946 yard cow elk pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodgrouper

I had the great opportunity to help a co-worker and friend today with his late season cow elk hunt on the Mt. Nebo south unit in Utah. He mentioned to me yesterday that he had found a nice herd of elk at the top of the mountain, but that they were kinda spooky and wouldn't let anyone get within normal range of them. Last week, some boneheads were launching bullets at them offhand from over 1000 yards away and didn't even hike up to see if they had wounded anything. This clearly had the herd on edge so I decided to help my friend Clint put the elk in his freezer from long range the proper way.

We got to the glassing spot well before light which was 1767 yards from the top of a ridge where they had been hanging out. Right off the bat, I spotted 4 bulls munching away on a different ridge so we knew the elk were still in the area. As it continued to get lighter, a four wheeler and a truck pulled up to our spot and parked right along side of us! I just love it when they do that crap. We all sat glassing the mountain for awhile-me with my spotting scope and everyone else using cheap binos. Well, the good spotter paid off as Clint saw a dozen elk move over the ridge suddenly. I doubt the other guys ever saw them. We quietly packed up our gear into our packs and bid our road hunters farewell.

We hiked into the bottom of the canyon trying to be quiet on the crunchy snow. Then for about 300 yards, we had to belly crawl through scrub oak with the varmint rest and the gun, tripod, spotter, and gun on our backs. THis proved to be very difficult and time consuming.

By nine o clock we had hiked up to our shooting spot opposite the canyon from the elk. They were unaware we were there and bedded down right on top of a ridge.

We quietly set the varmint rest up and took a reading from the ACI, GPS, thermometer, and wind meter. ANgle=.94 cosine, gps=7200 feet, thermometer=34, and wind meter said 2 mph.

I punched in the numbers into Exball and it said go up 18.50 minutes and go left 1 minute. CLint dialed it up and I got the spotting scope and video camera going.

CLint took his time and fired. I watched the bullet's vapor trail go about 5 inches over the chosen cow's back. I told Clint to bring 'er down 1 minute and go 2 clicks left. Boom again. I watched the bullet fly right into her hip bone. SHe stood up and the rest of the herd was still bedded down wondering what that funny noise was. I told CLint to hold about 10 inches further left and fire. Boom! I watched the bullet fly right into the same spot almost. It was about 1 inch away from the last shot!

NOw the whole herd was up and wondering what was going on. Our cow was visibly wobbly and walked from the right side of the herd to the left side and stood there giving Clint a perfect broadside shot. I told CLint to hold about 6 inches in front of her chest and squeeze gently. BOOM! I watched the third bullet fly right into the front shoulder about 1/2 way up! PERFECT! She immediately crumpled her leg up and began stumbling down hill. SHe made it about 15 yards on three legs before she rolled over and slid down the hill a ways!

WHen she came to a stop, she kicked twice and then lay still on the edge of a 3 foot ledge. GAME OVER! CLint had just successfully pulled off the longest big game kill I have seen this year and bested his personal record by about 550 yards or so! <font color="red">WAY TO GO CLINT!! </font>

After a 3 hour hike over to the cow, we could see that CLint had indeed struck the shoulder in the exact place he was aiming for and that it had busted the blade and gone into the chest cavity pretty deeply.

The two of us pointed her downhill and let gravity take her to the bottom. ONce there, we found a small ravine and pulled her down it to where we had left our gear. We quartered her and found that the 180 grain Accubond had left a quarter sized hole through the front shoulder, through the front of the chest cavity slicing the top of the heart and continuing on into the far shoulder blade. It didn't brake the far shoulder but caused massive tissue damage. WHen CLint butchers that quarter, he should find the bullet and I will post a picture of it then.

ANyway, here is CLint's elk. We shot from the big, sloping ridge directly behind CLint and to his right.
clintselk.jpg

Here is a view from the top of the ridge. I circled where we parked CLint's truck which is where we spotted the elk from.
truckatendofroad.jpg

And here is a pretty pic of the country we were in before the snow storm set in! Idaho Preacher, that would be the cement plant you visit out there somewhere inbetween those two mountain ranges a little over halfway out into the picture! Cool view huh?
goodview.jpg

Thanks CLint for the awesome day and welcome to the newest longrange hunting club member! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Congradulations Clint!

Sounds like a good time, was he shooting your a-bolt?

I'm chasing some antlerless deer species as well right now, although it will take a few whitetail to equal the meat from that elk.

Looking forward to the bullet pics,
Carl

Yeah, he was shooting my bone stock Browning stainless stalker with the boss system. I have only just bedded it and tweaked the trigger and other than that, it is off the shelf.

I'll get that bullet pic here as soon as he finds it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Great story.....great photos!

One question......how many loads do you get out of your brass with that charge of Rel 22??

Looking at an Alliant chart......that load is well beyond hot.........

Once again you guys launch 'em and drop 'em. The three hour hike seems like a good bit of work to me. I would have opted for a short ATV ride but thats just me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the story and pictures. Congrats on the elk.

I was just looking at the 820 yard photos and noticed the date. I was wondering if you were going to have a 1k+ story for us this year.

Brace for the trash talkers coming in from other (inferior) forums. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well, I bought the gun in '96 and have put about 1200 rounds through it and I'm still on the original brass. I use Redding bushing neck dies and FL size only when I have to. THis puts minimum work-hardening on the brass.

The load is fairly hot but not unsafe at all. I can fire it year round. My throat is really worn now which lets gases by the bullet and reduces chamber pressures a tad too.

Gonna run a Tubb's final finish through her next month to try and smooth her out. My throat is so rough that my corrected bc for the 180 grain accubonds is .415 down from a published .507. I have to run the bullet at .415 to get it to match the trajectory. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks 4ked horn.

[ QUOTE ]
I was just looking at the 820 yard photos and noticed the date. I was wondering if you were going to have a 1k+ story for us this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this one was a bit short, but my cow elk tag is still going. We will work on it if conditions permit. All we need is 54 more yards!

[ QUOTE ]
Brace for the trash talkers coming in from other (inferior) forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm sure they will rear their ignorant heads sooner rather than later. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I recongize the area I have only drove 750 mile trip 121
times and I will see you 9th thru the 11th. Clint you are
very fortunate to have a friend like GG, I think that he
deserves a steak dinner. For some reason I am just a bit
jealous. Neway (anyway) I love to read and keep dreaming
when it is my turn. Congrats and thanks for taking time
to post the story. IP

goodgrouper,
Congratulations to you both!

Clint,
You did an awesome job, just don't forget how usefull your spoter was! Congrats again.
Javier Moncada.

Good Shooting!

Was it the fickle wind that pushed the bullet right, or was it Clint's excitement?

I wish we had a late cow season... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

That was a pretty awesome story. Nice pic's too. I've been hearing good things about accubonds and long range elk.

Great story and a great hunt. Thanks for the extra pictures. That picture of the truck's location tells the story.

I have the EXACT same setup other than my gun does not have a BOSS and I am shooting 77gr H4831.

Archer

Status
Not open for further replies.