What is the MOST FUSSY cartridge...and LEAST?

5.7x28 as mentioned above... reloaded it 2x shortages ago... and sold the dies and won't pick up the brass to never be tempted again.

375 ruger has been the easiest I've ever loaded for, would get single digits spread and superb groups out of just about everything loaded in it. Easiest of 25 or so cartridges I've worked loads up for. Conversely the rifle beats the snot out of the shooter, we did all the initial loads with 3 shooters as flinch would appear rather rapidly.

From time to time a scope goes back on top as it stacks them.... and about 5 rounds in comes back off and it's relegated to bear protection only.

Hate to admit it but easiest has been the 6.5 CM, hardest without a doubt has been the 6.5-300 Wby.
The 6.5 x 300 Weatherby can be a struggle. I've build rifles that were top tier all the way, that were put together right, built especially for long range target work, then watched guys who are experienced accuracy minded handloaders struggle to find something that those rifles liked. They got there eventually, but no 2 rifles seemed the same, what tickled ones fancy won't always work in another.

A 257 Ackley, it shot lights out fire forming the brass, but with the powder, primers, and bullets I had I could not get it to group under 2" after the fire forming. I eventually traded a friend for an unfinished gun stock. He got the barrel shooting good and it didn't take that long. That was when I was building rifles kinda early and from time afterward I'd think about that rifle and what was wrong with it with my set, which was on a Mauser 98. I finally came to the conclusion that I did not seat the barrel on the inside of the frame first and instead I tightened it up kinda like a Remington does and that was the problem but I'll never know for sure. But I have taken in a lot of Mauser's since then that did not shoot and all I had to do was set the barrel back a little and check the headspace to make them shoot so I'm sure that's what was wrong with mine at the time. But I got a beautiful piece of wood for that barrel so I'm not complaining either.

I don't have a 45-70, or have ever shot one.
Yea but you probably pull the trigger on the A10 huh? I've loaded for a 458 WM and a Marlin 45-70. I had the 458 downloaded to modern 45-70 loads and it would clover leaf at 100 yds. The Marlin 45-70 was too rough on my shoulder so I gave it to him and he uses it to bear hunt with. He's not the tiny hunter to the left anymore. I gave it to him as a Christmas gift, a week later he shoots this beast.
I don't have a 45-70, or have ever shot one.

Attachments

• Christopher with Bear he shot with my 45-70b.jpg
    Christopher with Bear he shot with my 45-70b.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Christopher with Bear he shot with my 45-70.jpg
    Christopher with Bear he shot with my 45-70.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 30
Least fussy- 1.) 6.5 Creed. So easy, it's boring.
2.) 257 Weatherby. On my 3rd one and each has been super simple to find a sweet spot. Very impressive for such a high intensity cartridge.

Most fussy- 270 WEATHERBY MAG!! Ugh!!

HI Mojo, My 270 Weatherby Mag likes this long-range deer load. Mark V, 26 inch BBL. 130 Grn. Nosler Ballistic tip; 67.1 Grns of IMR 4350 ;Federal 215 Primer, All cases weight 211.0 to 211.9 Base of case to OGIVE 2.734 to 2.745 . I used to shoot 67.3 grns but now I just shoot at the range with 67.1. 1 inch group at 300 Yards . Not bad for a factory stock rifle and a then 74 year old man shooting it. 😊 Very old 1980's Wyoming deer load for me, Now I have Lab Radar I will finally see if its 3300 /3325 fps. I think its is or very close. Perhaps you might want to try it ,and tune it to your rifle. Good shooting buddy!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3534 (1).jpg
    IMG_3534 (1).jpg
    269 KB · Views: 21
Yeah, but only with test equipment hooked up...lol...I am sorry to say.
btw the 458 is now a 300 WM, after sitting in the safe for 15-20 years doing nothing I changed it out 1.5 yrs ago and I have a long distance shooter now. That's the first brake I've ever had on anything, it is amazing, that thick pad was for the 458 that I made a brake for, but it never worked like this one does.

Attachments

• 300 WM 9-1-22.jpg
    300 WM 9-1-22.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 16
Let's go down the rabbit hole. What is the most fussy cartridge you've ever had to deal with? You eventually got it to shoot acceptably but with much heartache and effort or maybe only shooting 1 particular load acceptably and shotgunning all others.

On the flip, whats the cartridge you found that can do no wrong? Whatever you throw together shoots well and just plain makes it looks easy.
7mm STW when it was new. Brass necks were a little thick and caused some pressure spikes.

Yea, but most of us will never do that and we'llnever hear that bruppp they make up close. Thank you for your service.
Welcome! I have heard the BRRRRRRRT in person! Watched some 500lb'ers that I loaded, come of the TER and hit the target. A very cool and bizarre feeling at the same time. Such completely different jets, the A10 and the F15. If I had a $ for every round of 30mm I loaded........just in the year and a half I worked it. $$$$$$ lol

Yea but you probably pull the trigger on the A10 huh? I've loaded for a 458 WM and a Marlin 45-70. I had the 458 downloaded to modern 45-70 loads and it would clover leaf at 100 yds. The Marlin 45-70 was too rough on my shoulder so I gave it to him and he uses it to bear hunt with. He's not the tiny hunter to the left anymore. I gave it to him as a Christmas gift, a week later he shoots this beast.
Definitely a beast!