What is the the most flat shooting cartridge yall can think of?

Yeah I'm curious about what data he plugged in besides BC and MV
For MPBR playing with Berger bullets ballistic calculator makes it easy.

It's amazing how many people can't read your first post and comprehend what you're asking.

1714441885604.png

1714441924015.png

No replacement for displacement.
There's no substitute for cubic inches.

It's a little heavy to pack around in the hills.
There is actually a replacement for displacement. It's called efficiency!

Bullet weight and powder burn rate and barrel bore volume all come into play. There is such thing as too much of a good thing and it's called 25stw or 7rum. The performance numbers don't outweigh the cost to get there...... for me at least.

I'm not looking for 25stw cost of ownership just to have the performance.
I'm also not looking for 30br performance just to have a 5k round barrel life either.

I think a well designed cartridge with a 40° shoulder and 70-80gr of h20 capacity is at the top of the sweet spot for a 257cal. Anything more than that and you start dancing around the "law of diminishing returns".

There is actually a replacement for displacement. It's called efficiency!
Nope.

I won't argue with the fact that with larger capacity, we have diminished returns. But the fact is, there are returns.
It just comes down to how hard you wanna run.
No disrespect meant my friend.
My 300 Rum at 4200fps is very efficient, when compared to the 30-378 bee.
But the big bee will yield returns that exceed the rum with any projo fired.

Nope.

I won't argue with the fact that with larger capacity, we have diminished returns. But the fact is, there are returns.
It just comes down to how hard you wanna run.
No disrespect meant my friend.
My 300 Rum at 4200fps is very efficient, when compared to the 30-378 bee.
But the big bee will yield returns that exceed the rum with any projo fired.
I agree with you there. And no disrespect incurred 😉.

And yes you will have returns "velocity" by burning more powder. 100% agree with that! But is 100fps worth the additional 10gr of powder it takes to get there? 7000 grains in a pound of powder....loading a cartridge like the 30-378wby with 120gr of US869 is not appealing to me for shooting coyotes.

I want to not need to dial on coyotes that I can see with the naked eye. That's about 400yds if they are moving or on open ground.

I agree with you there. And no disrespect incurred 😉.

And yes you will have returns "velocity" by burning more powder. 100% agree with that! But is 100fps worth the additional 10gr of powder it takes to get there? 7000 grains in a pound of powder....loading a cartridge like the 30-378wby with 120gr of US869 is not appealing to me for shooting coyotes.

I want to not need to dial on coyotes that I can see with the naked eye. That's about 400yds if they are moving or on open ground.
Being able to tell everyone sitting around the fire that they shoot wimpy cartridges is always priceless.

Just kidding, kind of...

6.5-284 shooting 99 Hammer Hunter at 3350 fps has a 275 MPBR and should be good out to 500 yds or deer, antelope and varmints with right at the magical 1000 fp energy.

My 25-06 load with a 115vld is 298yds
This was pretty interesting, it might be fun to slam a 1-8" twist 27" inch barrel on and play around with both, the .25-06 and the .257 Wby Mag using those 130gr plus bullets, of course, I see the .257 Wby Mag giving the best showing overall due to case. But, if this guys facts and findings are good, well, why not?
Cheers.

Recent Posts