946 yard cow elk pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok

A gun was used that has taken many animals at long range....Thats great really...My bad. But with you shooting it sparky!

Hey, I'm glad you had a great hunt and killed a cow at over 800 yards. I'm glad the cow finally died etc...If you feel good about it, thats fine.

My comment on bedded animals is just that. My comment. If you gt off shooting animals while they are sleeping etc. More power to you. It's odd however that I have never (and I'm sure I'm wrong) see Deer or game sized targets on the market with animals laying down. Again, I'm sure I'm wrong.

I have never watched an outdoor show where an animal was shot bedded down as well. Why is that? I cant be sure so I wont comment. Just come off with my own opinion why!

Goodgrouper. Never and I mean never have I recalled comparing you with someone else or calling you less than a quality individual. Thats just down right messed up. The funny thing is you compared me to RH In my eyes that is very much a compliment! Thank you! You got this thing with RH and doing what you can to slam him!! Kinda follows suite in the way you shoot game too...Laying down!

Others here...Sorry I'm getting like this. Short fuse I guess.

You have your backers GG and you will continue to do things that suit you no matter who or what you attack!

Dakor...I think your right. Nuke this baby so others dont see what LRH think is a good kill

I think I'm done and I now wait my execution from this site!

Joe

lablover

No executions for this thread from me!

All I see are varying differences in hunting and such and as long as we stay civil I'm fine.

My take on the thread (without breaking each statement into tiny little parts) is that sometimes things go a little south for all of us and secondly it's difficult to get the full intention of a thought across in a written post.

Not so fast there Goodgrouper

[ QUOTE ]
CLint had just successfully pulled off the longest big game kill I have seen this year

[/ QUOTE ]

The fat lady doesn't sing until this Saturday 30 minutes past sundown. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Of course my old scope doesn't gather light too good so it depends on how cloudy it is whether I can actually see to shoot through the last legal minutes. Plus as you said everything is so very spooky. It is hard to find any deer stupid enough to come out in the open. Most of them are in heavy cover. When I was scouting last week all of the beds I found were up on the ridgeline where I will be and nothing down in the valley.. Maybe Friday I will try from the valley shooting up at the ridge and then Saturday from the ridge down into the valley.

My backpack is sitting on a chair with most of my stuff in it and ready to go. My pythagorean gravitational vector analyzer is tuned and calibrated. The Ruger #1 is in its case with a pre-fouled barrel (27 year old barrel is just barely holding enough accuracy for the shot (I hope- 1200yds is one heck of a long ways)).

The Redskins won, U of Alabama won, and now I just need a cooperative deer to come stand out in the open in broad daylight to start the year off right. Plus my back is just now eased up from dragging the last deer a mile through the snow and I can sleep through the night without getting up for Tylenol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lablover
[original portion removed because it sounded rude]

... as far as shooting animals where they lay it actually is not too uncommon in the LR game. As you know LR hunting has a certain bowhunting dynamic to it. When the range is sufficiently long the animal being shot has no idea what just happened and from which direction. They would tend to remain in place and ponder this sudden bad feeling. Also having the animal bedded means the animal is not moving before the shot when range calculations are being made nor during the time of flight of the bullet. Both of these factors make for a quicker kill and increase the guarantee of reducing the animal to posession. As long range hunters we use as many advantages as we can to ensure a good kill. Scopes, custom loads, tuned guns, lasers, spotters, altimiters, and so forth. We also wait for the animal to be in the correct position to ensure a good kill. This position sometimes is bedded down.

Now the advice. If you haven't already done so I would suggest reading as many posts by Darryl Cassell as you care to. He hasn't posted here for years but he still has more entries than all but one member here. (Click on User List then click on Total posts then click it again) He has been LR hunting since the invention of bolt guns (not really) and I know he covers the shooting of bedded game more than once.

Have a fantastic day LL. I'll meet you in another post.

JeffBird,

I wasnt trying to call you out or anything like that, I was just trying to remind people what the overall point of this forum is, Long Range Hunting.

The bad thing about forums is that a lot can be lost or found or taken the wrong way in typed text. I am sure some of my stuff comes off wrong sometimes. I completely agree with you in the fact that you should only take shots that you feel confident in and have practiced.

I dont know how much CLint had practiced shots like this before but he did have a experinced long range shooter setting beside him. Whether that makes it right or not I dont know.

I am glad there are a lot of newbies getting into this sport. i would consider myself still a newbie since my first long range shot was taken last march

I am glad you said you will only shot to where you feel comfotable, sounds like you are on a good path

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

take it easy
steve

4kedhorn

My post was rude. Not sure how but OK. Whatever. I don't care if Christ himself says it's OK to shoot bedded animals. It's just something I don't do. I don't know why that my opinion on it can't be respected.

The LR game. Son, I have been doing the long range game for quite some time. Different game ya see!

"As long range hunters we use as many advantages as we can to ensure a good kill. Scopes, custom loads, tuned guns, lasers, spotters, altimiters, and so forth. We also wait for the animal to be in the correct position to ensure a good kill. This position sometimes is bedded down. "

I agree with your comment about gear etc. Very true. A stock gun..No way. Bedded, well we know where I stand there.

As far as the advice. I have read and learned quite a bit thank you. Thanks for the advice but I'll pass.

And 4ked horn, not sure what you meant by meeting me in another post????

I hope you have a great day as well!

MAtt27, sorry it took me so long to post back on here, my home computer is DOA so I have to do this at work

I am not saying this was a responsible shot, but I am not saying it wasnt either. We dont know how skilled CLint is at LRH. If that was his first real attempt at anything near that range then no I probably wasnt a responsible shot and wasnt the best idea.

If he has practiced a lot, paper, chucks, that kinda stuff, then this shot simply falls under the "SH!T HAPPENS" catagory. No matter what the practice we are not all gonna make the best shot all of the time. IF GG stated whether or not CLint was well versed in long range shooting or not I guess I missed it.

I definantly think LR shooters should only shoot around the ranges they have practiced before, seems to be the only resposible way to do it.

take it easy
steve

I'm just curious, buy how many times has Clint shot at this distance prior to the hunt? (maybe I missed that in the original post).

arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics (even if you win your still retarted) no pun intented, the elk is dead, lets quit beating them in the head

stripes, I haven't argued with anyone and certainly haven't beat anyone in the head. I was just asking about rangetime before making such a remarkable shot. I also don't really care to be classified as "retarded."

Am I asking too much?

Lablover it was the opening part of MY response that sounded rude so I removed it.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care if Christ himself says it's OK to shoot bedded animals. It's just something I don't do.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem there. It seemed to me that you were unfamiliar with others doing it and why. I just wanted to offer another persons input on the subject. Someone with more experience than 99% of the members here.

[ QUOTE ]
The LR game. Son, I have been doing the long range game for quite some time. Different game ya see!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm unfamiliar with the extent of your experience. I tried to offer the suggestion in as friendly a way as I could.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the advice. I have read and learned quite a bit thank you. Thanks for the advice but I'll pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto my last answer.

[ QUOTE ]
And 4ked horn, not sure what you meant by meeting me in another post????

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant goodbye from this topic. I'll see ya later. I'm still trying to be nice. Well wishes on future interactions. Via con Dios amigo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you have a great day as well!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I will.

Lerch

If GG's statemant is correct Clint had not shot or killed anything beyond 400 yards.

Somethin i still don't understand with your thinking GG.

You said the computer said to put 1moa on but you told clint to put on 1/2moa. Then you said you goofed and should have put the full minute on.Don't know if i am understanding this or my math is off. 1/2moa at 946 is roughly 4.5". 1 moa would be 9.46". How can you say you should of put the other 1/2moa on when you were 2-3 FEET off. Shouldn't it have been more like 3moa??

4ked Horn,
nicely done, you have better control of your emotions than I
UB

I couldn't take it any longer and had to chime in (for better or worse).

Re: All the critics!!

GEEEEEZE!

After the fire storm that was kicked off from GG's post, I'll probably be very hesitant to post any hunting results or experiences that are less than perfect!! And even then someone will still probably find something wrong! Clint may never post anything here, and I wouldn't blame him! It was nice (NOT) how some people just ASSumed that Clint didn't have the experience or expertise to take the shot and that the rifle wasn't up to the task. What do they know about Clint? Do they know how skilled he is or how much he shoots? Have they shot the rifle before? Who said that factory rifles can't be shooters anyway? One of mine is (only one), and I'd put it up against a custom rig any day. So what if this was his first LR kill, everyone who has or will make a LR kill will have a first.

There is alot to be learned from these 'less than perfect' hunts. But then IMHO all's well that ends well and in my book GG and Clint's hunt was close to perfection (The animal was killed relatively quickly, it was recovered and is not rotting somewhere on the hillside, and someone is enjoying its delicious, healthy, and lean meat).

Furthermore, I can see why debating the ethics of long range hunting are discouraged/prohibited on this forum...because nearly everyone's ethics differ, disagreements and differences of opinion are inevitable, and the debate/criticism of LRH related ethics makes some people (like me) feel uncomfortable about sharing experiences and information, thus stiffling the free flow of information, which IMO is what this site is all about. There are plenty of places (other forums) to discuss the various ethics involved in LRH, that this forum isn't devoted to these discussions is what makes it unique and special IMHO.

On a side note, I consider myself a true sustinence hunter (and predator) despite my financial circumstances. WHY?

Because my hobby/passion has some financial upside, even if the delicious wild meat doesn't pay for it's self (how well does that work for golf?)

I really enjoy hunting, havesting, butchering, and preparing my own food. For me that is a great part of the hunting experience (it goes well beyond sport hunting for me). I'm not just a spectator of the natural food chain, but a participant.

I'd already have spent the money on the shooting equipment for the enjoyment of target shooting.

I prefer wild meat (including Mt Lion and Bear) to beef and other store purchased meats and last time I checked they didn't sell venison, elk, antelope, bear, or Mt. lion at my local grocery store. So to partake of these healthy and tasty meats, hunting and harvesting are a necessity for me.

Thanks GG for the post, I really enjoyed it. Good ending to a good hunt.

One last note:

I think that Lablovers comments on shooting bedded animals were unnecessary, didn't contribute in any good way to the topic, and only served to cause contention. Plus, I think his daddy is wrong (sorry about that, I couldn't resist).

And that's about all I have to say about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.