820 Yard cow elk pics

Hey Goodgrouper.

I just took a look at that site and as usual there seems to be a combination of problems.
A lack of understanding for long range hunting versus standard hunting and ALL the propper differences.
A lack of willingness to ask a question and LISTEN to the answer.
Hypocrisy (which may be the worst of all).
A lack of being able to see that different can still be good and that not everybody has the same capacities and skills and that is just fine.
Lastly there is the mentality that when something dosent fit "in their book" that we are somehow irresponsible if we don't agree with them because they said so. Nobody owns the book.

Since I would be preaching to the choir by giving examples on this forum I will hold them for anyone that wants to ask and then listen to what I'm saying.

I will say a few things to the Choir before I end this post. We can not fall into the trap of separating yourselves from other hunters OR other shooters by pointing fingers back at them (unless they force you to). Gun owners, either target shooters, hunters, or collectors as well as hunters of birds, big game, small game or varmints weather hunting with guns Bows or slingshots MUST stick together or we will lose it ALL.

Goodgrouper. You were attacked and scorned and then you and others said your piece. Don't let it get to you by chasing after every thing they say about you. You know what you can do and you know when you screw up. Nobody is perfect and only perfect people can expect you to be.

This ain't the first time hunters have dissagreed and it wont be the last. Don't let the last few days take away from what you did. It was a GREAT shot and it sounds like you did it right.

Goodgrouper,

Nice shot... Challenging and rewarding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Nice to see how the Accubond held up too, a great bonus.

goodgrouper,

Man don't let those guys bother you. They will never know the appreciation and passion it takes to do what you do. Everything I have read by you has been very pleasant and I look forward to reading your future long range hunting experiences. Again those guys haven't got a clue and will never know hunting until they try more challenging forms that level the playing field. They aren't even worth the effort.

Lance

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate your info on Elk hunting and bullet performance. Here in Missouri I can't seem to locate a long range shot. So, I have to rely on info from you guys for the day it finally comes (probably out west). Anyway, keep feeding us the tips on Elk hunting...great stuff. P.s. Not to get off track here, but would CTR mean anything to you or Brass Bender???

[/ QUOTE ]

It certainly does to Brassbender.

4ked Horn said it all.
Goodgrouper, congradulations on your kill. Your dedication to the sport is remarkable.

Jim

goodgrouper,
Excellent shot, excellent photos, excellent memories for all LRH enthusiasts! Kudos to you!

kwanjangnihm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

GG, I don't usually reply on this site, just visit to pick up some info. My exact quote on AR was:
"By the looks of the countryside, he could have gotten alot closer? I would say well done though, just not my style of "hunting"".

MOST OF LIFE IS JUST SHOWING UP Posts: 2509 | Location: ca,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001

That's not exactly a flaming denouncement of longrange hunting. It's just not my style. Your original post didn't really explain what you were upto in "trying" to take a 1000yd shot. I understand the challenge, & while I am upto hitting a 12" piece of steel @ 800yds, I am not upto the greater possibility of wounding game. You don't seem bothered by it, that's your burden. I like to maximize me ability to take a big game animal down as quickly as possible, and there are just too many variables to insure success @ that kind of range. You even state yourself that the chance of the animal moving @ the shot is great. The result is a wounded animal. I dind't call you unethical, just not my style.
Remeber, if you go on a public forum bragging about something you have done, expect some people to agree w/ you, some people not & some people to rail you for it, That's life, if you want everyone to agree w/ you, then go to a site where everyone is doing what you do, like this one.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
That's not exactly a flaming denouncement of longrange hunting. It's just not my style

[/ QUOTE ]

Fred338, You are playing both sides here. Pick a side and stand by it like a man. If you're not with us, you're against us. You can't have it both ways! Maybe it would be best if you stay at AR.

[ QUOTE ]
GG, I don't usually reply on this site, just visit to pick up some info.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you getting your info to take it to AR with the intent of defacing LRH? It wouldn't surprise me.

[ QUOTE ]
You don't seem bothered by it, that's your burden.

[/ QUOTE ]

For your information, I have shot 7 big game animals over 700 yards and have never lost one. NOT ONE. So if it seems I'm not bothered by it, it's because I've never HAD to bother with it!

[ QUOTE ]
That's life, if you want everyone to agree w/ you, then go to a site where everyone is doing what you do, like this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know were I am, do you??

Since I'm sure that Dave King will erase your post for violating our rules here, I will not comment any further.

gg,
first great shot, second I am glad you took it serious enough to practice such ranges religioulsy so that making it is second nature. Dont let these guys who practice the day before season; if then ruin you great moment.

buy the way i have a browning l/h ss rechambered to 300 rum and was wondering if you have had any trigger work done. factory trigger a little steep.

I tweeked my trigger myself and got it down to about 2 pounds with no creep or overtravel. It wasn't as easy as I was hoping it was going to be. If the Remington trigger is a 10 on the list of ease of adjusting, then the Browning is a solid 4!
Oh, by the way, thank you deeply for your kind words. I just want everyone to know that I do appreciate the optimistic comments! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hey goodgrouper,
I have to say congrats again on the great elk shot. Keep up the good work and keep fighting for what you know is right. Hopfully Nosler will keep in touch with you.
I got my Ken Ferrel bases on the 300 RUM and am sighted in. We need to go shooting out West sometime. You know ya got to keep practicing to top that 820 yard shot to prove your point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Later,
'yote hunter

Goodgrouper,
I want to congratulate you on, not only your great hunt/shot story, but also on your very articulate and well thought out defense of, not just this type of hunting, but hunting in general. I totally agree with everything you said and support your passionate defense of same. Hunting, (sport hunting especially) is not for everyone. It does ultimately mean the taking of an animals life, and there are people out there who would rather die themselves than do this, then there are those who qualify how it has to be done, IE: only in a humane way, etc. etc. Well I for one have seen the best and the worst of the ways nature herself dishes out death, and believe me, the very worst most F****d up gut shot, suffering, lingering death is a better way to go than most animals get at the hands of mother nature. I applaud your dedication, determination, and your ability and skill at what you do. We need a lot more young people like yourself, who have that ability to be passionate at whatever in life they choose to do.I would love to meet you some day and swap hunting stories. As someone on here states in their sign-off:"Obsessed" is a word made up by the lazy to describe the "dedicated". I believe that the ones who have chosen to pick on us here at LRH for what we do,fall into that "lazy" category.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts