cow elk@1203 yards

What is the goal yardage this time. I also had that tag this year but I have already tagged out. My brother in law still has a tag this year and we will be working on getting him one in the coming month.

Good luck Jim

Ps the 300 is shooting good, thanks for letting me pick your brain all those years.

What is the goal yardage this time. I also had that tag this year but I have already tagged out. My brother in law still has a tag this year and we will be working on getting him one in the coming month.

Good luck Jim

Ps the 300 is shooting good, thanks for letting me pick your brain all those years.

Hey Clint.

I'm going to drive my truck as far up the road as I can without chains, stop, get out the bench and gear and shoot from wherever that might be. Probably 1500 to 2000 yards. I guess it depends on conditions too.

How did your hunt go? When did you kill and where? Same place as before?

You're very welcome about the help. Anytime. Don't be a stranger. Shoot me an email if you have any questions I can help with.

Maybe we'll see you on the mountain.

Jim,

You can check out my post in the elk section under 420 yd Elk. I killed it on the 5th of december. it was in a different spot alot closer to my house. I had been watching this small herd for a few weeks and finally my oppertunity came. look forward to you story.

Clint

Have ya been out yet? Couldn't get within 2k without those chains? Want company? I have horses and a tobogan.

Have ya been out yet? Couldn't get within 2k without those chains? Want company? I have horses and a tobogan.

I went out just to look around last weekend and there were about 20 guys out on the mountain chasing the elk all over the place. Several of them were houndsmen just "running their dogs" for fun. No tag. No clients. No awareness that there were people trying to hunt ELK! So I just pulled my spotting scope back in the truck and headed down to Hiawatha to shoot some 1k steel and break in a barrel. Time much better spent!

I'll probably head out next week and I might just take you up on that offer. Feel like tromping through waist deep snow?

Bummer. On an archery hunt several years ago a pack of dogs came through hot on a big lion. The lion jumped a herd of elk. The dogs, hot on the lion, chased everything but the cat in the confusion. Shortly they brought a big bull to bay on a rocky outcropping. The bull ran out on this rocky point with a cliff behind him. Then, turned to fight. It was pretty neat to watch that bull hold off those dogs. Once he tossed one fifteen feet high.

After an hour or so the houndsman came along. He had a hell of a time getting his dogs off the bull. Must've been a dozen dogs. He told me he'd been hired by a ranch just below us to get the cat. Said it was killing stock. I don't know if he was supposed to be there in September or not. It took two days for the elk to move back in and start bugling again. A week later we killed a nice bull not a quarter mile from where we'd watched the other turn to fight.

I've been on a cat hunt behind the dogs. Lot of fun. Still, they can sure empty an area in a hurry.

I'll come wade in the snow. It's sure been piling up! If it's feasable I'll bring the horses to get the cow.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.