of life in which food is primarily obtained by the killing and consuming of animals. </font>
END QUOTE

I am a predator. You are a predator. We are all predators according to Webster and hunts do not always turn out as planned for us. If you want to say that I'm full of b.s. for pointing out this fact, then you can and that will be your misunderstanding.

And another thing Gonhuntin, I realize you never had any qualms about the method of hunting in this story. I never responded to you like I was defending long range hunting. I know we are both in agreement on this topic and someone else misread or misinterpreted what you said.

Lablover,

I side with Eaglet on this one. Do you know which forum you are visiting? This is LONG RANGE HUNTING. We discuss and delight in the long range shot.

If you had read my post more closely, you would have been able to answer your own question. <font color="blue">NO, WE COULDN'T GET CLOSER. </font> Where the elk had been hanging out was in a defensive spot and with crunchy snow on the ground, we would have spooked them to get closer and that is why Clint asked for my help. Please stop trying to make me look like a bad guy for doing what this forum is all about! I am not mad at you or flaming you, I just shouldn't have to defend my long range hunting on Long Range Hunting.com. Wouldn't you agree?

[ QUOTE ]
would of tried to get closer if I was not 100% sure my Friend could make the shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clint is a cool customer and never bobbled. He finished the kill in fine fashion and recovered nicely from a botched first shot which I CLEARLY CLAIMED AS MY FAULT,NOT HIS!

[ QUOTE ]
Lets not forget that taking game should be ethical too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely! Ethics were never left out on this one and that is all I will say about it lest I get booted (we're not supposed to debate ethics remember?) I had confidence that the outcome would be good.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the cow suffered a bit maybe...Do you think the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely not!! I have video if you care to watch it. You will see that the whole thing lasted less than two minutes and that is quicker and cleaner than any lion kill by a fair margin and is quicker than most archery kills. We hustled to ensure as quick a kill as we could manage.

[ QUOTE ]
I also noticed you said after the seconed shot (the really first shot that hit her) That she "STOOD UP" So she was bedded when ya shot her? I'm new to this but my Daddy always told me to NEVER shoot a bedded animal

[/ QUOTE ]

That may or may not be true for a heart/lung shooter. I on the other hand am a shoulder shooter and there is probably no better time to take this shot than when they are laying down. THe whole blade is exposed and the muscles are not tensed up. It works beautifully. The cow I shot last January at 820 yards was shot in her bed and never got up out of it. Very clean and very quick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I would have trouble sleeping after that one

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me. After all that work, I slept like a baby way into the next morning! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jeffbird,

I think you are worrying too much about the "what if's" instead of the "what are's".

The are's are these:
The elk is dead.
The elk didn't suffer for long.
The meat is going to a humble family who needs it.
We both learned something and extended our skills that day.

Don't give up on what you haven't really started yet. There are many stories of LRH here that are better. I have a terrible quality of telling the story like it is with no b.s. or sugar coatings. Everything gets reported as it happened. I just don't feel right about saying, "yeah we killed an elk today first shot and it died in .02 nanoseconds and the fairy elk mothers came down from heaven and gave her her wings." It just ain't me. People who have been here awhile know that I am a pretty straight up individual and I call it like I see it.

Don't be too unsettled. This is a great way to hunt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I was doggin GG because he should of known his friends limits. Using a stock gun...Come on! He spends big bucks to make sure he's got a rig that can do the job at 1000 but then lets his buddy use a stock gun? Why spend so much on a custom rig then??

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I'm getting bombed for using a gun that has taken over 1 dozen big game animals past the 700 yard marker?! Come on Lablover, do you really think I would have set up my friend with a bogus gun to bring home the meat for his family for the winter? THis gun is awesome! And it just happens to be stock! SO WHAT!? It worked didn't it? It is the same gun I use for ALL my big game hunting including my 820 yard cow elk last winter. I have plenty of custom guns, yes, but they are all too **** heavy to be packing around in snowy mountians. You are starting to sound like RH. I had you pegged as a much higher quality individual than that!

[ QUOTE ]
All I'm saying is I would not of taken the shot unless I had all the confidence in the world I could.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did. SOmetimes my confidence comes off like being cocky and I can assure you that I'm not. I had to play like I was overconfident on this one a tad so that Clint would be confident as well. You know how that goes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ATH,

I respect you and I understood your question. I hope I answered it in a satisfactory manner. You possess the qualities LR hunters need to have before they ever set foot in the field with the intent of taking a long range critter.

<font color="red"> DOn't attempt in the field what you can't prove at the range. </font>

<font color="red">Ask questions and aquire as much knowledge as you can. </font>

<font color="red"> Listen to the successes AND failures of others with an open mind and learn from them. </font>

These are three things that have helped me most. Now, when I'm in the field, I have confidence in what I can do, and I have learned what I shouldn't attempt. This hunt felt good, and I felt pretty confident that with CLint's abilities, my equipment, and my coaching, we had a pretty good chance to put meat in the freezer.

Good luck to you in all your hunting adventures, and thanks for being non-hostile in your manner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

To Clint,

I promised you a new and exiting forum that has excellent posters and doesn't behave like most other forums if you wanted to login on it. Well, it is still the best forum around and you shouldn't take this as a bashing session. We all have our opinions here and we voice them in a grown up matter usually quite well. That's not to say that we sometimes don't have a train wreck now and then. I hope you stick around and read on. And congrats again on your first long range poke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GoodGrouper:
I would like to say thank you as a new LRH for the Story and pics of your hunt with friend Clint. As i sat here and read the story I could almost hear the gun crack! I did'nt get to hunt LR this year with my Dad and his friend in Pa.and i've been waiting to read such a story to help me get past the withdrawls off not getting a shot off. This is my 1st post on here although i have been reading the awesome material you guys have been posting for the past 2 months ,,taking in as much as my somewhat spent mind can handle.(boy do i ever have alot to learn) I got my 1st taste of LRH 3 years ago and although i never got a shot off i was hooked forever &amp; it's stories like yours that give me the strength to take my tail to work everyday so that one day i can possibly enjoy such an experience.

I have a question about these poor people.
Do they have 3500 dollar rigs, 600 dollar laser ranger finders, 100 plus dollar ballistic programs, 200 dollar pda's, and all the other gear it requires to shoot precision long range? More likely they have some cheap rifle, a *** vehicle, and not much of anything else. You cant lump nature into poor humans hunting and expect the same results.
If so they are spending their money unwisely as all of that can by a truck load full of beef for their starving kids and family.
Factory rifle, 946 yards, two shots in the arse, one shot in the shoulder. That aint precision long range shooting, thats target pratice at the animals expense plain and simple.

I'm thinking we're getting close to being done with the productive discussions on this thread, let's not let it degrade.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question about these poor people.
Do they have 3500 dollar rigs, 600 dollar laser ranger finders, 100 plus dollar ballistic programs, 200 dollar pda's, and all the other gear it requires to shoot precision long range? More likely they have some cheap rifle, a *** vehicle, and not much of anything else. You cant lump nature into poor humans hunting and expect the same results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Daveosok!

And thank you Dave King for allowing the discussion!!

GG..In a real debate with an educated anti-hunter.......you would have been chewed up, spit out and looked like a fool for saying what you did!

When I first called you on your "predator" explanation/excuse, you had the opportunity to set me straight and explain what you meant.....instead, you chose to be offended and offered the lame "I'm sure glad you are rich and can eat what you want" BS......and then the "I know poor people who have to hunt" story.......neither one of which had anything to do with what either of us said.......so let's keep it real and tell the truth about hunting.......yes, sometimes we do make mistakes.....and those mistakes result in wounded game......when that happens, we can't excuse it because "we are predators"....yes, the fact is, we are predators, but we, you, me and everybody else on this board, are NOT "in the same boat" as wild predators who have to kill to survive.....suggesting that we are is just not realistic and anybody can see through that excuse!

Dave My opinion is this post needs to be nuked in good taste. We do not need another non LRH board getting a hold of this post. Two in the hip and one in the chest is nothing to be proud of. Granted things like this can happen but we sure do not need to give anti LRH sites anymore ammo to use against us. Also for the people that are new here you have to put your time in. Granted ballistic programs can tell you where to dial in or hold but they do not teach you how to hold the rifle or trigger pull or how to control your breathing. Trigger time is the only thing that will teach you that. I could make a few comments to GG about even trying to have a marginal shooter try a shot like this but I do not feel like getting kicked off the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts