Your SHTF mandatory gun list.

Curious, why not a 45acp? I only mention it because I have ammo and components. You may have your own reasons, I'm sure.
45 ACP would be good. But the reality is whatever sidearm you had a good supply of ammo for. For me that's the 40 S&W and 38spl/ 357 mag. All I need is a barrel and some bullets I could add 9mm since I have dies and some components.

You wouldn't take a side arm while moving? Good list. I like it.
I 'probably' wouldn't. It's mostly extra weight. If you've got a rifle you are able to 'wield', the sidearm is permanently relegated to backup duties.

Why carry two hammers when you only plan to use one?

Now, if carrying a sidearm wasn't overly cumbersome, why not?

I am afraid if it took 1000 rounds, the other side might have already called in an air strike. We can carry anything we want, but artillery wins. I don't have that. I would carry what I need to hunt and hide.
Most everybody here has something they have thought about for SHTF, at least as far as firearms go, but weight is a big factor right after availability. I've been wanting to put in my 2 cents so I guess I'll get it over with. Because these are the most common cartridges in the basic five smokeless firearm types; and they cover 99% + of the purposes you'd want a firearm for they are what I recommend to anyone that asks about prepping.

22LR - Rimfire
9mm - Pistol
12ga. - Shotgun
.223/5.56 - Centerfire Carbine
.308/7.62 - Centerfire Rifle

After you have those you can think about heavier, or favorites. While your at it go ahead and get something for anti-material & extreme long range sniping. Maybe get a yourself Gatling Gun for the big hordes lol. BTW don't forget 10 years of food and ammo for yourself and your loved ones too.

Haven't heard anybody mention Communications, Geo-Caching, Priest Holes or Tiger Pits yet. Though the gasoline sprinkler system was a pretty hot idea. It makes the point that there is a lot you can do with construction & landscaping. For example metal roofs with wild fire suppression sprinklers, impenetrable hedges, infra red spotlights and cameras, kill zones and firing lanes, but I guess that's really a whole different thread.

I 'probably' wouldn't. It's mostly extra weight. If you've got a rifle you are able to 'wield', the sidearm is permanently relegated to backup duties.

Why carry two hammers when you only plan to use one?

Now, if carrying a sidearm wasn't overly cumbersome, why not?
I tell you what. Now that a completed sentence in Texas. 😂 . I carryied 2 in Vietnam. AR-15 or Car-15 and 1911 45. That was 45-18 round clip for AR-15, 3 clips for the 45, and a box of 50. 200 round for the hog, how many grenades I lost count of. Walking as a 10 man team, you were your only fire support if SHTF. Twice our team lost half in poorly done engagement. I was there on one of those engagements. The ammo wasn't so much for me, but for my men. I was a combat medic. So my hands were full, but I could be a resupplier of ammo to the others. Being 6-2 tall I could carry a lot of ammo. My body weight was down to 155lbs. I went from 215lbs. Down to a 25" wastes from a 32" wastes or a little smaller. Now I didn't carry that all day, but for several hours.

Last edited:

Recent Posts