820 Yard cow elk pics

Yeah, CTR is the motto often heard in these parts!
Choose the Remington? I like it!

I spent some time in Missouri. I liked it. I was in western Missouri and there were places there that I bet you could easily get a 1/2 mile shot on those whitetails if the rolling hills were far enough apart.

Not me. I'm a "beer and coffee drinker" (according to all my Mormon neighbors). You a beer drinker?

In the above post where I said "We don't mind" it was meant as an encouragement to ask what he wants to know and not to feel like he had to beat around the bush. No need to be shy here.

goodgrouper, I see that you shot one of my pets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif, I wont tell my daughter though. I live at the base of Timp and am tempted by the deer and elk that present 100 to 1000 yard shots from my back yard. Guess I will have to wait untill I get a tag next year. BTW, Which gun store do you work at? I'll stop by and say hello.

I worked at Gart sports in Boise but that was 10 years ago. I was just getting into long range shooting then. I was also a frequenter of all the other gun stores. I knew most of the retail gun clerks in the boise area at that time and got to hear alot of good info and some really "far out" stuff. Oh and I met lots of "Navy Seals" and "Special Forces".( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gifYeah, right.)I'd bet none that claimed to be really were.

Yeah, I've heard a few of those "sniper" stories too! It is amazing how fast they shut up and run when you start quizzing them about their equipment and knowledge. I remember one "white feather" proceeded to tell me he killed an elk at 1200 meters with a 308 and just had to hold about 6" high to connect! RIIIIIIIIGHT. I asked him what the muzzle velocity was of his jet propelled 308 and he started to turn green and headed for the door!

It has come to my attention that someone on our beloved forum has tossed our pearls before the swine of another anti-longrange forum. For that, they should be terminated from LRH. The reason I joined this forum was so I didn't have to explain myself or my hunting tactics to others so they could be torn apart by the anti-long rangers (less learned).
The forum in question is accuratereloading.com.

On this site, they have taken my thread out of context and called me every name in the book for my "unethical" shot.

While that is fine with me what those boneheads say, I felt some more explaining to our members was in order.

My elk hunt was not a luck or chance hunt. I am a precision long range shooter and have been for some time. I shoot targets that are 1/100 the size of elk at longer distances than 820 yards all summer long. I knew my equipment and skills down to the letter. I had chronoed my load the day before the outing, and sighted it in at long range (1000 yards) several times before the hunt. I had my angle tool, laser rangefinder, spotting scope with witnesses, drop chart, thermometer, and my own optimistic attitude at my descretion. The elk were not spooked, and offered a great target. There was absolutely no wind as the fog was settling in all around us. Even if the wind would have been blowing, I am familiar enough with reading mirage to account for drift at that range and adjust accordingly. I was absolutely certain of my abilities that day, and the thought of this shot being unethical never once crossed my mind. I KNEW I COULD MAKE THIS SHOT BEFORE I EVER SET FOOT ON THE MOUNTAIN!!
Many of you on this forum (LRH) could and have routinely made shots like this or farther, and I say that I am proud to know you! We are a select bunch, and we know that with the proper equipment and practice, almost anything is possible.

In an earlier post, I make mention of a sheep kill I made 2 years ago. I should have elaborated on this more, but my intention was to show how game animals can move out of the way of the bullet at long range so one must be patient and careful not to shoot too soon. I did not even think about how this might sound to someone reading it out of text.
The full story on that was:
It was my last day of a once-in-a-lifetime hunt, and after spending thousands of dollars and countless hours in the desert, my friend found the ram (the only ram worth taking in the whole unit) across a canyon, and in full alertness looking for ewes. Any motion or noise would have alerted the ram to our presence.
He was on a big slope which gave me a big area (about 1 mile) to watch him after the shot in case we needed to finish him. Under the circumstances, I knew I could make the shot, and indeed, I think those shots are more challenging, thus making it more fun.
Again, I had several spotters on spotting scopes to help me, and I had my drop charts, rangefinder, and a Varmint Rest. Once I put my gun in this rest, I felt absolutely comfortable with the shot. I KNEW I COULD DO IT. A ram is a lot bigger target than the rockchucks and prairie dogs I had been shooting for 6 months prior.
My first shot all but severed the leg, and my second shot plain missed because I hurried it a little (once in a lifetime hunts can get the adrenaline flowing) but the third shot hit home and it was lights out. The whole event took about 1 minute. So yes, the ram may have felt pain for one minute, but it is NO WORSE than an arrow through the lungs, or being dragged down by a cougar. That is life. Pain is inevitable in life. My shots were still more efficient at killing the ram than either the arrow or cougar could ever be. That being said, I believe in bow hunting, and in a kitty getting a meal once in awhile. If how an animal checks out bothers you, don't hunt, and don't watch the discovery channel.
Anyway, the ram is being mounted, and his meat is in my freezer, and anything said in hindsight against the matter is nothing but afterthought.

OK, now I have a few words to those reading this thread from LRH to Accuratereloading by the link provided you by our traitor. I want to re emphasize to our LRH readers that what I say from now on is directed to the bone head naysayers at Accuratereloading.com.

First of all, I read all the responses in your site on my hunt, and there were a few of you who were optimistic and said nice things. You kept an open mind, and are to be congratulated for that. Please bear in mind that the *** ripping that follows is not directed to you!

Nay sayers: (I will mention names. Canuck, savage99, anotherazwriter,duckster, rickt300, hikerbum, jstevens,chucknelson,kutenay,fredj338)

You have passed premature judgment on me and a whole forum of long range enthusiasts, and for that, my opinion of you is quite low. You are almost as bad as members of PETA. You're excuses for not educating yourselves are almost identical to the pathetic excuses PETA uses to ridicule anything they don't agree with. SHAME ON YOU! The worst thing hunters can do is seperate in views. We should stick together, not drive wedges between us. THAT IS WHAT ANTI-HUNTERS WANT US TO DO!!
I can not help it if I have taken shooting to a level that you're not familiar with, you should have and could have kept up! Instead, you belittle and snivel in our shadows. Sorry, It does not mean belly-button lint to me if you're mindset has not kept up with technology. My ancestors in the late 1880's were killing buffalo and elk on the great plains at 1000 meters with black powder guns and open sights! So why is it such a great fallacy to hunt the same way they did, only with much deadlier weapons! They would have loved to use the guns you have access to everyday to shoot those buffalo, and you limit them to 200 yards! WHY!?!? Get out there and learn the trade before you belittle it. YOU MIGHT JUST SURPRISE YOURSELF AT WHAT YOU CAN DO!

On the subject of killing range, many of you have mentioned how you are lethal at 300 yards or better. Now I will take the view of a radical on your side, and ask you why you don't get any closer? What if I were to tell you that you're un-ethical for taking that 300 yard shot when you should have got on your hands and knees and crawled to within what I feel is an ethical range of 35 yards? what would be your response?
I bet you'd say, "Well, I knew I could take that 300 yard shot, and I have practiced it, and my equipment was zeroed for that range so I shot". SOUND FAMILIAR?? That is what guys tell YOU who have shot farther than you've ever dreamed.

I am willing to bet that long range hunters/shooters shoot on average 50 times the amount of ammo you do annually! They practice more than just once before the deer hunt. They on average spend more money on their equipment too, which is an indirect indicator of how much more serious they are than you!

I tried to get a longer shot on my elk, but it didn't work out that way, so I settled for an 820 yard shot. Too me, the hunt is the challenge, and the challenge is the hunt, so I try to make it fun for myself and the friends I bring along. I DO NOT HAVE AS MUCH FUN shooting an elk at 200 yards with an overpowered, scoped, modern rifle. THERE IS NO CHALLENGE IN THAT FOR ME!!!!

My elk was dead in her sleep, and that is about as good as dying can get. Like Ted Nugent says,"you have to kill it before you can grill it!" I did not wound any other elk on my hunt, and I hit the elk that I was aiming at. There was no flock shooting!! I also did not post this picture to brag, of course, you would have known that if you had the balls to register at LRH. I posted the picture to show how the Nosler Accubond works well at long range. It was taken out of text on your pathetic site.

Oh, and for the guy that said I've lost it for bringing a posterboard and a sharpie on my hunt, I will tell you that the so called "poster board" is actually the back of my drop chart, and yes, I do bring my sharpie along because I have gotten used to doing that for the Varmint Hunters Association. I was not the first one to think of this!

OK. I've spoken my peace for now. I will make sure that I shoot some more long range animals at even longer ranges so I can post them on your site to **** you naysayers off some more.
Thanks.

Goodgrouper,
You're among friends here. We've all been blasted at one time or another somewhere else. I've more than once had to fight the ethical wars out there.

JK

goodgrouper,
my goodness, i'm glad i haven't gotten you upset. TAKE A DEEP BREATH, I MEAN A DEEP ONE; TRY TO RELAX. You've done an exellent job at speaking your peace. Well done!!!
Here is something our friend Daniel Lilja (from precision rifle barrels) said:
[ QUOTE ]
Ethical?
A few have been critical of long-range big game hunting and one or two have just flat out refused to believe that such nonsense could even be true. To those who don't believe, I can only say it is true and very possible to hunt at long-range. The heavy 1000 yard target-type rifles used while hunting are capable of tremendous accuracy. A look at some of the record groups, that have been fired during 1000 yard benchrest competition can be seen on another part of our web site, is impressive. Five shot groups under 4 inches are quite possible at 1000 yards.

For those who think it is an unethical way to hunt, I have to wonder if they think hunting of any sort is morally right other than "conventional" hunting? I don't criticize other forms of big game hunting such as archery, handgun hunting, muzzle loaders, shotgun slugs and buckshot, baiting, or hunting with dogs. So why do they? I can guarantee that my long-range rifles are far more accurate at any range than any of the weapons I just mentioned. The fact that I choose to hunt using the methods my articles have described, with some judgement thrown in, does not make me any less of a sportsman than conventional hunters or those using the other methods I mentioned.

To those who would like to hunt at long-range but have yet to do so, I would like to offer the following. If you want to hunt at long-range, don't go about it in a half prepared way. Buy the necessary equipment and practice with it on inanimate objects a lot before attempting to go hunting. Learn your equipment and your own limitations and don't go past them while hunting. It can be fun, frustrating and rewarding. If I have made any contribution to your success then we both will have gained.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/longrange_shooting/shooting_hunting.htm
Excellent information for those that want to educate themselves for Long Range Hunting and Shooting. It really is an art and a challange.

Thanks Eaglet. I am passionate about our sport, and I will defend our choice of long range hunting fervently. I felt our long range family was under fire, and I had to throw it back at 'em. Perhaps that is my youthfulness speaking unbounded. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Speak your mind man. Those punks at that site are just embarassed cause they can't hit one over 200 yards I think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif All hunters need to stick together like you said and not down another group for their style of hunting. I read some of their comments and they went too far! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I agree whomever posted the link on that site to LRH should be flogged! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif So to them I say If you dont like this site and dont believe the posts stay the Hell off of it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif To you goodgrouper I say Preach on brother! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Most of those people over there probably do not even know which end they are supposed to point at their target. I am getting ripped on over there now but I guess if that is what makes a person feel good about himself. The only reason I belong to that forum is because some members know a good deal about DG hunting and BG hunting. To the none believers you can kiss my #$$!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.