.22 scope

bstomper

I had this in the scope section but I had no response. It is more fitting here.
I am going to upgrade my scope on my 7mm. It has a bushnell elite 3200
3-9x40 on it right now. I was going to use it on my rugger 10/22. I have had a few guys tell me that it would not work for a .22, but they couldn't explain why. Is this true and if so why.

It will work on your 10/22. The only problem I have encountered is centerfire scopes normally have the parallex set for 100 yds. Rimfire scopes are normally set for closer ranges. I had to buy a centerfire scope with an adjustable objective to fix this.

I agree with T., your scope while not optimal for a rimfire will function just fine for probably 99% of what you are going to use it for.....plinking, critters,targets should not be a problem.
If you were interested in a Rimfire specific scope, Nikon has a New 2011 ProStaff Rimfire 3-9 BDC 150 with a Parallax down to 50 yards. I have this scope mounted on a Ruger 10/22 and have had nothing but fun with it. Using Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program allows you to fine tune your accuracy even more with this scope.
Here's a pic of my rig right after I mounted it up.
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/ProStaffRimfire.jpg

no matter the brand name you select, for best performance, select a rimfire specific optic.

Interesting read on adjusting parallax, I don't think I'll try it on my VX-3 though.

I have a Mueller 4.5-14 X 40 AO APT that will focus down to 8 yards. Also have a Konus Pro 6.5-24 X 44 AO, it too will focus close, but the Mueller is clearer and about half price of the Konus. Mueller scopes are great for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.