Cow Elk Hunt

AKBman

I will be trying to fill a cow tag in Unit 34 of New Mexico next weekend and into the week. Right now I am torn between my 375 Ruger, or my 300 Win Mag. The 375 is shooting 300gr bullets, figure it is good to 300 yards or so, the 300 of course is good to about twice that with the 180gr bullets. I don't plan to shoot much over 300 due to having some back problems (bulging disc waiting for surgery), so I know either will get the job done, the 300 has a slight advantage in accuracy as the ranges start to stretch out, but out to 300 either will reliably put one in the boiler room of an elk.

Both guns will work. The elk does not care if he was killed with a 30 cal or a 375. The important thing is take the rifle that you can hit what your aiming at and most comfortable shooting. When I shoot the big 375s I develop a flinch and tend to close my eyes because I know what's coming. If it was up to me I would take the 30 cal because of you back. You won't have to sneak up on them as close.

Yeah, both are proven rounds, the 300 has accounted for caribou and an interior grizzly, it is the rifle I packed while I lived in Alaska, the 375 Ruger is a new addition. Both are Rugers, and both have proven very accurate, scary accurate when I do my part.

I will be trying to fill a cow tag in Unit 34 of New Mexico next weekend and into the week. Right now I am torn between my 375 Ruger, or my 300 Win Mag. The 375 is shooting 300gr bullets, figure it is good to 300 yards or so, the 300 of course is good to about twice that with the 180gr bullets. I don't plan to shoot much over 300 due to having some back problems (bulging disc waiting for surgery), so I know either will get the job done, the 300 has a slight advantage in accuracy as the ranges start to stretch out, but out to 300 either will reliably put one in the boiler room of an elk.
Either will kill an elk dirt dead so the consideration should be "What offers me a better chance of bringing home a freezer full of meat?"

If the 300wm is accurate you have all the horse power necessary to take one at 800yds or more.

That is what would make the difference for me. Just think how aggravated you'll be driving home to eat "tag soup" instead of Elk just because you never got a shot within that 300yds range.

I'd take the one I found more interesting at the time. I wouldn't be interested in the 300 grain .375.

I find them to be too much in the middle. If you had more time I'd say look at the 250-270 grain bullets to offset some of the trajectory issues. In my opinion these work better than the 300's at range. The 350's work better up close.

I should qualify that I'm talking about case capacities like the Ruger, and H&H. The answer changes with the larger cases.

The 300's are good game killers no doubt

Unit 34 does not necessitate extremely shots for the most part. Carry whichever gun you are comfortable with. Cow elk are not that terribly tough to kill as long as the bullet is put where it needs to be. Both rifles are more than enough.

Unit 34 consists of both dark timber, and mixed cedar and juniper, shots from 25-50 to 400+. I will keep both rifles in the rig, if I'm hunting the timber where shots are close, I will use the 375, if I am in the juniper, I will carry the 300. I love the 375 Ruger, it shoots 270gr bullets like an '06 does 180s, and shoots these 300gr SBT and Hornady RN bullets into tiny groups. The 300, since I pulled my head out and switched back to RL 22, is shooting groups at 200 and 300 that I was lucky to get with IMR 7828. The 300 with the boat paddle stock is at least a pound lighter than the 375 with the laminated stock and slightly heavier 23" barrel. Either way, I feel I am pretty well covered, if the shot is less than 50 yards, the 454 Casull will get the call.

My dad has a 375 ruger that we just had build and he can blow milk jugs apart reliably at 500 with the 270gr Barnes TSX utalizing the B&C reticle on his VX3. My opinion is the 375 will dominate.

I haven't tried the TSX in 375 yet, they were a decent performer in my 300, I will try them in the 375 eventually. For me the 375 was envisioned as a 300 yards and in smack down rifle, and for large game animals, but who knows, I may need to look at stretching that distance a bit. The 300 has been a stellar performer for me, and there isn't a game animal in North America I wouldn't feel comfortable hunting with it and a good 200gr bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.