What is the fastest cartridge?

Im really suprised nobody mentioned the .17 Remington it comes in at 4436 with a 20gr bullet. It is a factory caliber and as far as I can tell from this site it is THE fastest factory round.

The only one time I shot a remington 17 caliber I put a penny in the bark of a tree and shot it from about 50 feet it punched a hole in the center of it and it did not bend it the hole looked like I had done it on a punch press no burrs at all. it was a 25 grain bullet and 25 grains of powder I forget which one

I have a 22-243 Middlestead which gets a Varmint Grenade out there around 5250fps. Just don't touch the barrel after about 3 shots.

I have a 22-243 Middlestead which gets a Varmint Grenade out there around 5250fps. Just don't touch the barrel after about 3 shots.

So does it vaporize what ever it hits? What weight bullet are you shooting? How many shots do you plan of getting before it is a smooth bore?

Tank

Not your common rifle, But you can read about it in German infantry guns of WW2. A family friend was a officer left in Germany for the rebuilding after the war. He had brought home one of these light anti-tank weapons. When I was a young lad back it the 60's. he pulled it out of the gun collection for several shots at dead tracked catapillar on somebodies farm. It blew clear through some monster desiel motor block with ease at 200 some yards

It had a 42 0r 46 inch barrel and a case as big as a american 50 cal. The bullet was a soft copper 9mm around a tungston core of less than 8mm. What made this gun unique was the barrel started out at 9mm and constricted down to the 8mm size at the muzzle. It was tested right at the 5000+ fps and was supposed to go through a couple inches of armor at 400 meters.

He was a total speed freak and aquired one of Mr. PO Ackleys 270AI's necked to .22 with a 28 inch barrel. I remember going out after reloading with something like 62 grains of H870 with some kind of 50 ish grain bullets and it put pin holes in the paper at 100 yards. So he eventually went to heavier bullet weights and less powder. Back then nobody had Chronos, but it was right at the end of mr. ackleys life

Last edited:
Factory production "cartridge" rounds, not a handloaded wildcat, not a rail gun? Easy enough; the 120mm APFSDS round used in the M1 Abrams, Leopard II, etc.. Muzzle velocity is in the neighborhood of 5,300 fps, and the BC is, uh, rather high. You don't want to be the varmint on the recieving end of that round, armored or not!

Man I would love to have a job at a bullet manufacture where all I did was test fire. That is my dream job. I just never persued the schooling, because my math ability was very low. gun)YEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAA!

No, trust me, it really isn't! Gets to be real work in no time flat, and saps the fun out of your hobby to boot.!

No, trust me, it really isn't! Gets to be real work in no time flat, and saps the fun out of your hobby to boot.!

You know it's funny you mention that. Seems like every time I try to make a career out of something I enjoy doing, I end up not liking it in the end. That is why I have decided to keep my shooting as a hobby and not a profession.

Tank

I had to keep them separated, too. Hard to load 5-600 (with all the associated resizing, trimming, cleaning, priming, etc.) rounds a day for testing, then get excited about loading up a couple hundered more for a match that weekend. Got a real appreciation for smallbore competition, conventional prone or rifle silhouette, simply because I didn't have to reload for them.

Knew a guy who was a photo editor at Playboy. Once made the mistake of commenting that HE had a dream job. He said no, that they all got pretty boring pretty quickly, and sometimes you had to talk to them . . . and they then became even more boring. I think there was a lesson somewhere in there.

He said no, that they all got pretty boring pretty quickly, and sometimes you had to talk to them . . . and they then became even more boring. I think there was a lesson somewhere in there.

Make sure you look at their EYES!:D Though should you need a test subject for .308 Win ammo, let me know. :cool:

Tank

Factory production "cartridge" rounds, not a handloaded wildcat, not a rail gun? Easy enough; the 120mm APFSDS round used in the M1 Abrams, Leopard II, etc.. Muzzle velocity is in the neighborhood of 5,300 fps, and the BC is, uh, rather high. You don't want to be the varmint on the recieving end of that round, armored or not!

friend of mine shot one at a dog just the other day, while we were at gunnery . funniest thing i have ever seen.

(ps dogs in iraq = P-dogs in the states, way too many of them and they all have nasty crap on them that would mess you up if you touch them)

i dont think ive seen the 243 win on here. not the fastest but still with a 55 grain bullet its going 4000+

friend of mine shot one at a dog just the other day, while we were at gunnery . funniest thing i have ever seen.

(ps dogs in iraq = P-dogs in the states, way too many of them and they all have nasty crap on them that would mess you up if you touch them)

i dont think ive seen the 243 win on here. not the fastest but still with a 55 grain bullet its going 4000+

A guy I knew in Kansas from the Vietnam Era said they use to use their M60 Tanks to shoot at feral hogs on the gun range (Ft. Riley). At the time they were using rifled 105mm rounds. Said pigs vaporized upon impact.:D

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.