Youth 4H 22

Sykes

My son is going to do .22 lr in 4h this year, his first year. He is 9, a great shot and has been shooting since he was 4. He has out grown his little rascal .22lr single shot. 4H wants a bolt action, all we have is semi autos. Also open sights only. Looking for input on what rifle to get him. Leaning towards the CZ 457 scout. Wonder what else may be a solid option

The 457 Scout is an excellent choice. The ability to run as a singleshot, 5 rounder or 10 rounder along with being able to reddot or scope it as needed. You can also uprade bolt handles and slap it into an adult stock when he grows outta it........

IMG_E1607.JPG

IMG_E1722.JPG

heck, you can even customize it with a paint job, if'n ya want.....
IMG_1938_(2).JPG

The 457 Scout is an excellent choice. The ability to run as a singleshot, 5 rounder or 10 rounder along with being able to reddot or scope it as needed. You can also uprade bolt handles and slap it into an adult stock when he grows outta it........

IMG_E1607.JPG

IMG_E1722.JPG

heck, you can even customize it with a paint job, if'n ya want.....
IMG_1938_(2).JPG
For sale??? Haha just kidding

If there is no restriction on length get the longest barrel you can. When you're using iron sights the further the front and rear sight are apart the more precise you can be. Just food for thought.

When my granddaughter was in the 4H shooting sports,she used my old browning t bolt. Great old gun. Came with aperture rear sight,blade front. So if I had to do it now,might try a Ruger precision rimfire. I would think you could put a magpul sights on the pickitinny rail. Stock is adjustable. They will shoot CCI sv in the 10 ring at 50 feet. Just a thought...

My kids are also doing 4-H 22LR and Archery for the first time this year. I got them Ruger American rimfire compact rifles, open sights from the factory, Rimfire rail as well as drilled and tapped for Weaver style scope mounts and the take 10/22 mags. I ordered 3-D printed single shot sleds from a guy on ebay and they work great. You can buy the standard length stock extension for $25 with or without cheek riser and change them in about 1 minute. And the barrel is threaded! So far so good.