zeroing grp for dialing out & exbal ???

lamiglas

I have a DE 338 edge with the NF 5.5-22x56. I am shooting 3/8" groups but the center of the groups are 1/2" low at 100yards. Do i need to change this?

the other day i was 1/2" high and i had to reset the zero stop and move it down 2 clicks. now it is 1/2" low and i really dont want to mess with it if i dont have to.

the question is: if i am 1/2" low at 100 yards, how will that affect my exbal reading for longer ranges?

I don't know what bullet or velocity you are shooting, but it sounds like you may be about 5"" low at 1000 yds. ??

If you are 1/2" low at 100 yards that equals 2 clicks. So if you run your drop charts with a 100 zero then no matter what the range add 2 clicks and you will be OK.

lamiglas,
I would try to take the time to get it right on at 100yards. However, a 1/2" off is probably not to big a deal, as you will want to do trajectory validation on your drops anyway.

thanks for the replies. the validation is what i was wondering about. if i shoot 800 yds and run a trajectory validation, will it be off at 1000 because my sight in distance is 100 yards but really i am shooting 1/2 low at 100 yards?

thanks again, I think I will try to zero one more time. i would rather it be perfect at 100 yds if possible.

In your exbal software select "Program options" then select "match sight in point". Enter the data and hit "calculate" then you will know your zero distance for input in the other trajectory functions.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.